Should I try out Star Trek Online?

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Re: Should I try out Star Trek Online?

Post by Lord Revan »

Lord Revan wrote:Hmmm the only foundry mission I had published seems to have disapeared, I wonder if I just misspelled the name in the search or maybe there's some problems with some maps so missions with those maps don't show up.
ok I checked and it's definetly not a spelling issue but it could be an other kind of problem though.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

Is there any way to adjust graphic size. For some reason my power bar is ridiculously small, ever since I changed to direct X 11.

Long story short, it won't let my mouse work with direct x 11, so I used safe mode, switch back to direct x9. Unfortunately the power bar, and relevant tables are tiny relative to the screen (it doesn't scale). It doesn't seem to change no matter what combo I use. If I go back to direct x 11, I can only use "windows maximised" and not full screen.

If they can't fix this, I think I might take a break from STO for a while.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

mr friendly guy wrote:Is there any way to adjust graphic size. For some reason my power bar is ridiculously small, ever since I changed to direct X 11.

Long story short, it won't let my mouse work with direct x 11, so I used safe mode, switch back to direct x9. Unfortunately the power bar, and relevant tables are tiny relative to the screen (it doesn't scale). It doesn't seem to change no matter what combo I use. If I go back to direct x 11, I can only use "windows maximised" and not full screen.

have you check things like UI scaling?
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
mr friendly guy
The Doctor

Lord Revan wrote:
mr friendly guy wrote:Is there any way to adjust graphic size. For some reason my power bar is ridiculously small, ever since I changed to direct X 11.

have you check things like UI scaling?
The problem seems to be that the default setting changes when I switched over. I adjusted the UI and the power bar looks decent size now. However when I engage enemy ships, they look ridiculously their life bar and names are ridiculously small. I am not sure how to adjust this.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Post by FaxModem1 »

Tony Todd returns as Kurn/Rodek:

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star- ... l/10340843

I hope they handle this right, as I always found it rather unsatisfying the way he was handled on DS9.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

My current character is a Fed engineer, focused on being a tank. Which means take as much +threat stuff as I can so everyone shoots at me, just enough tank to survive, then as much DPS as I can dish out.

I'm planning on making two other characters:
- Tac captain DPS focused. Which means -threat, just enough tank to survive on the occasions where I do get shot at, and lots of DPS.
- Sci captian focused on space wizadary. Probably with -threat
One will be klingon, the other romulan. Are there any mechanical reasons that make one set of parings better than the other ?

As an aside, I find threat to be a very boring mechanic. Players who want to be shot fit the 'don't shoot me' consoles, players who do want to be shot fit the 'shoot me' consoles. Usually the plasma generating science consoles, which are identical in all stats except how they mind control enemies. Then the NPCs spend the fight shooting at whoever the players want them to shoot.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

FaxModem1 wrote:Tony Todd returns as Kurn/Rodek:

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star- ... l/10340843

I hope they handle this right, as I always found it rather unsatisfying the way he was handled on DS9.
He embodied the Death Seeker trope perfectly, it will be interesting to find out what he did after getting his memory wiped. Perhaps he begins to slowly regain memories of his life as Kurn- as Worf is still ambassador it's a pretty safe bet he's going to encounter him again.

The Tzenkethi Are Coming

It looks like these guys are going to be similar to the mini-mecha used by the Voth, presumably there's a new ground arena coming our way.

Thanks to the exchange surprisingly holding at around 300-310:1 I've converted enough dil to get nearly all of the cross-faction T6 packs, save for the cruiser and science vessel ones. I'm still levelling up my masteries of ships I bought weeks ago, thanks to having ten active characters :lol:
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

bilateralrope wrote:My current character is a Fed engineer, focused on being a tank. Which means take as much +threat stuff as I can so everyone shoots at me, just enough tank to survive, then as much DPS as I can dish out.

I'm planning on making two other characters:
- Tac captain DPS focused. Which means -threat, just enough tank to survive on the occasions where I do get shot at, and lots of DPS.
- Sci captian focused on space wizadary. Probably with -threat
One will be klingon, the other romulan. Are there any mechanical reasons that make one set of parings better than the other ?

As an aside, I find threat to be a very boring mechanic. Players who want to be shot fit the 'don't shoot me' consoles, players who do want to be shot fit the 'shoot me' consoles. Usually the plasma generating science consoles, which are identical in all stats except how they mind control enemies. Then the NPCs spend the fight shooting at whoever the players want them to shoot.
It all depends on what traits you want your captain and away team to have, as these will vary depending what race you go with.

I've found that the best combination for damage-dealing is a KDF-aligned (plasmonic leech) Romulan, because that gives access to the Romulan Operative cap trait and the Superior RO on all your BOFFs (Crit chance and severity).

The plasma explosion consoles are popular on sci-heavy ships, because the proc chance is pretty low per console it's not uncommon to equip more than one.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

EnterpriseSovereign wrote:I've found that the best combination for damage-dealing is a KDF-aligned (plasmonic leech) Romulan, because that gives access to the Romulan Operative cap trait and the Superior RO on all your BOFFs (Crit chance and severity).
The plasmonic leech is cheap on the exchange. Only 3.9 mil each. It was 4.5 mil for one when I bought one for my fed character.

So that doesn't seem a good reason to go KDF with a Romulan character.

