The Campaign Trail (fun little online game).

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

SCRawl
Has a bad feeling about this.

Re: The Campaign Trail (fun little online game).

Post by SCRawl »

Maybe try to hand Wallace the win as Nixon.
73% of all statistics are made up, including this one.

I'm waiting as fast as I can.
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

SCRawl wrote:Maybe try to hand Wallace the win as Nixon.
That's brilliant! I'll go and do that right away.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Well I tried a Bryan vs. McKinley campaign. I think I won, but the damn thing locked up before it went past 10% results. Oh well.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

Darth Nostril wrote:
The Romulan Republic wrote:Someone posted a link to this on another forum I post on.

http://www.americanhistoryusa.com/campaign-trail/

I ran as Obama in 2012. I ran a good Left wing campaign. I got crushed. :cry:

I find the choices for the questions rather restrictive, but I guess that's inevitable.

Can't decide weather to play as a liberal Romney next for laughs or try again as Obama.
I ran as a brutally honest left wing Obama.
Told Arizona to fuck off, no fence or wall; defended AFA, it would reduce everyone's healthcare costs and pointing out that Romney was out of touch & spent more maintaining a horse than the average hard working American made in a year.

I won 308 to 230, got Florida, Pennsylvania and Virginia, lost Ohio by 0.8%.
How?

I just can't win as Obama.
Shinn Langley Soryu
Jedi Council Member

Post by Shinn Langley Soryu »

You do know that the site saves all your game results, right?

Obama/Clinton, 272-266-0-0 (victory)
Humphrey/Connally, 310-182-45 (victory)

If the game lets you play as George Wallace in the 1968 campaign, why not let you play as Gary Johnson or Jill Stein in the 2012 campaign, if only for shits and giggles?
I ship Eino Ilmari Juutilainen x Lydia V. Litvyak.

ImageImageImage
Phantasee: Don't be a dick.
Stofsk: What are you, his mother?
The Yosemite Bear: Obviously, which means that he's grounded, and that she needs to go back to sucking Mr. Coffee's cock.

"d-did... did this thread just turn into Thanas/PeZook slash fiction?" - Ilya Muromets[/size]
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

You managed to win without Ohio, Florida, or Virginia. I'm impressed.
AniThyng
Sith Devotee

Post by AniThyng »

If this game http://www.americanhistoryusa.com/campa ... game/15474 had came to pass in the real world, I wonder what would have happened...
I do know how to spell
AniThyng is merely the name I gave to what became my favourite Baldur's Gate II mage character :P
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

How do you link to a saved game?

Edits: Never mind. I think I figured it out.

Me as McKinley vs Bryan and Palmer:

http://www.americanhistoryusa.com/campa ... game/16064

I actually lost the popular vote but won by a healthy margin in the electoral college.
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

I ran a Humphrey/Connally ticket on normal and managed to get a pretty interesting result.

http://www.americanhistoryusa.com/campa ... game/16063
Results wrote:Wow! No candidate achieved a majority in the electoral college.

For the first time since 1824, the election will be thrown to the House of Representatives. Fortunately for you the Democrats have won a majority of the nation's Congressional delegations.

Unfortunately, you also have to deal with George Wallace. He will not allow the Southern states to support any candidate who advocates desegregation. As a lifelong Civil Rights advocate, this rules you out.

Your best chance, sadly, is to try to broker a deal with Nixon or with other moderate Republicans. The alternative is for you to sit and watch as Wallace and Nixon strike a bargain amongst themselves.

You are the likely winner, but who knows where this all ends?
I lost Ohio by ~16,000 votes, but even that wouldn't have given me the majority; talk about your tight races. Could you imagine if this had been the result broadcast November 5, 1968?
AniThyng
Sith Devotee

Post by AniThyng »

Maybe I'm misunderstanding but didn't Nixon have the majority by 2 votes in your results
I do know how to spell
AniThyng is merely the name I gave to what became my favourite Baldur's Gate II mage character :P
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

AniThyng wrote:Maybe I'm misunderstanding but didn't Nixon have the majority by 2 votes in your results
He had 2 more votes, but he didn't have the 268 (269?) votes needed to form a government with over 50% of the electoral college votes. Basically nobody had enough votes to form a government so you'd have to pick your poison in who's votes you're going to go after and what changes to your platform you have to make to secure them.
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Double post.
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

I wonder what would have happened if Wallace had made it historically.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Civil War Man
NERRRRRDS!!!

