Should I try out Star Trek Online?

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

User avatar
EnterpriseSovereign
Jedi Council Member
Posts: 2136
Joined: 2006-05-12 12:19pm
Location: High orbit

Re: Should I try out Star Trek Online?

Post by EnterpriseSovereign » 2017-12-24 05:37pm

mr friendly guy wrote:
2017-12-23 09:20pm
Why is the tzenthi dreadnought op. And is that the one purchased will lobi points. Might give it to my second toon since Rommies don't have great carriers otherwise
While not a dedicated carrier, the Scimitar is still pretty awesome :mrgreen:

The Dreadnought, with 5 forward weapon & tac console slots + universal console slot + DHC mounts = insane damage! :lol: Stick an engineering BOFF in the universal slot and you have something truly fearsome.

Its only drawbacks are that it has 2 rear guns instead of 3 and it has a slightly weaker hull, neither of which are any real handicap.

It's actually obtained from neither lockbox nor lobi, but the "infinity Duty Officer Promotion" instead.
It's no use debating a moron; they drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Just because you have the attention span of a fruit fly doesn't mean the rest of us are so encumbered.

"As you know science is not fact"- HuskerJay
"The Delta Fyler [sic] isn't even a shuttle craft" -HuskerJay69
"The Dominion War wasn't really all that bad"- Admiral Mercury

User avatar
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand
Posts: 10864
Joined: 2004-05-20 02:23pm
Location: Zone:classified

Re: Should I try out Star Trek Online?

Post by Lord Revan » 2017-12-25 06:17am

EnterpriseSovereign wrote:
2017-12-24 05:37pm
mr friendly guy wrote:
2017-12-23 09:20pm
Why is the tzenthi dreadnought op. And is that the one purchased will lobi points. Might give it to my second toon since Rommies don't have great carriers otherwise
While not a dedicated carrier, the Scimitar is still pretty awesome :mrgreen:

The Dreadnought, with 5 forward weapon & tac console slots + universal console slot + DHC mounts = insane damage! :lol: Stick an engineering BOFF in the universal slot and you have something truly fearsome.

Its only drawbacks are that it has 2 rear guns instead of 3 and it has a slightly weaker hull, neither of which are any real handicap.

It's actually obtained from neither lockbox nor lobi, but the "infinity Duty Officer Promotion" instead.
Isn't the real drawback of the Tzenkethi Dreadnaught that it turns rather poorly (not GCS poorly but still quite slow) so you need to invest in +turn consoles or be alpha strike only, basically it's a dreadnaught with the turn rate and speed you'd expect from one but with weapon configuration of a raider?
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n

User avatar
EnterpriseSovereign
Jedi Council Member
Posts: 2136
Joined: 2006-05-12 12:19pm
Location: High orbit

Re: Should I try out Star Trek Online?

Post by EnterpriseSovereign » 2017-12-25 08:54pm

Lord Revan wrote:
2017-12-25 06:17am
EnterpriseSovereign wrote:
2017-12-24 05:37pm
mr friendly guy wrote:
2017-12-23 09:20pm
Why is the tzenthi dreadnought op. And is that the one purchased will lobi points. Might give it to my second toon since Rommies don't have great carriers otherwise
While not a dedicated carrier, the Scimitar is still pretty awesome :mrgreen:

The Dreadnought, with 5 forward weapon & tac console slots + universal console slot + DHC mounts = insane damage! :lol: Stick an engineering BOFF in the universal slot and you have something truly fearsome.

Its only drawbacks are that it has 2 rear guns instead of 3 and it has a slightly weaker hull, neither of which are any real handicap.

It's actually obtained from neither lockbox nor lobi, but the "infinity Duty Officer Promotion" instead.
Isn't the real drawback of the Tzenkethi Dreadnaught that it turns rather poorly (not GCS poorly but still quite slow) so you need to invest in +turn consoles or be alpha strike only, basically it's a dreadnaught with the turn rate and speed you'd expect from one but with weapon configuration of a raider?
Possibly, though the Protomatter Barrage Launcher the ship comes with does offer a +17.8% boost to turn rate, among other things.
It's no use debating a moron; they drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Just because you have the attention span of a fruit fly doesn't mean the rest of us are so encumbered.

