Lucasarts on GOG

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Re: Lucasarts on GOG

Post by Vendetta »

You could map a lot of the moment to moment controls in the games to a modern controller, bearing in mind that DirectInput will basically detect it as having something like 16 buttons and most of the X-Wing buttons are fluff (dpad usually detects as buttons). There will still be some hands off stuff so you will still need the keyboard to hand for ordering wingmen around etc.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

They've just released Indiana Jones: Fate of Atlantis as well. I never played this, but the comic book was kinda fun, so what the heck. Someone here probably did and probably wouldn't mind another shot :)
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

Vendetta wrote:You could map a lot of the moment to moment controls in the games to a modern controller, bearing in mind that DirectInput will basically detect it as having something like 16 buttons and most of the X-Wing buttons are fluff (dpad usually detects as buttons). There will still be some hands off stuff so you will still need the keyboard to hand for ordering wingmen around etc.
Won't it feel weird to use a gamepad? A joystick feels a lot more natural to use, never mind the use of spin and such.

The real problem is most joysticks out there on the market now haven't been updated for the new Operating Systems out there. BLAH.
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
Arthur_Tuxedo
Sith Acolyte

Post by Arthur_Tuxedo »

I use a DualShock 3 for Freespace 2 and it feels just as good as my old Saitek X-45 did, so it should work just as well for the X-Wing series.
"I'm so fast that last night I turned off the light switch in my hotel room and was in bed before the room was dark." - Muhammad Ali

"Dating is not supposed to be easy. It's supposed to be a heart-pounding, stomach-wrenching, gut-churning exercise in pitting your fear of rejection and public humiliation against your desire to find a mate. Enjoy." - Darth Wong
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

Vendetta wrote:You could map a lot of the moment to moment controls in the games to a modern controller, bearing in mind that DirectInput will basically detect it as having something like 16 buttons and most of the X-Wing buttons are fluff (dpad usually detects as buttons). There will still be some hands off stuff so you will still need the keyboard to hand for ordering wingmen around etc.
Could I just map it onto my keyboard? I mean sure, it would use up all of the buttons but I can live with that.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

The main downside of keyboard versus joystick is that you lose a direct input into the game's flying system. It just doesn't 'feel' the same, for lack of a better term. With enough practice it works okay, though... but mouse + keyboard would be far better than just a keyboard by itself.
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

Elheru Aran wrote:The main downside of keyboard versus joystick is that you lose a direct input into the game's flying system. It just doesn't 'feel' the same, for lack of a better term. With enough practice it works okay, though... but mouse + keyboard would be far better than just a keyboard by itself.
I am basically asking because I have neither a joystick/joypad/controller nor the money to but both one and the game at the same time. Nor do I care for them. They always felt gimmicky to me. Using the mouse is fine by me.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Then you should be okay. It's not the same experience but it'll be fine.

At least it's not a Descent game...
Purple
Sith Acolyte

Post by Purple »

Elheru Aran wrote:Then you should be okay. It's not the same experience but it'll be fine.

I consider my self an old games fan but I have not yet heard of this Descent games.

Steel
Jedi Master

Post by Steel »

I remember using the mouse exclusively to play TIE Fighter. I hated it when X-Wing vs TIE Fighter forced me to use a joystick instead.

Using the mouse you could just put the reticule on the target with perfect precision. Once the joystick came in then that precision was gone. The later games like Alliance became more fast paced, and there seemed to be much more continuously turning dogfighting to do, so a joystick started to make sense.
Apparently nobody can see you without a signature.
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Purple wrote:
Elheru Aran wrote:Then you should be okay. It's not the same experience but it'll be fine.

I consider my self an old games fan but I have not yet heard of this Descent games.
I did not play those games, but Descent by Interplay belonged to the same era as the TIE Fighter games.
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Descent_%28video_game%29

Basically it's a zero-gravity FPS with a full six degrees of movement. Forward, back, up, down, right, left, pitch, roll, yaw, turn... Levels really had levels (as in you went vertically up and down a lot) and could honestly get pretty difficult. Good stuff.

And yeah, it's early 90s era. The graphics were a similar level of eye-bleed by our standards, but they worked. They weren't Doom cheesy at least...
AniThyng
Sith Devotee

Post by AniThyng »

Elheru Aran wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Descent_%28video_game%29

Basically it's a zero-gravity FPS with a full six degrees of movement. Forward, back, up, down, right, left, pitch, roll, yaw, turn... Levels really had levels (as in you went vertically up and down a lot) and could honestly get pretty difficult. Good stuff.

