World of Warships

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Re: World of Warships

Post by Lonestar »

Having fun with the Graf Spee so far

"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

Nice. A Spee almost ruined a mega game in the Fuso for me. We had a distinct ship advantage, so I didn't mind going the long way around A to lob shells at a Warspite and Cleveland who were playing the back of the map.

In the time it took me to get around an island we lost multiple ships and were well behind on points. I turned into A and ran face-first into a Leander with my guns facing the wrong way. Somehow torpedobeated around his entire tube complement and shotgunned him from <1km. By the time I had re-capped A, it was down to the Warspite advancing on B and our Graf Spee refusing the close in - they were around 900 points at this time.

Finally (942 points or something) he gets inside B to block them winning on points, and plays evasive enough for me to close the distance/get LoS. I land an excellent salvo almost at the same time as the Graf gets his torpedoes home. Warspite burns to death a few seconds later.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

I don't understand how people can love the Spee.

If - in any other ship - an enemy cruiser goes broadside within 12km to me, I can kill him in two to three salvos.
Only on the Spee I take five.

She is just so underwhelming....
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

8 km torps and BB-caliber guns, mostly.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

'tis the weekends, where you can have an average damage of over 100k and still get a sub 60% wr.
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

To me, the Scharnhorst is everything the Spee is but better. What should be slightly better guns (don't have a Spee, haven't had time to play), one extra turret of those guns, faster, better armor that is quite trolly if you know how to angle...

About the only advantage the Spee has is being a tier lower and having better torps/torp angles. To me, that isn't enough to put her over Scharnhorst, especially with the current meta having T7 as one of the best tiers to play at.

At least, IMO.
SDNW5: Republic of Arcadia...Sweden in SPAAACE
Raesene
Jedi Master

Post by Raesene »

Neptune is a monster, even in my hands - two games in her against mostly tier IX and VIII with about 100k dmg and about 2000 base XP.
And I thought Edinburg was good.

I just love the RN CL-line (even Emerald as a fun ship).

"In view of the circumstances, Britannia waives the rules."

"All you have to do is to look at Northern Ireland, [...] to see how seriously the religious folks take "thou shall not kill. The more devout they are, the more they see murder as being negotiable." George Carlin

"We need to make gay people live in fear again! What ever happened to the traditional family values of persecution and lies?" - Darth Wong
"The closet got full and some homosexuals may have escaped onto the internet?"- Stormbringer

montypython
Jedi Master

Post by montypython »

Love the Bayern maxed out, best T6 I've had so far on the balance, just wish I had better teams to maximize ship performance with.
atg
Jedi Master

Post by atg »

Skywalker_T-65 wrote:To me, the Scharnhorst is everything the Spee is but better. What should be slightly better guns (don't have a Spee, haven't had time to play), one extra turret of those guns, faster, better armor that is quite trolly if you know how to angle...

About the only advantage the Spee has is being a tier lower and having better torps/torp angles. To me, that isn't enough to put her over Scharnhorst, especially with the current meta having T7 as one of the best tiers to play at.

At least, IMO.
Well its kinda apples to oranges. One ships is a BB, one is a cruiser. One should be played like a BB, one should be played like a cruiser. If you want to get into close range brawls with BBs then take the Scharnhorst. If you want to play a traditional cruiser then go the Spee.
Marcus Aurelius: ...the Swedish S-tank; the exception is made mostly because the Swedes insisted really hard that it is a tank rather than a tank destroyer or assault gun
Ilya Muromets: And now I have this image of a massive, stern-looking Swede staring down a bunch of military nerds. "It's a tank." "Uh, yes Sir. Please don't hurt us."
Agent Fisher
Rabid Monkey

Post by Agent Fisher »

So... I was weak. I bought three more santa crates, just as one last hurrah. 1000 doubloons, a gremy which I already had so dubloons for that. ANd a Tirpitz. Yeah, I've gotten my moneys worth out of these things.
Stormin
Jedi Knight

Post by Stormin »

Xmas crates are evil. Yes I spent way too much, and yes I've been crazy lucky with them. Don't know if they will kill WGs rest of year sales though as a lot of people ended up with a lot of stuff to last quite a while and others will likely be saving for the next crate release.
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

47k+ of that was with a North Carolina, with almost 30k me hitting the CV from about 13km away.

I collided with an island and for whatever the reason it wouldn't let me backout. Spent the next few minutes watching in terror as the enemy CV torpedo bomber squadron reduced me to nothing.
darthkommandant
Padawan Learner

Post by darthkommandant »

Bought a Xmas crate and got the Ischiuzi. Not a bad gift for 5 bucks. Thx Wargaming.
Tiger II fanboy
Agent Fisher
Rabid Monkey

Post by Agent Fisher »

Welp, new skills, one dubloon for retraining of commanders. Time to see if RPF is as stealth breaking as the DD community fears.
Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

The new skills are going to take some time to wrap my head around. Removing level 5 skills entirely puts some pretty exciting possibilities into play - Concealment AND Lol2ndaries on certain BBs comes to mind right away.

Full patch notes and skill breakdown: https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/com ... notes-060/

RFP is totally good for the game, guys! https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/com ... nders/#faq
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

I got killed by a Mutsu tonight.

did they release them? Was it a super tester maybe?
Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

Lonestar wrote:I got killed by a Mutsu tonight.

did they release them? Was it a super tester maybe?
Must be a supertester. No info on the site yet.

What tier was the one you saw?

Info I found is actually pretty interesting - a bone-stock Nagato at Tier 6, with two torp tubes on each side with terrible arcs and slow speed, but very fast reload. Could find a niche as a fast midrange brawler with the torps, maybe.

http://forum.worldofwarships.eu/index.p ... attleship/

https://sea-group.org/?p=2042&lang=en

The IJN really needs more high-tier Premiums (for consumer choices, and maximum abusive-price-gouging - everybody wins!) - the US has Atlanta, Arizona, Sims, Indianapolis, and sometimes floats out the Saipan. Plus Mighty Mo for the unicum/wallet whale/basement fortress demographic.

The IJN has... the Atago. And Ishizuchi.
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Tier VII I believe. He killed me with torps, complete surprise.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Wait wait wait

Mutsu has torps?
SDNW5: Republic of Arcadia...Sweden in SPAAACE
Khaat
Jedi Master

Post by Khaat »

wiki wrote:Around 1926, the four above-water torpedo tubes were removed and the ship received three additional 76 mm AA guns that were situated around the base of the foremast.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_battleship_Mutsu

Maybe they rolled it back for less AA in-game?
Rule #1: Believe the autocrat. He means what he says.
Rule #2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule #3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule #4: Be outraged.
Rule #5: Don’t make compromises.
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Skywalker_T-65 wrote:Wait wait wait

Mutsu has torps?
Yeah that was a surprise lol
Agent Fisher
Rabid Monkey

Post by Agent Fisher »

USS Atlanta, with HEAP ( or IFHE if you wanna use the game term) rounds. Holy mother of god. Play it right and you devastate cruisers and melt everyone else. 80 thousand damage in a game, took on a Graf Spee, wiped him, took on a New Mexico and got it down to a bout 10000 HP before he finally got me. Oh and adrenaline rush with that and when you're down to about 10% health, there's practically no silence if you're chain firing the guns.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

I think the commander skills are actually a great improvement for cruisers, less so for BBs and DDs (though some BBs like Yamato profit, others like GK and Montana do not). But priority target is such a useful skill on cruisers. HEAP murders BBs, especially if you spec for DE as well. Don't be a potato and take it on anything that does not have 150-155mm caliber.

Here are my captain skills so far for my ships:

1. US BBs (except Missouri)
Tier 1. Preventive maintenance allows you to switch Main Armaments Mod 1 for Aux. Armaments Mod 1, which makes your AA surive far longer. Double Catapult fighter is great to fuck CVs
Tier 2: EM for extra turret turning
Tier 3: SI for extra heal
Tier 4: CE for stealth, AFT and MAA for ruining the day of any CV.
Reasoning: Montana is great at being stealthy and having AA. Thus, you want to buff that. Potatoes think they have to buff the weaknesses of a ship. This is wrong. You want to buff the strength and play around the weaknesses by having better positioning etc. This buiild allows you to become untouchable to anything except unicum CV players and even then you will make them pay. It also allows you to stay safe at 15 km. Because if you stay at that range you become concealed after firing and waiting 20 seconds, meaning you can safely relocate if you need too.