I picked up the Temporal Special Agent pack when it was on discount. My understanding is that if the Romulan character sides with the Federation, I get the low-level ships for admiralty purposes.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

bilateralrope wrote:
EnterpriseSovereign wrote:I've found that the best combination for damage-dealing is a KDF-aligned (plasmonic leech) Romulan, because that gives access to the Romulan Operative cap trait and the Superior RO on all your BOFFs (Crit chance and severity).
The plasmonic leech is cheap on the exchange. Only 3.9 mil each. It was 4.5 mil for one when I bought one for my fed character.

So that doesn't seem a good reason to go KDF with a Romulan character.

I picked up the Temporal Special Agent pack when it was on discount. My understanding is that if the Romulan character sides with the Federation, I get the low-level ships for admiralty purposes.
You get the low-level ships from tiers 1-4, not really enough reason to pick Fed IMO.

The KDF-aligned toons have many more opportunities to earn dilithium via prisoners and contraband. It's also the reason Assault Squad Officers are incredibly useful- just be prepared to bulk-buy Medical Supplies and Provisions :wink: That, and a one-time payment of 1,000 Zen grants access to the leech for all KDF toons. It all depends how many KDF-aligned toons you have.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

a quick question, I got an e-mail about a code of a free T6 int Sovvie, 2 questions 1) is that a valid offer or just a scam 2)and if so, is it valid for the PC version of just for the consoles?
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Lord Revan wrote:a quick question, I got an e-mail about a code of a free T6 int Sovvie, 2 questions 1) is that a valid offer or just a scam 2)and if so, is it valid for the PC version of just for the consoles?
It's legitimate, and it's for PC, not consoles.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

I might take advantage of it then as I got the PC version.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Any idea why some people are receiving the email and others aren't ?

Because r/sto has no idea. Which seems like a very poor PR move.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor

How does one receive email for STO. Do we have to install Arc or something? Because going to http://www.arcgames.com/ and checking my messages, I don't have any, nor is there any in the in game mail.

RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Nobody really knows the criteria. One time an Internet site did ask them and got a response, they were basically told PWE couldn't say to protect privacy or whatever.

As far as getting e-mail from Arc: https://forums.sufficientvelocity.com/posts/7739923/ A post I made on another forum with instructions
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

RogueIce wrote:Nobody really knows the criteria. One time an Internet site did ask them and got a response, they were basically told PWE couldn't say to protect privacy or whatever.
That makes me think that either they don't know and are just bullshitting a reason for not admitting it, or they are using some criteria that people would be very unhappy about if they found out. For example, if the criteria includes non-Cryptic things they did or didn't find on your hard drive.
As far as getting e-mail from Arc: https://forums.sufficientvelocity.com/posts/7739923/ A post I made on another forum with instructions
Why is the newsletter hidden in the languages section ?

Also, I can rule out the Arc notifications, as people who don't use Arc got the email.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor

I am registered in arcgames.com (that's where I purchase my zen for STO and Neverwinter), but it seems I haven't actually installed arc since I play via steam. Oh well.

RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

bilateralrope wrote:For example, if the criteria includes non-Cryptic things they did or didn't find on your hard drive.
I...seriously doubt that is the case.

Granted, when the question was asked, it was in response to a promo where it was specifically about people's (financial) support for the game, so that answer makes sense given when it was asked. To my knowledge, nobody's gotten an answer from them during the other promos.

It's probably the equivalent of drawing names out of a hat anyway.

bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

RogueIce wrote:
bilateralrope wrote:For example, if the criteria includes non-Cryptic things they did or didn't find on your hard drive.
I...seriously doubt that is the case.
As do I. There are enough paranoid people around that I'd expect that at least one of them has been monitoring which files STO accesses. Still it remains possible and it's also possible that mentioning this possibility might get enough people repeating it that Cryptic replies.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

If you ask me it's probably a random lottery based on some criteria (basically the "drawn names out of a hat" but with some criteria for whose names get put into the "hat" so to speak), but Cryptic or whoever is responsible doesn't want to admit that who get that is essentially random.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Then I'm going to keep guessing really paranoid reasons.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor

I am going to give the new episodes a try, but I really don't feel like grinding for Lukari reputation.

Also they took away my terran marks. It just disappeared down to zero.

RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

mr friendly guy wrote:Also they took away my terran marks. It just disappeared down to zero.
Check them in the Reputation window, should still be there. Probably a bug because of the new Lukari Rep. I was able to slot my daily Terran Rep with no problem, despite the Inventory screen showing 0 marks. The Rep Window should still be accurate, though.

In other news, I bought a Keyring Bundle because fuck it, they're on sale. Used them to open the 20 Infinity Boxes my Temporal Recruit got thanks to doing missions during Bonus XP. Ended up with a Krenim R&D Doff. For a couple minutes I debated opening it on my TR, but decided against it since my Main is the one with all those Level 20 R&D schools and I just started up the Kits and Modules School tonight. So which Krenim R&D Specialist did I get?

A purple School Specialist for the brand-spanking-new R&D school on the very first day it's available, that's what

Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

So they added the Tsenkethi, I see. Huh.

I haven't regularly played STO in a long while. I just got supremely burned out on the game back in 2015. I followed up into partway through the Temporal Cold War and stopped, then briefly returned to try out the TOS content which I found... eh, I suppose.

Still, maybe I'll go back to it sometime. I have a lot of alts to choose from. :) (Including some actually accurate-looking versions of Korra and Asami from Legend of Korra. Seriously, I was shocked how close I managed to get them to look.)
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED