Any disadvantage to gaming laptop for real work?

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Any disadvantage to gaming laptop for real work?

Post by Adam Reynolds »

Other than the obvious problem of price anyway. Not to mention that it would make it easier to be distracted when doing said real work.

I do realize that it is usually much weaker than a proper gaming desktop however. Does anyone have any suggestions on models?
White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Re: Any disadvantage to gaming laptop for real work?

Post by White Haven »

It's going to be heavier, generate more heat, and likely have less battery capacity than a non-gaming laptop. While it can certainly get the job done, if you're using it in a more portable role, you might be better off with something more fit-for-purpose, thin and lightweight.
Chronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

Out of Context Theatre, this week starring Darth Nostril.
-'If you really want to fuck with these idiots tell them that there is a vaccine for chemtrails.'

Fiction!: The Final War (Bolo/Lovecraft) (Ch 7 9/15/11), Living (D&D, Complete)Image
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

White Haven wrote:It's going to be heavier, generate more heat, and likely have less battery capacity than a non-gaming laptop. While it can certainly get the job done, if you're using it in a more portable role, you might be better off with something more fit-for-purpose, thin and lightweight.
Two of these are not necessarily true. Pretty much all laptops employ switchable graphics and many use bigger battery to compensate for the extra dedicated GPU's. When your doing work those GPU's are shut off in favor of the on CPU one.

Heavier and price are the only two marks left against gaming laptops being used for office work.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

Do you have compute heavy work that may have to be done in multiple locations without the benefit of a network?
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Define "real work". I bought a midrange laptop last year for $600 that can play a decent range of games and handles Office tasks pretty well. It can even run more intensive programs like Inventor or AutoCAD if I need to.

As far as models go, I've actually been pretty happy with Dell's lineup. If I had the cash I'd probably drop it on an XPS.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

General Zod wrote: As far as models go, I've actually been pretty happy with Dell's lineup. If I had the cash I'd probably drop it on an XPS.
Dell as always have a cavet, some of their models are utter shit for build quality and they put out new models every six months or less. The 13inch XPS, 15inch XPS are great, but the 17inch XPS the build quality is utter shit. But hey don't worry the V2 the 13 inch XPS went to shit and the 17 inch is now great.

I still don't know how Dell manages it. Twice a year for a decade now they randomly forget how to install a laptop keyboard or they ship the monitors with a backing that warps easily. Or suddenly the wrist stop discolors inside a month when exposed to something acidic like oh human sweat. It's bloody bizarre.

The comparison I've heard it's as if every 5th model of car Honda produced had the exhaust vent into the truck. It makes no sense from a modern design point yet somehow without fail every Dell model year has some bizarre manufacturing decision.

*Edit just checked this year the XPS 14 Ultrabook is the shit model which has all sorts of issues with the chassis in both the keyboard can come lose and the hard drive housing can be easily bent resulting in lots of HD vibration because they reduced the bracket thickness by 40% in this years model.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

That's them probably trying to get people to up their game to their alienware line. We use that at our office, where about none of the things you describe happen. Kinda sad, really.