"As you know science is not fact"- HuskerJay
"The Delta Fyler [sic] isn't even a shuttle craft" -HuskerJay69
"The Dominion War wasn't really all that bad"- Admiral Mercury

User avatar
FaxModem1
Sith Acolyte
Posts: 6497
Joined: 2002-10-30 06:40pm
Location: In a dark reflection of a better world

Re: Should I try out Star Trek Online?

Post by FaxModem1 » 2018-01-08 07:22pm

So, I got a spare Miradorn Raider from a privateer lockbox. Can you have two of the same type of ship in your fleet, or would it be better to sell it on the Exchange? Or would anyone here be interested in it and has a good trade for it?
Image

User avatar
EnterpriseSovereign
Jedi Council Member
Posts: 2136
Joined: 2006-05-12 12:19pm
Location: High orbit

Re: Should I try out Star Trek Online?

Post by EnterpriseSovereign » 2018-01-08 11:26pm

FaxModem1 wrote:
2018-01-08 07:22pm
So, I got a spare Miradorn Raider from a privateer lockbox. Can you have two of the same type of ship in your fleet, or would it be better to sell it on the Exchange? Or would anyone here be interested in it and has a good trade for it?
One of the benefits of having several loadout slots is so that you wouldn't need to have more than one of a particular ship at any one time, for a single character.

It really depends if you're planning to use it with more than one toon or not- the thing with lockbox ships is that there's no way of unlocking them for others on an account like with event ships. If there was a means of doing it, in a similar means to fleet ship modules I might be more amenable to buying such a vessel through either the exchange or lobi.

If you're not planning to use with more than one toon, then sell away- it's worth checking on the exchange what the going rate is.
It's no use debating a moron; they drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Just because you have the attention span of a fruit fly doesn't mean the rest of us are so encumbered.

"As you know science is not fact"- HuskerJay
"The Delta Fyler [sic] isn't even a shuttle craft" -HuskerJay69
"The Dominion War wasn't really all that bad"- Admiral Mercury

User avatar
FaxModem1
Sith Acolyte
Posts: 6497
Joined: 2002-10-30 06:40pm
Location: In a dark reflection of a better world

Re: Should I try out Star Trek Online?

Post by FaxModem1 » 2018-01-09 12:35am

EnterpriseSovereign wrote:
2018-01-08 11:26pm
FaxModem1 wrote:
2018-01-08 07:22pm
So, I got a spare Miradorn Raider from a privateer lockbox. Can you have two of the same type of ship in your fleet, or would it be better to sell it on the Exchange? Or would anyone here be interested in it and has a good trade for it?
One of the benefits of having several loadout slots is so that you wouldn't need to have more than one of a particular ship at any one time, for a single character.

It really depends if you're planning to use it with more than one toon or not- the thing with lockbox ships is that there's no way of unlocking them for others on an account like with event ships. If there was a means of doing it, in a similar means to fleet ship modules I might be more amenable to buying such a vessel through either the exchange or lobi.

If you're not planning to use with more than one toon, then sell away- it's worth checking on the exchange what the going rate is.
265 million, last I checked, but how often do people actually throw that much EC for a ship?
Image

User avatar
EnterpriseSovereign
Jedi Council Member
Posts: 2136
Joined: 2006-05-12 12:19pm
Location: High orbit

Re: Should I try out Star Trek Online?

Post by EnterpriseSovereign » 2018-01-09 12:38am

FaxModem1 wrote:
2018-01-09 12:35am
EnterpriseSovereign wrote:
2018-01-08 11:26pm
FaxModem1 wrote:
2018-01-08 07:22pm
So, I got a spare Miradorn Raider from a privateer lockbox. Can you have two of the same type of ship in your fleet, or would it be better to sell it on the Exchange? Or would anyone here be interested in it and has a good trade for it?
One of the benefits of having several loadout slots is so that you wouldn't need to have more than one of a particular ship at any one time, for a single character.

It really depends if you're planning to use it with more than one toon or not- the thing with lockbox ships is that there's no way of unlocking them for others on an account like with event ships. If there was a means of doing it, in a similar means to fleet ship modules I might be more amenable to buying such a vessel through either the exchange or lobi.

If you're not planning to use with more than one toon, then sell away- it's worth checking on the exchange what the going rate is.
265 million, last I checked, but how often do people actually throw that much EC for a ship?
Difficult to tell, but the Tzenkethi Dresdnought I mentioned earlier goes for north of 1.2 billion. Which is about a billion more EC than what I actually have :lol:

How many lockboxes did you open to get two Miradorn Raiders?
It's no use debating a moron; they drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Just because you have the attention span of a fruit fly doesn't mean the rest of us are so encumbered.