Post by Civil War Man »

Shinn Langley Soryu wrote:If the game lets you play as George Wallace in the 1968 campaign, why not let you play as Gary Johnson or Jill Stein in the 2012 campaign, if only for shits and giggles?
He was the last third party candidate to win any electoral votes, and had the potential to win enough of them to affect the outcome of the election. Playing as Johnson or Stein would mostly just result in the same electoral map as the actual election since they really didn't have the support to swing any of the states in any meaningful way. There really isn't anything to accomplish playing as them other than "can you build up enough support to swing a state from Obama to Romney or vice versa?" The candidates you can play as in the elections have defined victory conditions. Either win the election outright for most or win enough states to prevent an electoral vote majority for Wallace.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

You know, I really wish this game had an 1860 and/or 1864 mode. I'd love to play as Lincoln.

For that matter, I'd like to be able to reply 2000 and see if I can best Bush.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Purple wrote:I wonder what would have happened if Wallace had made it historically.
A pile of conservative fucktardness, is what would've happened. As a third-party candidate he never really had a major chance; his strategy was mainly to try and game the system, force an electoral dead-lock which would have to be resolved in the House of Representatives and hopefully garner him enough votes that way to win. Fortunately his backward attitudes towards segregation, vocal disdain of liberal policies and running mate of St. Curtis Lemay pretty much shot his chances to hell given time. He knew how to stir up the rednecks and Southern conservatives, and it's notable that he did manage to carry the Deep South in the election.

Politically he was somewhat of a strange mix-- old-style conservative Southern Democrat, pro segregation and outspoken racist, but supportive of organized labor, and isolationist. He wanted to get the US out of Vietnam and less involved in NATO and such. All told he was one of the last real Southern Democrats of the post-Civil War, pre-Civil Rights era.
SCRawl
Has a bad feeling about this.

Post by SCRawl »

I've tried this game twice now, and both times it's barfed right at the end. Seems kind of pointless to try again.
73% of all statistics are made up, including this one.

I'm waiting as fast as I can.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

It works fine for me. I think the biggest problem I've had with it was it freezing when I clicked to see the final results. I found that if I just click okay instead it'll show me the final results anyway and works fine.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Liberal ideas live.
I went full out with a defence of liberal ideas (though avoided slagging Eisenhower), pressed Nixon on debate and in general acted like I would in reality.
Humphrey/Kennedy btw.

Also, it is real easy to beat Obama. First try and ended up with a 299 to 239 majority by simply not sounding like a nutjob.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Purple
Sith Acolyte

Post by Purple »

Elheru Aran wrote:
Purple wrote:I wonder what would have happened if Wallace had made it historically.
A pile of conservative fucktardness, is what would've happened. As a third-party candidate he never really had a major chance; his strategy was mainly to try and game the system, force an electoral dead-lock which would have to be resolved in the House of Representatives and hopefully garner him enough votes that way to win. Fortunately his backward attitudes towards segregation, vocal disdain of liberal policies and running mate of St. Curtis Lemay pretty much shot his chances to hell given time. He knew how to stir up the rednecks and Southern conservatives, and it's notable that he did manage to carry the Deep South in the election.

Politically he was somewhat of a strange mix-- old-style conservative Southern Democrat, pro segregation and outspoken racist, but supportive of organized labor, and isolationist. He wanted to get the US out of Vietnam and less involved in NATO and such. All told he was one of the last real Southern Democrats of the post-Civil War, pre-Civil Rights era.
Do you think that if he had made it he could have pushed desegregation back or was that a lost battle?

Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Purple wrote: Do you think that if he had made it he could have pushed desegregation back or was that a lost battle?
While he would probably have made an effort towards that end, I doubt he would have achieved much in the long run given that the Supreme Court was set against it for the most part. He would have absolutely hindered it for a long time though and it's quite possible that race relations would be in a far messier state. Economically, he might have managed to actually improve things if organized labor didn't turn into the second coming of the Mafia or something. Apart from that, he most likely would not have been all that different from how, say, Barry Goldwater or Richard Nixon turned out.
Purple
Sith Acolyte

Post by Purple »

So basically there was no chance of restoring segregation? Thanks. That's what I needed to know.

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

I got no majority in the electoral college while playing as Humphrey with Fred Harris as my running mate.

www.americanhistoryusa.com/campaign-trail/game/16939
Lolpah
Youngling

Post by Lolpah »

I can't get the game to work. I get to the year selection but then the game won't continue despite me clicking "continue" and when I change the year the description doesn't change.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

This is embarrassing.

www.americanhistoryusa.com/campaign-trail/game/17333

I'm not sure how it happened.