World of Warships

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

muse
Jedi Council Member

Re: World of Warships

Post by muse »

wautd wrote: 2018-02-05 10:26am Thanas, which video podcasts on WoWs would you recommend then?
Flamu by a mile. He's rather salty but his game play critiques and recommended ship build videos have made my lower tier games into seal clubbing (I'm only at tier 5).

Flambass also puts out good game play, and he's especially hilarious when he uses Captain Hans.
ø¤ º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur.
(Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound.)

I like Celine Dion myself. Her ballads alone....they make me go all teary-eyed and shit.
- Havok
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

What about panzerknacker?
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

wautd wrote: 2018-02-06 09:34am What about panzerknacker?
He does not play himself and only rips content from others.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Anacronian
Padawan Learner

Post by Anacronian »

Thanas wrote: 2018-02-06 07:50am So EU beat NA by 7:1 and then this happens. NA LUL.
Cheesus! :wanker:
Homo sapiens! What an inventive, invincible species! It's only been a few million years since they crawled up out of the mud and learned to walk. Puny, defenseless bipeds. They've survived flood, famine and plague. They've survived cosmic wars and holocausts. And now, here they are, out among the stars, waiting to begin a new life. Ready to outsit eternity. They're indomitable... indomitable. ~ Dr.Who
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

So... anyone got to try out the new French BB's yet? I got myself the tier 5 & 7 yet and about to unlock the tier 6.
I've found the Bretagne is very much meh but holy cow the Lyon is such a fun boat. 16! guns. Offcourse you need to show a lot of broadside to fire them all but for the front 2 turrets not so much actually. And it has decent speed and turret turning so far less frustrating than the October Revolutia.
I've only played a handful of matches with it but at first sight they're pretty decent too (both in HE and AP). Hell, I somehow managed to score a citidel hit on a Derpitz :shock:
Did I mention it appears to have an awful lot of AA mounts too? Can't say anything about its AA efficacy yet though.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

They seem to be awfully heavy at the mercy of RNG.

in other news:

444 achieved, now going for 555.
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Is that for the Euro Server only? They have some sort of crate thing going on with BBs on the NA server.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

No it is the same for all servers, look into your combat missions.
------------
------------
My LPs
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

I...don't think so? It looks like you can only get them through boxes on NA. Wautd was talking about "almost" unlocking a tier 6
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Lonestar wrote: 2018-02-22 11:06am I...don't think so? It looks like you can only get them through boxes on NA. Wautd was talking about "almost" unlocking a tier 6
You get boxes through the french mission chain in your combat missions. These have a chance of giving you the misssions.
------------
------------
My LPs
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Hey, a replay made another highlight video:

------------
------------
My LPs
Highlord Laan
Jedi Master
Location: Christo-fundie Theofascist Dominion of Nebraskistan

Post by Highlord Laan »

muse wrote: 2018-02-06 09:21am
wautd wrote: 2018-02-05 10:26am Thanas, which video podcasts on WoWs would you recommend then?
Flamu by a mile. He's rather salty but his game play critiques and recommended ship build videos have made my lower tier games into seal clubbing (I'm only at tier 5).

Flambass also puts out good game play, and he's especially hilarious when he uses Captain Hans.
The Mighty Gnome Overloard, His Eternal Grand Majesty Rear Admiral Jingles, of course.

I've decided to get back in World of Warships to try and have fun again. I'm glad I did, because I'm having a blast. I'm going up the USN Battleship line because I play for booming guns and blazing slugfests, not spreading the torpeedus epidemic.

Been smashing faces and happily brawling along in the New Mexico for the past week. Opened up the Colorado, upgraded it, and somehow found it lacking. It's no slower than the New Mexico, it's guns aren't bad at all, and it's an even more heavily armored behemoth. But for some reason, I find it aggravating and lacking. I've played it several matches and went back to the New Mexico.

Really looking forward to the North Carolina and am giving serious thought to dropping $50 on an Alabama. Much as I love my dear Latin-American back-alley brawler, I would really like to break 20 knots without having to use a flag. As for the 'Bama, the SoDaks have always been one of my favorite ships. I prefer her harder angles to the Iowas sweeping lines.

A real funny one took place earlier. One of the enemy CV's was being a right sonuvabith with his topreedus bombers. I'd just had to pull a very hard turn to not run my New Mexico over a blind and stupid Graf Spee that wasn't looking where she was going. Sideswiped her while laying on the horn and caught a perfect cross-drop from the dammed Ranger. Two skill walls, three each side, took both on the belts. Somehow I didn't start flooding.

After shooting down the last of the planes, I managed to shake detection and move into where I thought i'd be able to lay in some long-range shots, because the New Mexico won't be winning any races. I love ya, baby. But you are slow

Anyway. I round an island, and what should appear? The dammed Ranger, who'd run off to a new location to continue her trolling. And my guns were pre-aimed.

*BOOM GOES THE FIREWORKS*

All twelve guns, got eight citadels and a devastating strike. Surprise, motherfucker. Not often a New Mexico manages to sneak up on someone.

I wish there was a way to christen our ships and have the name show up not only on the hull, but in the tag when people hold ALT ingame. Because after that battle I would christen my New Mexico the USS Ninja
Never underestimate the ingenuity and cruelty of the Irish.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Highlord Laan wrote: 2018-02-24 11:22pm
muse wrote: 2018-02-06 09:21am

The Mighty Gnome Overloard, His Eternal Grand Majesty Rear Admiral Jingles, of course.
Oh god pls no.