"As you know science is not fact"- HuskerJay
"The Delta Fyler [sic] isn't even a shuttle craft" -HuskerJay69
"The Dominion War wasn't really all that bad"- Admiral Mercury

User avatar
FaxModem1
Sith Acolyte
Posts: 6497
Joined: 2002-10-30 06:40pm
Location: In a dark reflection of a better world

Re: Should I try out Star Trek Online?

Post by FaxModem1 » 2018-01-09 02:37am

EnterpriseSovereign wrote:
2018-01-09 12:38am
Difficult to tell, but the Tzenkethi Dresdnought I mentioned earlier goes for north of 1.2 billion. Which is about a billion more EC than what I actually have :lol:

How many lockboxes did you open to get two Miradorn Raiders?
Quite a few, as I was trying to make a Pirate build. Darndest thing is that I got the twin ships one right after the other.
Image

User avatar
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand
Posts: 14563
Joined: 2008-10-15 01:37am

Re: Should I try out Star Trek Online?

Post by The Romulan Republic » 2018-01-10 06:27pm

Does anyone else wish that there was a Star Trek vs. Star Wars version of this game?

I do.
"Our progress in degeneracy appears to me to be pretty rapid. As a nation, we began by declaring that "all men are created equal." We now practically read it "all men are created equal, except negroes" When the Know-Nothings get control, it will read "all men are created equal, except negroes, and foreigners, and Catholics." When it comes to this I should prefer emigrating to some country where they make no pretence of loving liberty -- to Russia, for instance, where despotism can be taken pure, and without the base alloy of hypocracy." - Lincoln.

User avatar
FaxModem1
Sith Acolyte
Posts: 6497
Joined: 2002-10-30 06:40pm
Location: In a dark reflection of a better world

Re: Should I try out Star Trek Online?

Post by FaxModem1 » 2018-01-10 08:24pm

The Romulan Republic wrote:
2018-01-10 06:27pm
Does anyone else wish that there was a Star Trek vs. Star Wars version of this game?

I do.
I'm not sure I'd want to face regular versions of the Iconian War's biggest battles on a regular basis.
Image

User avatar
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand
Posts: 14563
Joined: 2008-10-15 01:37am

Re: Should I try out Star Trek Online?

Post by The Romulan Republic » 2018-01-10 08:33pm

FaxModem1 wrote:
2018-01-10 08:24pm
The Romulan Republic wrote:
2018-01-10 06:27pm
Does anyone else wish that there was a Star Trek vs. Star Wars version of this game?

I do.
I'm not sure I'd want to face regular versions of the Iconian War's biggest battles on a regular basis.
Heh.

Well, there are a lot of stories you could tell short of full-blown galaxy-wide war.
"Our progress in degeneracy appears to me to be pretty rapid. As a nation, we began by declaring that "all men are created equal." We now practically read it "all men are created equal, except negroes" When the Know-Nothings get control, it will read "all men are created equal, except negroes, and foreigners, and Catholics." When it comes to this I should prefer emigrating to some country where they make no pretence of loving liberty -- to Russia, for instance, where despotism can be taken pure, and without the base alloy of hypocracy." - Lincoln.

User avatar
EnterpriseSovereign
Jedi Council Member
Posts: 2136
Joined: 2006-05-12 12:19pm
Location: High orbit

Re: Should I try out Star Trek Online?

Post by EnterpriseSovereign » 2018-01-11 02:01pm

The Romulan Republic wrote:
2018-01-10 08:33pm
FaxModem1 wrote:
2018-01-10 08:24pm
The Romulan Republic wrote:
2018-01-10 06:27pm
Does anyone else wish that there was a Star Trek vs. Star Wars version of this game?

I do.
I'm not sure I'd want to face regular versions of the Iconian War's biggest battles on a regular basis.
Heh.

Well, there are a lot of stories you could tell short of full-blown galaxy-wide war.
You'd have to either reinvent (preferable) or omit ground combat entirely then. :lol:

Thanks to Transwarp and Slipstream, Trek powers are at least in the same ballpark when it comes to propulsion but there still remains the virtually-insurmountable numerical lead SW has, nevermind the firepower.

