Overwatch

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Re: Overwatch

Post by Grumman »

The closed beta has started. I'm not participating, but I have noticed the Play of the Game feature does a great job of summing up what I don't like about the game. You get the stirring music from the trailer as the game recognises the spectacular achievement of... holding the LMB down and waggling the crosshairs over three guys.
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

More information is out. There are three additional characters: D.Va, a South Korean mech pilot; Genji, a Japanese cyborg ninja; and Mei, a Chinese adventurer with a freeze-ray. I like Mei the best of the three - a Chinese scientist using her weather control device for good is something different without stepping outside the bounds of the setting, while a Japanese ninja and South Korean video gamer are lazy national cliches. I'd much rather have D.va be a proper military officer than a teenage girl talking about nerfs and APM.

The bad news is that Overwatch is a full priced game plus at least cosmetic DLC, despite consisting of only two variants of one game mode.
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

b.net's notification will spam the shit out of you to pre-order it, even if you're logged in and already pre-ordered. The app-launcher also has a field for it, so they're making sure anyone who has a Blizzard product can't forget about it.

I think it's a balsy idea. Stupid, but balsy. I mean, considering what they're making off Hearthstone and WoW, they can easily take that kind of risk: dropping a $60 game in a mostly non-existent genre. I figure the F2P model would serve them better, but Blizzard has consistently shown their shitty decisions can make money.... a lot of money.
Kojiro
Jedi Master

Post by Kojiro »

Sorry if this is a necro.

I got into the beta this weekend and I am loving this game. It's smooth, looks great, nothing like the lag or netcode issues of battlefield. Seems I can even play well on US servers (from Aus). The balance seems pretty good, except for two essentially similar things (turrets) but that could just be my unfamiliarity with the counter. I enjoyed most of the heroes but haven't played them all yet (3 to go).

All in all I haven't had this much fun in a game for ages.
Dragon Clan Veritech