Dungeon Robber, AD&D based flash game.

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Andras
Jedi Knight

Re: Dungeon Robber, AD&D based flash game.

Post by Andras »

I've had 5th level guys straight up killed by poison traps doing 20pts of damage (rolled a 1). Had a guy fall in a pit and couldn't climb out due to platemail (crushed). Watch out for unattended treasure, it's almost always trapped.

A 10' pole gives you a +1 against some traps in addition to letting you fish for food and magic items.
Oil can be used to block pursuers if you have to retreat, in addition to throwing at monsters.

*Cristopher, a level 5 Dungeon Robber. Descended to level 1 of the dungeon and won 2614.01 GP. Defeated a Kobold. Killed by contact poison on a treasure on level 1!

*Antony, a level 6 Fighter. Descended to level 1 of the dungeon and won 609.5 GP. Defeated a Kobold. Wearing plate armor, too heavy to climb out of a trash compactor pit. on level 1!

*Janis, a level 5 Dungeon Robber. Descended to level 3 of the dungeon and won 627.5 GP and a scroll of cure light wounds. Defeated a Ear Seeker. On the return to the surface, killed by spear trap on level 2!

My current cleric is 6th level, has 22hp, and AC17.
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

Andras wrote:I've had 5th level guys straight up killed by poison traps doing 20pts of damage (rolled a 1).
What dungeon level was that on?
Watch out for unattended treasure, it's almost always trapped.
Strange. With me it's almost newer trapped. I must just be lucking out.

Also, my resume so far is one adventurer I retired as a peasant (my test character) and one adventurer that's still kicking around at almost cleric level XP. No deaths so far. No real danger apart from one time I had to run away from some sort of sea monster.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Andras
Jedi Knight

Post by Andras »

That was Level 1.

I just found Gauntlets of Ogre Power, a magic item that gives you Hi Strength.
Cleric now has has Hi Str, Con and Wis. Attack +5, d6+2 dmg.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Purple wrote:I get what you are saying but in the last 3 days of playing I have only found a fishing spot twice.
Yeah, okay, but that's luck.
Oil is good if you ever have to run away from a monster, and at low levels when you really want to reliably put something down before it can score many hits on your poorly armored self.
Honestly my strategy for the first few levels is quite different. I tend to make shallow dungeon dips (explore few rooms, retreat) until I luck out and find a breastplate.
You can still run into monsters or have a trap dump you on Level 3 of the dungeon. I've lucked out and found good armor early too, but it's a real boost to your survivability when you retire a character at 5th level and then you can just buy, for a lousy 104 gp, a sword, shield, and chain mail.
Andras wrote:*Antony, a level 6 Fighter. Descended to level 1 of the dungeon and won 609.5 GP. Defeated a Kobold. Wearing plate armor, too heavy to climb out of a trash compactor pit. on level 1!
Ooh. That's devilish. Not sure what to do about that.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Andras
Jedi Knight

Post by Andras »

I ended up at a river 3 times in just the last session. I had 32 food before I started to sell some of it.
Currently Level 7 Cleric

Andras
Jedi Knight

Post by Andras »

Ok, got Rachel up enough to retire for access to the coliseum.

New Cleric, with high Cha for two henchbeings.

You can fight monsters for XP, or to use them as henchbeings if defeated with a whip (now available at the market). You get, at best, 60-80XP per fight, plus a sword or bludgeon if appropriate.

Something else I just figured out is if you get 10 rooms into a level you automatically find stairs down.
If you have a henchmonster, and the monster kills what you are fighting you don't get XP.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

How do you retire?
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

The Romulan Republic wrote:How do you retire?
Go home at the village and hit (r)etire when you have enough exp. Be sure to bank all our money before doing so though as you can't take it with you, so to speak.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Thanks.

My heroic adventurer (named Giles after my favourite Buffy the Vampire Slayer character) retired as a yeoman. Time to try to get someone to the next level.
Andras
Jedi Knight

Post by Andras »

Ok, got a 50k retiree, and I'm not sure the rewards are worth it. I'm going to restart that character and go for 100k. You get +1 chain armor and shields in the smithy.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

After much effort, I got a character to being a tavern keeper. Now to try for the next level.

Edit: I must say, luck or lack thereof can be really crushing. A lot of my characters die young even though I try to play it safe.