As I said once before, I do think an ISD would be an interesting enemy to fight in a Red Alert despite being just half the length of a Borg Cube yet possessing more firepower and durability. And make an SSD the enemy in a 20-player fleet action, just for shits and giggles! :lol:
It's no use debating a moron; they drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Just because you have the attention span of a fruit fly doesn't mean the rest of us are so encumbered.

"As you know science is not fact"- HuskerJay
"The Delta Fyler [sic] isn't even a shuttle craft" -HuskerJay69
"The Dominion War wasn't really all that bad"- Admiral Mercury

houser2112
Padawan Learner
Posts: 339
Joined: 2006-04-07 07:21am
Location: Charlotte, NC

Re: Should I try out Star Trek Online?

Post by houser2112 » 2018-01-11 02:12pm

EnterpriseSovereign wrote:
2018-01-11 02:01pm
You'd have to either reinvent (preferable) or omit ground combat entirely then. :lol:
I'd be ok with scrapping ground combat entirely, even scrapping ground interaction entirely. I recently took a break from STO to play Rebel Galaxy, and it was nice that to play a game where stations were merely a series of menus, even if it was a blatant console port. A couple clicks to sell off the commodities I hoovered up, check the job board, upgrade weapons and armor, and I was on my way to that sweet delicious pew-pew.

User avatar
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand
Posts: 14563
Joined: 2008-10-15 01:37am

Re: Should I try out Star Trek Online?

Post by The Romulan Republic » 2018-01-11 03:15pm

EnterpriseSovereign wrote:
2018-01-11 02:01pm
The Romulan Republic wrote:
2018-01-10 08:33pm
FaxModem1 wrote:
2018-01-10 08:24pm


I'm not sure I'd want to face regular versions of the Iconian War's biggest battles on a regular basis.
Heh.

Well, there are a lot of stories you could tell short of full-blown galaxy-wide war.
You'd have to either reinvent (preferable) or omit ground combat entirely then. :lol:

Thanks to Transwarp and Slipstream, Trek powers are at least in the same ballpark when it comes to propulsion but there still remains the virtually-insurmountable numerical lead SW has, nevermind the firepower.

As I said once before, I do think an ISD would be an interesting enemy to fight in a Red Alert despite being just half the length of a Borg Cube yet possessing more firepower and durability. And make an SSD the enemy in a 20-player fleet action, just for shits and giggles! :lol:
You could probably bend the firepower stats. quite a bit, both for gameplay purposes and, canon-wise, because Star Trek Online is set well after any televised/film Trek canon, during a period of intense conflict which might well see military advances as relatively large as those which occurred from, say, the start of the 20th. Century to the end of WWII.

But I like the Federation as an underdog who has to succeed, if it succeeds, more through diplomacy, espionage, and science than direct slug-fests. That's part of what makes it such a good foil for the Empire.

Still... I admit a 20-play fleet action against an SSD sounds like a heck of a lot of fun.

I know there are user-made scenarios (I've played one or two), but I can't recall weather the game allows players to design custom ships. If so, it would be possible to create a crossover scenario, though I expect the game would have rules against it for copyright reasons, maybe.
"Our progress in degeneracy appears to me to be pretty rapid. As a nation, we began by declaring that "all men are created equal." We now practically read it "all men are created equal, except negroes" When the Know-Nothings get control, it will read "all men are created equal, except negroes, and foreigners, and Catholics." When it comes to this I should prefer emigrating to some country where they make no pretence of loving liberty -- to Russia, for instance, where despotism can be taken pure, and without the base alloy of hypocracy." - Lincoln.

houser2112
Padawan Learner
Posts: 339
Joined: 2006-04-07 07:21am
Location: Charlotte, NC

Re: Should I try out Star Trek Online?

Post by houser2112 » 2018-01-11 04:00pm

The Romulan Republic wrote:
2018-01-11 03:15pm
I know there are user-made scenarios (I've played one or two),
Yes.
but I can't recall weather the game allows players to design custom ships.
No. One thing of note, though, is that there is currently a build on Tribble that allows you to do a targeted "reroll" of mods on certain items. Doing so costs a certain amount of dilithium and salvage (a new thing you can get from vendor trash instead of selling for EC), depending on how many mods you reroll. So, it's becoming easier to get just the right gear you want. This is probably as close as you'll ever get to custom ships.

User avatar
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand
Posts: 14563
Joined: 2008-10-15 01:37am

Re: Should I try out Star Trek Online?

