Should I try out Star Trek Online?

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Re: Should I try out Star Trek Online?

Post by mr friendly guy »

So with the phoenix prize pack again I have gotten up to 800 phoenix tech upgrades now. Also managed to get hold of the Jem'hadar light cruiser with wormhole generator console. Needs a bit of work, so I might add more polaron boosting consoles.

Finally got an epic phoenix prize pack and I turned it in for another T6 Breen ship, the Plesh Tral heavy raider. I figured its starship trait might be useful and its console for 26.3% boost of polarons allow my ship to have >300% polaron boost.

After I get enough tokens for a free T6 ship, I think I am going to go for the Dominion temporal ship to round out my collection.
Lord Revan wrote: 2019-07-25 06:37pm
I found that disco ground set is nice for taking out the Borg, though that could just my enjoyment of punching them in the face after all the times they've adapted to my energy weapons.
Zefram cochrane's gun works well against Borg, since its physical damage rather than energy damage.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

mr friendly guy wrote: 2019-08-11 12:53am
Lord Revan wrote: 2019-07-25 06:37pm
I found that disco ground set is nice for taking out the Borg, though that could just my enjoyment of punching them in the face after all the times they've adapted to my energy weapons.
Zefram cochrane's gun works well against Borg, since its physical damage rather than energy damage.
True, also the sniper rifle and the tommy gun. The mind meld device is also physical since it's more of a martial arts booster then a "true" weapon and the Disco set is a very good for melee builds and with mind meld device makes melee semi viable thanks to the built in gap closer.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Post by EnterpriseSovereign »

Glad of the Phoenix event, needed something to drive the dil:zen prices back down since they climbed to over 450:1 at one point, it'll probably drop further when the sale ends. I just wish I'd held on to Zen for longer, with every jump in price I'd sold a batch more. But then if it was easy to predict which way the market would move we'd all be rich! :lol:

When it goes down a bit more I'll be able to afford the newest ship pack, but before I even get to mastering those I'll need to get to grips with the T6 Risian ship. I also stopped kicking off eggs or monkey vouchers on the Sunday before the event ends because I knew that was the latest I could start something and get it to 'senior' level. Managed to claim a couple thousand disco marks on each toon, so in around three weeks they'll all be at T5.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Forgot to say that the Arena of Sompek event came in extremely handy since (as intended) it gave me the last 50 tokens I needed to claim the free T6 ship voucher. At the moment I don't have any T6 ships to spend this on because the only ones available in the store are part of the newest pack, so it's sitting in my account bank for time time being.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor

Got the free T6 ship voucher, and Cryptic won't let me buy the Dominion temporal ship. The only reason I want it is to collect the Dominion ships for a toon. Sigh. Maybe it will become available at a later date or I should try another UFP ship.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

mr friendly guy wrote: 2019-08-13 08:49am Got the free T6 ship voucher, and Cryptic won't let me buy the Dominion temporal ship. The only reason I want it is to collect the Dominion ships for a toon. Sigh. Maybe it will become available at a later date or I should try another UFP ship.
Yeah certain "new" ships would be disallowed and they said the list will be updated (I suspect they also will remove ships no longer considered "new" from the list and not just add things to it).
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Looks like I'll be buying Zen, the Phoenix event is almost over so the price will have dropped as low as it's going to get for a while.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

I bought enough Zen to buy the latest pack when it's next reduced by 20%, and when the price climbed again I sold the excess. Only a small profit but a profit nonetheless. This weekend is an upgrade weekend, so expect captains to expend the tokens gained in the recent Phoenix event- the only space gear I plan to upgrade is anything I've bought using Discovery rep. Since most of my captains are now at T5 in that area I can look into it.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

I ended up getting the Lorca console for 11 of my characters, with the discount granted by getting one of my toons to T6 in Discovery it was very affordable. From turning in the tokens I've wound up with almost 88 Phoenix tech upgrades, hopefully 8 tokens will be enough to get the console up to XV, if not necessarily epic.
EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

Well it was inevitable after they allowed Romulan toons to fly the ships of their allies, in the spirit of co-operation they're letting the other sides fly their ships too: Link. This has the potential to open up some weird & wonderful ship trait combos, certainly there will be plenty of captains itching to get their hands on the Scimitars! :mrgreen:
mr friendly guy
The Doctor

My test ship for sci builds IMO is the Fleet Romulan Laehso ship. Not sure if my main UFP toon would have to expend fleet credits to buy the fleet version, but then he has more than 1.7 million so I guess he can afford it. Because having a sci ship which can cloak would really help him.

EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

mr friendly guy wrote: 2019-08-29 08:25am My test ship for sci builds IMO is the Fleet Romulan Laehso ship. Not sure if my main UFP toon would have to expend fleet credits to buy the fleet version, but then he has more than 1.7 million so I guess he can afford it. Because having a sci ship which can cloak would really help him.
And Fleet Ship Modules (which are on sale right now)- whether you own the store version will determine whether you need one FSM or five. I might buy a few myself, though I'm a long way from mastering the ships I already have.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor

Wonder if its worth getting the Marquis raider for its console. On one hand I could swap a console out in my science builds to allow it to make another spatial anomaly. I would of course need to get two of these because my rommie toon would get one, and my main toon would get one for his science builds. I have enough to buy out outright, and when there is a discount I might acquire enough lobi crystals to get two. Decisions, decisions.

mr friendly guy
The Doctor

Well bit the bullet and got a Klingon toon. She is an orion and tactical class.

Any particular Klingon ships I should aim for. I am thinking of Miracle worker class and raiders personally. Not sure about Klingon Carriers, since I should have access to the Dominion carrier, which has two slots and an extra 2 Jemmie pets anyway.

Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

mr friendly guy wrote: 2019-09-07 04:00am Well bit the bullet and got a Klingon toon. She is an orion and tactical class.

Any particular Klingon ships I should aim for. I am thinking of Miracle worker class and raiders personally. Not sure about Klingon Carriers, since I should have access to the Dominion carrier, which has two slots and an extra 2 Jemmie pets anyway.
Unless you're massively allergic to anything involving DSC from what I've heard some the DSC era klink ships are quite good the Qugh, the Qoj and the DSC D-7 are decent from what I've heard even if the D-7 isn't quite as good as the connie.

The Blackguard isn't total crap either if you want an RP based ship, though it's not as good as more recent ones.

and the M'chala isn't total crap either but it's limited by it's weapon config.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor

And if I am allergic to anything from Discovery? Haven't made up my mind yet, but what non discovery Klingon ships are good?

Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

mr friendly guy wrote: 2019-09-07 07:35am And if I am allergic to anything from Discovery? Haven't made up my mind yet, but what non discovery Klingon ships are good?
The Blackguard is an orion ship. Also I think the classic D-7 is pretty decent if quite rare and expensive (the TOS version that is), you might look at the T6 Vor'cha as well though I can't remember if it was massively good.

There isn't that many good ships that aren't either DSC themed or non-klingon.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor

Looking at the ships, a lot of the Discovery ships (but not all) don't have the TNG/DS9 Klingon aesthetic I like. So far among the ships which could have potential for my Klingon tactical toon are

Raiders
https://sto.gamepedia.com/Mat%27Ha-class_Raptor - heavy disruptor cannons looks fun with 5 tactical slots
https://sto.gamepedia.com/M%27Chla_Pilot_Bird-of-Prey - a DSC type ship, but it sort of has the classical Klingon aesthetic, and battle cloak

Others
https://sto.gamepedia.com/Kolasi-class_Siege_Destroyer - certainly different, but the Javelin attack looks interesting. I imagine in universe its mainly against space stations, but lets see if we can make this work.

https://sto.gamepedia.com/Chargh%27poH- ... _Destroyer - 5 tactical consoles and 4 science consoles, I can make this work for a vessel that uses gravity wells and great fire power.

https://sto.gamepedia.com/Qul%27poH-cla ... nce_Vessel - for a science vessel,if I decide to go down that route.

Useful traits
https://sto.gamepedia.com/Trait:_Legacy_of_Qo%27noS - boost to damage

https://sto.gamepedia.com/Trait:_Ceaseless_Momentum - possible, boost to kinetic damage, may be useful if I use a raider with cloak and arm it with krenim chroniton torp.

https://sto.gamepedia.com/Trait:_Exitus_Acta_Probat - 15% bonus weapon damage with jam sensors

https://sto.gamepedia.com/Trait:_Highly_Specialized - improved critical hit chance

https://sto.gamepedia.com/Trait:_Emergency_Weapon_Cycle - more damage

Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

For the rest I can't say much but you think of the Kolasi like a klingon equilevant for the Galaxy-X ship, the thing to remember about the lance weapons is that they pretty much useless against most ships (since they're on slow turning ships and fire rather slowly) though IIRC they do cause decent damage provided they hit.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor

Now that all my toons has access to Romulan ships, I have gone back and given the non Rommie toons extra admiralty ships, by adding around 8 of them to the mix. So my Jemmie toon has like 70 admiralty ships, and he is predominantly used to farm dilithium and EC. My primary UFP toon already has 143 admiralty ships, and now is over 150. The other two UFP has over 80 admiralty ships each. This ensures that they will continue to get those dilithium and EC quests.

Hopefully when my Klingon toon starts admiralty section, she will get decent amount of ships as well. I believe admiralty ships she should have access to all Rommie ships up to T6, and all UFP ships up to T5, and all the Vanguard dominion ships I purchased (4 of them), plus whatever Klingon ships she gets, and some admiralty ships via my left over phoenix prizes, I should have another toon which can churn out dilithium.

EnterpriseSovereign
Sith Marauder

The Mat'Ha is a raptor, not a raider and is one of my favourite KDF ships. It's the only one that I bought the fleet version of on more than one character. And if you equip it with disruptor weaponry (as I have) the console gives a nice damage boost too.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

I think the Ouroboros (sic) raider can made to look decently like a romulan or klingon ship with the right shield visuals and that's what I'm using on my klingon tac character at the moment.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor

Lord Revan wrote: 2019-09-09 10:30pm I think the Ouroboros (sic) raider can made to look decently like a romulan or klingon ship with the right shield visuals and that's what I'm using on my klingon tac character at the moment.
That seems like an interesting idea since I have one of those. What shield visuals do you use to give it the Klingon aesthetic?

mr friendly guy
The Doctor

Is anyone a member of a Klingon fleet looking for s new Klingon member? I am only level 16 so I will be focusing on levelling up, but I can contribute EC to fleet projects. Preferably a fleet with enough levels in spire to allow me to buy vulnerability locaters. Just PM me and I will tell you my toons details.

Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

mr friendly guy wrote: 2019-09-10 12:30am
Lord Revan wrote: 2019-09-09 10:30pm I think the Ouroboros (sic) raider can made to look decently like a romulan or klingon ship with the right shield visuals and that's what I'm using on my klingon tac character at the moment.
That seems like an interesting idea since I have one of those. What shield visuals do you use to give it the Klingon aesthetic?
The Borg rep one and the terran one are the ones that look the closest to me, they're not green but otherwise have nice looking style look to them. I'd show a screenshot of my raider but the game is down at the moment.

If you're looking for PvE fleet you might ask for Omega Combat Brigade or something like that, it's our KDF side main fleet, (Omega Combat Division is our FED side main fleet and just to clarify I'm only a "grunt" member not an officer in the fleet)