And yeah, it's early 90s era. The graphics were a similar level of eye-bleed by our standards, but they worked. They weren't Doom cheesy at least...
I thought Terminal Velocity was hot shit back then too. All those trees!
I do know how to spell
AniThyng is merely the name I gave to what became my favourite Baldur's Gate II mage character :P
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Purple wrote: I am basically asking because I have neither a joystick/joypad/controller nor the money to but both one and the game at the same time. Nor do I care for them. They always felt gimmicky to me. Using the mouse is fine by me.
You can play the '94 versions of the games with mouse/keyboard, the '98 versions require some kind of joystick, and won't even run if there isn't one plugged in. (Any purchase gives you both versions)

I'm using the Xbox 360 version of the Saitek Aviator that I bought for additional Ace Combat nerdery.

I've also connected my PC up to my TV because my inner 13 year old loves the idea of playing X-Wing on a 46" screen.
AniThyng
Sith Devotee

Post by AniThyng »

As I recall, a surefire evasion tactic in both games was to just move the joystick in a circle.

I may buy them both just to get the manuals and strategy guide. You know, for the fluff, even if i never play them seriously.

I never got a chance to read the strategy guides except for a copy at the local games shop that was priced at some ridiculous 3 figure number, far beyond the reach of a 10 year old :(
I do know how to spell
AniThyng is merely the name I gave to what became my favourite Baldur's Gate II mage character :P
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

my only real gripe with the X-wing series is how insanely accurate hostile point defense was at taking out your ordenance it actually made VSDs, ISDs and SSDs much easier to take down (cause you could use lasers on the globes it would just take longer) then some of the "lesser" ships that didn't have the easy way to take down the shields so you had to overpower them.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

I don't recall any of the ships really using point defense until X-Wing Alliance, and IIRC they needed to have the higher AI levels to do so even then ("Officer" and above or something like that).
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

RogueIce wrote:I don't recall any of the ships really using point defense until X-Wing Alliance, and IIRC they needed to have the higher AI levels to do so even then ("Officer" and above or something like that).
In X-Wing, the PDF simply shot out of nowhere. In TIE FIghter, there were actual turrets. In XWA, there were turrets and defense modules if I recall.
Kreia
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

The capships wouldn't actually shoot your torpedoes down on purpose, they'd just open up on you the moment you strayed into range, so if you launched whilst they were doing that they'd shoot the torpedoes down by accident.

If you fired from outside their gunnery range and then didn't sit behind your torpedoes like a lemon you'd hit every time.

Frigates were still the biggest pain though, a Star Destroyer is six torpedoes and a few ion cannon blasts away from being a big useless brick, corvettes have the giant deadzone in their fire arcs behind the engine block, etc.
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

I know in Alliance they would shoot them down every time if you actually got a lock. You had to dumb-fire to get them through.
And this is why you don't watch anything produced by Ronald D. Moore after he had his brain surgically removed and replaced with a bag of elephant semen.-Gramzamber, on why Caprica sucks
Steel
Jedi Master

Post by Steel »

Darksider wrote:I know in Alliance they would shoot them down every time if you actually got a lock. You had to dumb-fire to get them through.
In XvT (and I believe TIE fighter) they would shoot them down. They especially favoured using a warhead launcher to do that.

The most ridiculous thing about the capital ship missile launchers was that if you targeted a capital ship, no matter how far away or what you were actually doing at the time, they would lob a missile at you if they possibly could. This leads to you cycling through targets looking for some specific craft, momentarily targeting a capital ship and then having to take evasive action to dodge or destroy the slew of missiles it fires at you, rather than any of the other massively more important targets it could have been firing at.
Apparently nobody can see you without a signature.
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

They just released a shitload more Star Wars games.

Rogue Squadron
X-Wing Vs. TIE Fighter, includes Balance of Power
X-Wing Alliance
Rebellion
Galactic Battleground
Empire at War (ok so Steam has had this one for awhile)
Dark Forces

And more on the way, possibly?

Anyway. Rebellion. Motherfucking Rebellion. I still have the disc and all, but holy shit Rebellion is there, just in case I ever lose it.

Happy days are here again...
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Rebellion is the most underrated SW game ever.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Purple
Sith Acolyte

Post by Purple »

Thanas wrote:Rebellion is the most underrated SW game ever.
Is that the one that plays kind of like Civ/Crusaider Kings/EU style games? As in the one with a strategic map for the game and than small fleet battles? And producing armies and performing missions and stuff? In that case yes, that is the most underrated SW game and the best SW game ever. It's even more fun to play than KOTOR.

Rekkon
Padawan Learner

Post by Rekkon »

Man, I spent so much time playing Rebellion. Still have fond memories of an old shipyard sector where a bunch of systems could crank out an Imperial II Star Destroyer per month or deploying the first Interdictors to pin Rebel scum for annihilation. That and preventing their wily heroes from escaping by sticking them on a Star Galleon and keeping it constantly jumping between the two farthest points of the Empire. Hyperspace makes the best prison.