Post by The Romulan Republic » 2018-01-11 04:11pm

Pity. Otherwise, I'd have been very tempted to try my hand at making a Star Destroyer or Two. :D
"Our progress in degeneracy appears to me to be pretty rapid. As a nation, we began by declaring that "all men are created equal." We now practically read it "all men are created equal, except negroes" When the Know-Nothings get control, it will read "all men are created equal, except negroes, and foreigners, and Catholics." When it comes to this I should prefer emigrating to some country where they make no pretence of loving liberty -- to Russia, for instance, where despotism can be taken pure, and without the base alloy of hypocracy." - Lincoln.

User avatar
EnterpriseSovereign
Jedi Council Member
Posts: 2136
Joined: 2006-05-12 12:19pm
Location: High orbit

Re: Should I try out Star Trek Online?

Post by EnterpriseSovereign » 2018-01-11 05:58pm

I am really looking forward to the RE feature, if done right- I have quite a few weapons that rolled CrtDx3 (or CrtDx2 + Pen) upon crafting but got Acc or CrtH upon reaching UR rank. If I have a means of re-rolling that modifier (and ONLY that modifier) to something better, I'm all game. Might be different with Dmg since that was improved. I spent two ultimate tech upgrades on disruptors and got bad 4th mods, now I'm glad I held on to them!
It's no use debating a moron; they drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Just because you have the attention span of a fruit fly doesn't mean the rest of us are so encumbered.

"As you know science is not fact"- HuskerJay
"The Delta Fyler [sic] isn't even a shuttle craft" -HuskerJay69
"The Dominion War wasn't really all that bad"- Admiral Mercury

User avatar
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand
Posts: 10864
Joined: 2004-05-20 02:23pm
Location: Zone:classified

Re: Should I try out Star Trek Online?

Post by Lord Revan » 2018-01-12 04:56am

houser2112 wrote:
2018-01-11 04:00pm
The Romulan Republic wrote:
2018-01-11 03:15pm
I know there are user-made scenarios (I've played one or two),
Yes.
The thing is that you can't use items from other intellectual properties in the Foundry as it's forbidden in the terms of service, so STvSW is forbidden by the foundry ToS and would be even if you could make ISDs or something that looks close enough to pretend to be an ISD.

Well technically you can't use items (including names) from other intellectual properties in the base either but that isn't policed as much as the Foundry version as most prominent foundry authors take the ToS very seriously.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n

User avatar
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand
Posts: 14563
Joined: 2008-10-15 01:37am

Re: Should I try out Star Trek Online?

Post by The Romulan Republic » 2018-01-13 01:32pm

Yeah, figured there'd be something like that. Shame.
"Our progress in degeneracy appears to me to be pretty rapid. As a nation, we began by declaring that "all men are created equal." We now practically read it "all men are created equal, except negroes" When the Know-Nothings get control, it will read "all men are created equal, except negroes, and foreigners, and Catholics." When it comes to this I should prefer emigrating to some country where they make no pretence of loving liberty -- to Russia, for instance, where despotism can be taken pure, and without the base alloy of hypocracy." - Lincoln.

User avatar
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand
Posts: 10864
Joined: 2004-05-20 02:23pm
Location: Zone:classified

Re: Should I try out Star Trek Online?

Post by Lord Revan » 2018-01-13 01:43pm

The Romulan Republic wrote:
2018-01-13 01:32pm
Yeah, figured there'd be something like that. Shame.
There's even rules from CBS on how certain ships can be used (which is why the Tier 6 connie was an event ship, CBS said either "rare special event ship" or "no T6 connie", well not in those exact words but essentially so). So it's shouldn't be surpricing that Cryptic and/or CBS would avoid anything that could get them sued (and using other companies IP falls under that category).
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n

User avatar
EnterpriseSovereign
Jedi Council Member
Posts: 2136
Joined: 2006-05-12 12:19pm
Location: High orbit

Re: Should I try out Star Trek Online?

Post by EnterpriseSovereign » 2018-01-14 08:42pm

Disruptor DHC projectiles look kinda like Turbolaser bolts, that's just about the only SW-esque thing there is.

Anyone else doing the Sompek Arena event? Like a lot of the players I've done the "stop at level 5" thing, what's unusual is that the resulting tokens aren't character-bound, merely account. Either I'm playing when no-one else is around or not many are doing the event, because very few "Suicide Squads" are forming.
It's no use debating a moron; they drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Just because you have the attention span of a fruit fly doesn't mean the rest of us are so encumbered.

