Anyone interested in a Hearts of Iron 3 STGOD? NSFW

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

darthkommandant
Padawan Learner

Anyone interested in a Hearts of Iron 3 STGOD? NSFW

Post by darthkommandant »

NSFW due to the use of a swastika flag mod. IF the board admins want i can very easily change it. No pictures have been posted yet.
If so we will use the Deutsche Wehrmacht Immersion MOD vith the Viva L'Italia submod with some personal mods including a E-50/Leopard one panzer regiment for the Heer. (The ss will have to use the panther for now). Our first choice will be the 1936 or 1943 scenario.
Tiger II fanboy
darthkommandant
Padawan Learner

Re: Anyone interested in a Hearts of Iron 3 STGOD? NSFW

As an alternative we can also use the RPM mod with the VWP submod which gives out all historical panzer divisions one they fix the AI which is going to be in the next patch (release date over the weekend).
Tiger II fanboy
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

i'd advise against the swastika as it is actually illegal to display in parts of Europe.
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
darthkommandant
Padawan Learner

I'll definetly change it then. Tbh I wasn't honest doing the lets play with it anyway.
Tiger II fanboy
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Why is it always Germans when you do one of these?
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
darthkommandant
Padawan Learner

I just like to dictate the course of the war until it all goes to hell. It's not that I'm a nazi or anything like that I can assure you.

Edit damn auto correct.
Tiger II fanboy
HMS Sophia
Jedi Master

Post by HMS Sophia »

To be honest, it's kind of hilarious when you let the German's run as AI.
I'm writing out an AAR on the HOI forum as an expansionist Turkey (It's mid-1941, I've taken Bulgaria and just finished a hellishly long conquest of Greece). The fall of France came in April 1941, with Italy taking almost the entirety of Southern France before it was given to the Vichy. The Germans are still having terrible out-of-supply battles in Norway where they have repeatedly failed to take a port (they might soon take Oslo though). The Germans, while equipped with King Tigers and Jagdpanthers, are almost entirely infantry based.
As said, it's (a certain kind of) hilarious.
Now, the problem with playing Germany is that it's very easy to entirely dominate Europe within a couple of years. Someone over on the HOI forum started a scrap with France, Italy, Poland, Denmark, Belgium and the Netherlands at the same time in 1939, and won within 6 months of something equally crazy.
I find its better, war and story wise, to play a Major but not primary nation. So, Italy or Canada. Or play a primary totally off the wall, like Communist Britain or Axis USA.
Tl;dr Germany is dull. I'd be interested in a different nation.
"Seriously though, every time I see something like this I think 'Ooo, I'm living in the future'. Unfortunately it increasingly looks like it's going to be a cyberpunkish dystopia, where the poor eat recycled shit and the rich eat the poor." Evilsoup, on the future

StarGazer, an experiment in RPG creation
darthkommandant
Padawan Learner

Ive got an idea RPM VWP with soviet union? Keep in mins ive never played them but it should be hilariously hard for me.
Tiger II fanboy
HMS Sophia
Jedi Master

Post by HMS Sophia »

darthkommandant wrote:Ive got an idea RPM VWP with soviet union? Keep in mins ive never played them but it should be hilariously hard for me.
The Soviets, if you can manage the effects of the purge adequately (or just never use it) can have a huge world bestriding army by 1939.
Basically, I'm not the best person to ask. I find the Major nations, if not attempting to do something totally out of character (Russia attempting to win through diplomatically making everyone else join the Comintern... okay, not that out of character but out of role for HOI) I find them dull. They're too big. It's much more entertaining watching someone win as Nationalist China or the Qanxi Clique.
"Seriously though, every time I see something like this I think 'Ooo, I'm living in the future'. Unfortunately it increasingly looks like it's going to be a cyberpunkish dystopia, where the poor eat recycled shit and the rich eat the poor." Evilsoup, on the future

darthkommandant
Padawan Learner

Ok I think ill use japan but not ally with Germany and see what happens? I also want to mass produce the Yamato class.
Tiger II fanboy
HMS Sophia
Jedi Master

Post by HMS Sophia »

darthkommandant wrote:Ok I think ill use japan but not ally with Germany and see what happens? I also want to mass produce the Yamato class.
Japan is cool.
I'll leave my opinions on building lots of battleships for another day...

Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Unless the game ignores Japan's supply issues during the 1940s Mass producing the Yamato-class is unwise as that class nearly bankruptured the actual japanise economy back during its production and even once it was done it was such a fuel hog has Japan didn't have the fuel to really run them properly
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
HMS Sophia
Jedi Master

Post by HMS Sophia »

Lord Revan wrote:Unless the game ignores Japan's supply issues during the 1940s Mass producing the Yamato-class is unwise as that class nearly bankruptured the actual japanise economy back during its production and even once it was done it was such a fuel hog has Japan didn't have the fuel to really run them properly
The game is somewhat kind about that sort of thing. I'm (pretty) sure Japan has some supply issues, but if you manage to maraud your way through China (not that hard with the DLC's) then you'll be in a much more comfortable position in 39.

darthkommandant
Padawan Learner

OK i think i will use the 1943 start in DWI VI mod with Japan for the most challenge. First update coming shortly.
Tiger II fanboy
darthkommandant
Padawan Learner

image hosting 20mb

We start in Feb in 1943 by Recalling all available ships and Air wings to Japan for reorginisation.

photo hosting

We have a large Remaining Carrier Fleet but too few Convoys. 56 to be exact so i order 3 parallel runs of 19 more. (please ignore the German immersion stuff as it has no effect on the playing of the game itself).

I also cant seem to find the Yamato Class Anywhere but Im not too worried.

upload gambar

China is also a mess with too few troops to cover the line. This is not going to be easy. I launch some attacks and and am attacked at Lea in New Guinea. Thoughts anyone.? I also send my subs to raid off Pearl Harbor.
Tiger II fanboy
darthkommandant
Padawan Learner

2 more images i forgot to take but I have now are our convoy Situation.

greenshot

And more importantly out strategic plans.

image hosting no account

Green is the home islands which is to be reinforced first. I Have a total 0f 3 divisions guarding them which is totally inadequate. However despite the loss of Yamato and Musahshi I still have a pretty powerful fleet and a lot of carriers(I will have to fix the models though through save game editing since the oob is a messed up.) The blue rings are fortresses and the red ring is our naval zone of death where we shall sink American carriers (I hope :) )

Problems are a lack of resources and especially manpower so i will have to be somewhat cautious. I was pleasantly surprised by our naval techs which were 1942 at least. Allowing me to develop armor and aircraft and artillery techs. I also have 3 new carriers under construction. I also launched a limited version of the Ichi-go Offensive to knock the Chinese off balance.
Tiger II fanboy
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

So, essentially, you have recreated the historical Decisive Battle doctrine/strategy of the IJN?
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
HMS Sophia
Jedi Master

Post by HMS Sophia »

Simon_Jester wrote:So, essentially, you have recreated the historical Decisive Battle doctrine/strategy of the IJN?
Well it worked for them last time, didn't it.

*cough*

darthkommandant
Padawan Learner

I'm going to start a new thread with the same nation in the RPM mod. The poor oob just ticks me off. At least with RPM our OOB will be accurate plus it should be a bit more easy but not much since I will be going north into Siberia and into the southern resource area at the same time.
Tiger II fanboy
Irbis
Jedi Council Member

Post by Irbis »

Lord Revan wrote:Unless the game ignores Japan's supply issues during the 1940s Mass producing the Yamato-class is unwise as that class nearly bankruptured the actual japanise economy back during its production and even once it was done it was such a fuel hog has Japan didn't have the fuel to really run them properly
Ironically, the way HoI works, middle states like Brazil or Japan IIRC are much better off building super expensive units packing as much firepower into single ship/division as possible - because you run out of manpower before you run out of resources. This also helps with fuel because in game one Yamato burns less oil than two balanced battleships :lol:
HMS Sophia wrote:The Germans, while equipped with King Tigers and Jagdpanthers, are almost entirely infantry based.
Also the fault of the game - big states like Germany or USSR with massive commitments can't realistically run out of manpower, but they are constrained by the size of economy and need to cover multiple fronts. What has the most firepower per resources unit spent? Why yes, infantry. Add to that infantry doesn't burn fuel and you have clear winner. If not for artificial, stupid restrictions in command size you could have skipped virtually all other kinds of units.
darthkommandant
Padawan Learner

I have played the Japan game until the start of the China incident in the new mod. Beijing has fallen, and I have a small enclave around Shanghai. I've also begun expanding our airforce and begun to build 3 new Hiryu class carriers. Once I get the Shokaku class decision I will build more. I am also building up the IJA with more infantry Divisions, and giving existing divisions engineers and artillery.
Tiger II fanboy