2. USS Missouri
Yes, I have her. Yes, I have a dedicated Missouri captain. No, I did not pay a single cent for her as I had freeXP saved up.
Tier 1: You could take preventive maintenance instead, but everybody hates Missouris and focuses them because they are jealous they don't have one. So it is good to know how many people are aiming at you. No catapult fighter skill because you don't have one - unless you trade radar for fighter in which case you should go play Iowa instead.
Tier 2: Em for turret rotation, Jack of All Trades and High Alert for faster heal and DCP (awesome combination). Adrenaline rush for better DPS in knife-fights and when you are low health. (You can get the reload down to almost 20 seconds if you are very low).
Tier 3: Basics of Suriviability (because everybody wants you dead) and SI for the extra heal.
Tier 4: CE for stealth. Same reasons as Montana. You could also go for Fire Prevention and drop Jack and High Alert for that. I don't because I am not a pussy because I know how to control fires. I almost never die due to fires in my BBs, what I do die to is other BBs or torps. You got radar to see DDs, so less torps and Jack and HA is better for dealing with BB damage. So far Fire prevention is only good if you always bow on and always get HE-spammed.

3. IJN BBs, including YAMATO
Tier 1: Catapult fighter, your turrets rarely break anyway.
Tier 2: Jack and EM. See above why.
Tier 3: Same as above
Tier 4: CE and AFT.
Out of all the Battleships, I think Yamato got buffed the most in this patch. Because you can now do an insanely survivable build like I did. Basically what I did was to trade manual secondaries and 2.3km of secondary gun range for Stealth (13.5km detection range on a YAMATO) and more survivability. This is a great tradeoff as nobody wants to come close to you anyway so you might just as well but everything into longrange firepower. Also, you still got pretty great secondaries even without manual control.

4. German BBs, including GROSSER KURFÜRST but excluding Bismarck, Scharnhorst and Tirpitz
Tier 1: Preventive Maintenance (DO equip Aux. Arm. Mod 1) and Catapult fighter
Tier 2: EM for turrets
Tier 3: SI for extra heal and EXTRA HYDRO (main selling point of SI over BoS)
Tier 4: CE, AFT and Manual Secondaries.
Reasoning: The Große Kurfürst is IMO the strongest Battleship in the game right now because she got a massive health pool. The Große Potatowurst is so tanky already that she does not need a lot of survivability - and stealth provides all the buffer she needs (see above Montana section on how to properly utilize stealth in a BB). Her awesome secondaries are the best in the game. You could switch CE for Manual AA to make the AA truly murderous, but I rarely die to carriers so I do not need it. Do not yolo in and think that you NEED TO USE THE SECONDARIES HERP DERP OH WAIT I AM DEAD WAAAH. Keep them for when you absolutely positively need to murder the DD that is camping in smoke 8 km away from you or for when that torpedo cruiser is typing ALOHA SNACKBAR in allchat and proceeds to yolocharge you.

5. Bismarck
Same build as above, but switching Concealment for Manual AA (because more CVs need their planes murdered at T8 than at T10) and Expert Marksmen for Adrenaline Rush (your turrets already turn with cruiser speed, why you need more? Go buff main guns instead). Also priority target because getting focused while pushing is pretty nice to know.

I previously said that GK is the strongest BB in the game. That is true. But Bismarck is the best BB in the game right now, she is so much more fun than any other ship. She is so versatile and so tanky that you almost only want to play her.

6. Scharnhorst and Tirpitz
Almost the same as the Bismarck build but using CE instead of secondaries as they don't have as many or as great secondaries.

I also got some specialized builds for BBs like Dunkirk, Texas, Arizona and Warspite but unless somebody requests them I won't take the trouble to write them up.

EDIT: Cruiser and DD specs to follow.
------------
------------
My LPs
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

So this happened.

Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Does IFHE makes sense on a Cleveland? Or is the armor piercing of its HE shells too low it's a waste of skillpoints and should you go demolition expert all the way?
How about IFHE on a Pensacola captain? Great because of it's bigger gerns or still AP all the way?