"As you know science is not fact"- HuskerJay
"The Delta Fyler [sic] isn't even a shuttle craft" -HuskerJay69
"The Dominion War wasn't really all that bad"- Admiral Mercury

User avatar
EnterpriseSovereign
Jedi Council Member
Posts: 2136
Joined: 2006-05-12 12:19pm
Location: High orbit

Re: Should I try out Star Trek Online?

Post by EnterpriseSovereign » 2018-01-23 02:37pm

Thanks to one of the anniversary giveaways being a T5 Defiant and its counterparts, I was able to swipe the cloaking device which, when paired with the supplemental systems console gives a welcome boost to turn rate to the Fleet T6 Galaxy Dreadnought. Pairing the Saucer Separation with Molecular Cohesion nullifier gives another boost to turn rate. It's just a shame that I had to trade four console slots for those gains; still worth it if the result is the Starfleet equivalent of a hot rod! :mrgreen:
It's no use debating a moron; they drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Just because you have the attention span of a fruit fly doesn't mean the rest of us are so encumbered.

"As you know science is not fact"- HuskerJay
"The Delta Fyler [sic] isn't even a shuttle craft" -HuskerJay69
"The Dominion War wasn't really all that bad"- Admiral Mercury

User avatar
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Posts: 10017
Joined: 2004-12-12 10:55pm
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Re: Should I try out Star Trek Online?

Post by mr friendly guy » 2018-01-26 04:51am

These days I only occasionally play to upgrade my items to epic, save up EC and dilithium, but I thought to give the latest episode a try.

And the new enemy is ... the Hur'q.

Aren't their tech kind of outdated by 24th century standards, yet alone post dominion war or STO or post Iconian war standard. Given that they have been hiding for hundreds of years with ships buried in worlds.

The only thing they have is numbers and my rommie sci ship made short work of them.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to.
Australia, Canada, China, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.

User avatar
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand
Posts: 10864
Joined: 2004-05-20 02:23pm
Location: Zone:classified

Re: Should I try out Star Trek Online?

Post by Lord Revan » 2018-01-26 03:58pm

mr friendly guy wrote:
2018-01-26 04:51am
These days I only occasionally play to upgrade my items to epic, save up EC and dilithium, but I thought to give the latest episode a try.

And the new enemy is ... the Hur'q.

Aren't their tech kind of outdated by 24th century standards, yet alone post dominion war or STO or post Iconian war standard. Given that they have been hiding for hundreds of years with ships buried in worlds.

The only thing they have is numbers and my rommie sci ship made short work of them.
We know next to nothing about the hur'q, for all we know they had technology compareble to early 25th century Starfleet/KDF/RRN. What we know about the Hur'q in canon for sure is that they invaded Qo'nos and were later driven out, but why they were driven we don't know from a reliable source.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n

User avatar
EnterpriseSovereign
Jedi Council Member
Posts: 2136
Joined: 2006-05-12 12:19pm
Location: High orbit

Re: Should I try out Star Trek Online?

Post by EnterpriseSovereign » 2018-01-28 03:02pm

Well the re-engineering feature works well enough so far, the real limiting factor is availability of salvage, which is obtained easily enough through the vendor trash that PvEs award, each one on average only gives enough junk for re-doing a single modifier.

What's most significant is that it also lets you re-roll the final one that's obtained upon getting any weapon to epic level- I won't be touching that one until last, if at all in case I end up ruining what's otherwise an awesome item.

I imagine this has caused the bottom to fall out of the market for high-end guns, especially the rare lockbox-only ones. Makes me all the more glad I held on to the few that I got from the last lot of boxes I opened but had bad modifiers. I also did it with a couple of disruptor DBBs that got a bad 4th when upgraded.

Once again the Omega minigame hates me, and once again I created a thread on the STO forums, not that I expect it'll ever be fixed. It's the reason I won't touch the colony daily that depends on the game to earn its corresponding stuff.
It's no use debating a moron; they drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Just because you have the attention span of a fruit fly doesn't mean the rest of us are so encumbered.

"As you know science is not fact"- HuskerJay
"The Delta Fyler [sic] isn't even a shuttle craft" -HuskerJay69
"The Dominion War wasn't really all that bad"- Admiral Mercury

Post Reply