Elite: Dangerous

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Executor32
Jedi Council Member
Location: In a Georgia courtroom, watching a spectacle unfold

Elite: Dangerous

Post by Executor32 »

Anyone else been playing this? My friend got it for me as a slightly-late Christmas present, and I've been playing it almost exclusively since.

No words I can say can really do it justice, so here's a few screenshots I've taken during my travels:

The sun rising over a distant world.

A very close-set trinary star system.

A closeup of the two on the left.

The swank interior of an Ocellus-class station.

I came to this system to find a black hole. I've found two planets orbiting it, but no sign of the hole itself.

Found it! Turns out the planets were orbiting a barycenter several hundred light-seconds away from the actual hole.

Black holes in this game look sick as hell. I dared not get any closer.

The system map for the system with the black hole.

oh god how did i get here
どうして?お前が夜に自身お触れるから。
Long ago in a distant land, I, Aku, the shape-shifting Master of Darkness, unleashed an unspeakable evil,
but a foolish samurai warrior wielding a magic sword stepped forth to oppose me. Before the final blow
was struck, I tore open a portal in time and flung him into the future, where my evil is law! Now, the fool
seeks to return to the past, and undo the future that is Aku...
-Aku, Master of Masters, Deliverer of Darkness, Shogun of Sorrow
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Re: Elite: Dangerous

Post by Purple »

This thing looks mondo graphics heavy. How well does it run?
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Executor32
Jedi Council Member

Post by Executor32 »

It runs smoothly at 1920x1080 and medium/high settings on my 1GB GTX 560 Ti. I can only imagine how much nicer it looks on a card like the GTX 970/980.

Graphics aside, the most amazing thing about the game is the sheer scale of it, and they're only getting started. Right now, roughly 100 billion star systems are simulated, including all catalogued stars and exoplanets, with the remainder being procedurally generated. Besides the usual space sim flight at terrestrial speeds, your ship's frame-shift drive enables both in-system FTL flight and near-instant hyperspace travel between systems. All of this is to scale, with transitions between travel modes being near-seamless. Future expansions will add the ability to land on planets and walk around, with FPS-style ground combat, and flight from orbit to the surface will be completely seamless.

Suffice to say, as these expansions come out I plan on giving them all of the money.
どうして?お前が夜に自身お触れるから。
Long ago in a distant land, I, Aku, the shape-shifting Master of Darkness, unleashed an unspeakable evil,
but a foolish samurai warrior wielding a magic sword stepped forth to oppose me. Before the final blow
was struck, I tore open a portal in time and flung him into the future, where my evil is law! Now, the fool
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Looks to be great. Though I'm holding out for the PC version of No Man's Sky before getting Elite: Dangerous.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Executor32
Jedi Council Member

Post by Executor32 »

I'm definitely getting that, too, because space dinosaurs.

Also, look what I found at a nav point in the Sol system labeled 'Ancient Probe':

Here's a shot from another angle, with Sol selected as a distance reference:

A nice touch is that once you drop out of supercruise at the nav point, you start picking up a transmission of the 'Greetings from Earth' section of the Golden Record.
どうして?お前が夜に自身お触れるから。
Darmalus
Jedi Master

Post by Darmalus »

Pretty, but what's the actual play like?
Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Terralthra »

But...the Golden Record isn't actually playing as Voyager floats through space. Sigh.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

I see a message about daily maintenance in that last picture. Naturally I wanted to know when. Partly to know if it's a problematic time, partly to see which timezone(s) the message is announced in.

One quick Google later:

Server Maintenance Downtime Over Christmas Period
Elite Dangerous servers unavailable daily between 0700 and 0715 UTC

Dear Commanders,

In order to provide the most reliable game experience during our busiest times of the day, we are starting a daily maintenance period during which the Elite: Dangerous adjudication servers will be offline.

As for when we release new game updates, Server Broadcasts will be sent out giving 30 minutes advanced warning to let you fly somewhere safe.
After the maintenance, the game servers should be available again within 15 minutes.

We appreciate that this will be inconvenient for Commanders playing at that time, but we believe that having predictable times when we all expect the game to be unavailable will let us provide a better experience for everybody.

Yours,

The Server Team
Status page
Elite: Dangerous servers are unavailable for 5 to 10 minutes during scheduled daily maintenance at 7am (GMT)
Being in New Zealand, this is a problem as I'm looking at a 7pm/8pm downtime depending on DST.
Executor32
Jedi Council Member

Post by Executor32 »

Terralthra wrote:But...the Golden Record isn't actually playing as Voyager floats through space. Sigh.
I know that, but I can forgive them for taking a bit of artistic license.

bilateralrope: Yeah, the daily maintenance is a tad annoying, but as they say, it's usually for only 5-10 minutes (1 AM my time). I just get up, take a piss, grab a drink and/or make a snack, and by the time I get back it's usually over.

Darmalus: Mostly like other space combat games. Flight is normally non-Newtonian, but there's a button to toggle 'flight assist' so you can fly realistically if you wish. Other than space combat in the form of bounty hunting, combat zones, and piracy (both partaking in and being the victim of), you can also haul cargo between systems, mine asteroid belts and planetary rings for raw materials to refine and sell in the commodities market, and explore new star systems, selling the exploration data you gather once you land back at a station or outpost. These can be done either of your own volition, or for missions in the case of everything but exploration. For someone like me, who usually spends most of his time in sandbox games fucking around doing random shit instead of playing storyline missions, it's like a dream come true.