He is entertaining but he himself admits he is the last person you should look for advice.
------------
------------
My LPs
montypython
Jedi Master

Post by montypython »

In random battles I seem to have better effect with the Bismarck than NC, with Bismarck I can put pressure on a flank, but with NC I seem to get focus fired way too much.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Detonations are truly fun and engaging.

Can you guess from the following screenshots in which games I detonated?
https://i.imgur.com/LA3wSEz.png
------------
------------
My LPs
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Another ranked season is upon us and since I didn't engage in the last season my rank had slipped to 18.

The number of players at this level that just park their brawler BBs several kilometers from the nearest cap is infuriating. Or when we all agree we're going to advance on a cap and all the other BBs dial their speed down to 1/2 or 1/4
Agent Fisher
Rabid Monkey

Post by Agent Fisher »

I like T8 Cleveland. Can't wait for the rest of the US CLs
Patroklos
Sith Devotee

Post by Patroklos »

A US cruiser renovation and no Alaska? For shame!
Highlord Laan
Jedi Master
Location: Christo-fundie Theofascist Dominion of Nebraskistan

Post by Highlord Laan »

All the tears and hate from destroyer players makes me grin. They're finally having the kind of hotile game experience that the rest of us have had to put up with, and they're screeching like petulant children.

It's amazing. They can't just cloak up and send whomever they desire back to port at whim and leisure, so they act like they're being singled out. Cry on, you fucking stealth trolling shitheels. Let's see those Elite Destroyer Mad Skills in action, yeah?

How's that skill floor now?
Never underestimate the ingenuity and cruelty of the Irish.
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

What did they change to piss off the destroyers? I glanced over the .75 notes to see if it had anything to merit me playing again, collected my new captain points for Pensacola, I think I did anyway, and then shut the game down again. Didn't notice whatever it is that would annoy them, wargaming already annoyed me out of the game a long time ago.

I mean lol a Cleveland is now a tier eight somehow, and we have a sort of paper sort of fake american cruiser that's identical to a bunch of other ships they made up that 99% of American naval fans will have no clue even has a slight basis in reality, but not a Brooklyn to be seen? This does not sell the game well.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Khaat
Jedi Master

Post by Khaat »

Lots more cruisers now have radar, so DDs have to contend with their job (scout, cap, etc) being dumped on because "why, yes! I do have radar!" everywhere. If the next patch nerfs radar like, say, detectability (like firing extending detectability range) and torpedoes (which don't go through islands!). They could even stage it, so radar/hydro can locate (you know he's there) but not detect (you can target him) behind islands.
Rule #1: Believe the autocrat. He means what he says.
Rule #2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule #3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule #4: Be outraged.
Rule #5: Don’t make compromises.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Highlord Laan wrote: 2018-06-11 10:22pm All the tears and hate from destroyer players makes me grin. They're finally having the kind of hotile game experience that the rest of us have had to put up with, and they're screeching like petulant children.

It's amazing. They can't just cloak up and send whomever they desire back to port at whim and leisure, so they act like they're being singled out. Cry on, you fucking stealth trolling shitheels. Let's see those Elite Destroyer Mad Skills in action, yeah?

How's that skill floor now?

Oh you can fuck right off, you absolute potato. Nothing what you wrote makes any sense.

Sea Skimmer wrote: 2018-06-13 11:11pm What did they change to piss off the destroyers? I glanced over the .75 notes to see if it had anything to merit me playing again, collected my new captain points for Pensacola, I think I did anyway, and then shut the game down again. Didn't notice whatever it is that would annoy them, wargaming already annoyed me out of the game a long time ago.
There are several long-standing issues with DDs that they did not change. For example, a single BB salvo will easily take of 80% of your hitpoints, there is the magic of a single BB shell doing 9k dmg to DDs (when dmg was supposed to be capped at 4.5k max per shell hit) etc.

Now they coupled that with - due to the new US cruisers - of there being around 4-6 radars standard per side. They also reduced domination points to two on most maps, so now every radar cruiser knows where the DD will go. That leads you - when you attempt to captuire the point - to be constantly lit up for 2 minutes straight. There is no DD in the game that can survive two minutes of focus fire while sitting inside a capture point.

Add to that they also added a campaign heavily promoting the use of carriers and you can see why DDs hate the game right now.

Extra fun: They also gave each of the new US CLs hydro, so now you can't even torp them and when they yolo rush you you better hope your team BBs are not the braindead cowards sniping from max range that they usually are or you are dead.

Sea Skimmer wrote: 2018-06-13 11:11pm I mean lol a Cleveland is now a tier eight somehow, and we have a sort of paper sort of fake american cruiser that's identical to a bunch of other ships they made up that 99% of American naval fans will have no clue even has a slight basis in reality, but not a Brooklyn to be seen? This does not sell the game well.
USS Boise will be released within the next two updates.
------------
------------
My LPs
Agent Fisher
Rabid Monkey

Post by Agent Fisher »

I have to say, of the new USN CLs, the USS Helena, IMO, is the best when it comes to tier, ability, and fun. Based on the St. Louis class, which were upgraded Brooklyns, in the hands of a skilled player, and assuming not as bottom tier in a T9 match, it can be a beast of a ship.
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Agent Fisher wrote: 2018-07-16 12:12pm I have to say, of the new USN CLs, the USS Helena, IMO, is the best when it comes to tier, ability, and fun. Based on the St. Louis class, which were upgraded Brooklyns, in the hands of a skilled player, and assuming not as bottom tier in a T9 match, it can be a beast of a ship.
I guess you can't go wrong with 15 guns. Time to get the Omaha back out of port
Agent Fisher
Rabid Monkey

Post by Agent Fisher »

Not my best work in a Helena, but I did get the Gnes after it got me. Just an example of what this ship can do.