I should also mention that it's online-only, with open play, private group, and solo modes that all make use of the same inter-system trade and faction data and whatnot. Open play is the mode most people play in, from what I gather, but it's basically DayZ in space so I haven't mustered up the courage to give it a try yet.
どうして?お前が夜に自身お触れるから。
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

What I want to know is, does it play The Blue Danube when you activate the docking autopilot?
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
Executor32
Jedi Council Member

Post by Executor32 »

Actually, it does:

Never tried it myself, though; I've heard the docking computer is pretty unreliable, plus I can practically land on a dime manually anyway, so I didn't find it worth the expense or the equipment slot.
どうして?お前が夜に自身お触れるから。
The Infidel
Jedi Master

Post by The Infidel »

I did play the old Elite on my ZX Spectrum 48Kb and Elite II on my Amiga. I'm a bit afraid to start it, because I can get so hooked on these things. Maybe after my computer upgrade, that always seem to postpone to the next generation of CPU's.
Where am I at in the post apocalypse draft? When do I start getting picks? Because I want this guy. This guy right here. I will regret not being able to claim the quote, "The first I noticed while burning weed, so I burned it, aiming at its head first. It wriggled for about 10 seconds. Too long... I then fetched an old machete [+LITERALLY ANYTHING]"
- Raw Shark on my slug hunting
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

It is supposed to be outstanding with and Oculus Rift.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Executor32 wrote:bilateralrope: Yeah, the daily maintenance is a tad annoying, but as they say, it's usually for only 5-10 minutes (1 AM my time). I just get up, take a piss, grab a drink and/or make a snack, and by the time I get back it's usually over.
Maybe for people with enough free time that they can afford to be up at 1AM.

Me, my main playing time is evenings. a 7pm downtime I can work with, but an 8pm one hits in the middle of my gaming time. So it is a big problem.
Executor32
Jedi Council Member

Post by Executor32 »

Like I said, I just see it as an opportunity for a pee break. I'd probably still see it that way even if I were in your shoes, unless your free time is so limited that 5-10 minutes is a significant fraction of it.
どうして?お前が夜に自身お触れるから。
Arthur_Tuxedo
Sith Acolyte

Post by Arthur_Tuxedo »

The Infidel wrote:I did play the old Elite on my ZX Spectrum 48Kb and Elite II on my Amiga. I'm a bit afraid to start it, because I can get so hooked on these things. Maybe after my computer upgrade, that always seem to postpone to the next generation of CPU's.
Indeed. I picked up X3 with the expansions on a Steam sale a couple of years ago when I was between jobs (not a euphemism, I actually had a job lined up that hadn't started yet). Played 13 hours straight the first day, woke up and played 14 hours the next day. Woke up the 3rd day, uninstalled it and vowed never to touch that particular brand of heroin again. A proper modern Elite game might be even worse.
"I'm so fast that last night I turned off the light switch in my hotel room and was in bed before the room was dark." - Muhammad Ali

"Dating is not supposed to be easy. It's supposed to be a heart-pounding, stomach-wrenching, gut-churning exercise in pitting your fear of rejection and public humiliation against your desire to find a mate. Enjoy." - Darth Wong
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

So from what I'm seeing this is basically like a super-massive sandbox type game?
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Executor32 wrote:Like I said, I just see it as an opportunity for a pee break. I'd probably still see it that way even if I were in your shoes, unless your free time is so limited that 5-10 minutes is a significant fraction of it.
It's not just the 5-10 minutes of the break. It's the time before downtime where I have to stop what I'm doing and get somewhere safe. Then the time taken to get back to where I was.
It's the time spent before downtime where it's not worth starting anything, because it will be interrupted. For example, If I expect a fight to take longer than I have before downtime, there isn't any point starting it because if I'm winning, the other player just won't log in straight away.

It's that I can't do anything that requires more than 90 minutes of uninterrupted playing time, because that's the longest chunk I'll have.

Now maybe Elite:Dangerous is designed so those aren't a problem. But you haven't convinced me of that.
Executor32
Jedi Council Member

Post by Executor32 »

How much time do you have before downtime? Most dogfights are over within minutes. You also won't need more than 90 minutes of uninterrupted playtime; while most missions give you 2-8 hours to complete them, and mission timers tick down even while the game isn't running, I haven't had any yet that have taken much more than an hour. The longest missions are arguably the assassination missions, which might take up that entire chunk if you were to try and do one in one sitting. The mission timers for them are like a day and a half, though, so that's not necessary.

Elheru Aran: A super-massive sandbox space combat/trading game, yes. Kind of like a mix of Freespace, EVE, and Euro Truck Simulator, with the whole galaxy as your playgound.
どうして?お前が夜に自身お触れるから。
SpottedKitty
Jedi Master

Post by SpottedKitty »

Elheru Aran wrote:So from what I'm seeing this is basically like a super-massive sandbox type game?
Oh, no, it's a lot bigger than that... :twisted:

Another old Spectrum player here as well. I usually did quite nicely, got to Dangerous level without too much bother, and Elite fairly often. Wish I had the computer horsepower to play this new version, it looks like this is what all of us had going on between our ears while playing the original. :wink:
“Despite rumor, Death isn't cruel — merely terribly, terribly good at his job.”
Terry Pratchett, Sourcery
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

This is the kind of game that it feels like you should build a dedicated flight rig and fake cockpit for. Play with the lights dimmed to match what you see of your cockpit and just slide into a new world. It doesn't seem exactly fun, but, not having yet played it myself, it seems to have that minute eating quality that all great games have.