Dungeon Robber, AD&D based flash game.

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Andras
Jedi Knight

Dungeon Robber, AD&D based flash game.

Post by Andras »

http://blogofholding.com/dungeonrobber/index.php

Dungeon Robber is a fun browser Flash game based on the random dungeon generator in the 1eDMG.

Characters have 2 'hi' scores that provide a bonus, one random, and one you can choose. Saves and forcing doors are based on d6 rolls, attacks on d20s. Gold is converted into XPs at the bank to level up.

Commands are given by letters and numbers. you only need to click on the character sheet and when equipping or selling items. When you find or buy new gear, go into the character sheet and select 'equip' next to the item, don't forget this. When selling things at the market or smith, 'Sell Vendors Trash' lets you sell all the misc junk with one click (bug parts, statues, tapestrys, etc).

At the top of the town page, after (l)eaving the dungeon, there will be the name of the town in a yellow banner, click that banner to see the XP rewards and bonuses for retiring a character at that level.

you have to periodically backtrack to the entrance and then leave the dungeon. this lets you go to the town to rest and heal, bank gold for XP, and buy or sell stuff.

The vast majority of the character's XP will come from converting gold at the back. Each level is a multiplier for the amount of treasure found (2nd level has twice as much, 3rd level three times etc). Treasure defended by a monster has a 10% bonus, and there are two types. The monsters get tougher as you go lower, plus it is harder to get back out if you get lost.

You build your town by retiring characters at different levels. Retire the first guy at 1000xp which opens up buying Food. The next guy as a Merchant at 3000xp for a better market items, including flaming oil (2d6 damage). Keep at least a 100gp in hand when re-entering the dungeon so you can either bribe monsters or pay for healing if you get wounded before finding more treasure. The Smith lets you get chainmail and a sword, unless you find them in the dungeon.

Don't play a thief until you retire a guy at 4000xp for Leather Armor and Rapiers (otherwise you will be a naked thief with a dagger)

Henchmen (hired at the Inn) aren't really worth it. they only stick around for one trip to the dungeon, however they can leave the dungeon and sell stuff for you if you get too much stuff. You only get one at a time unless you have high charisma.

When you are out of the dungeon, you can go (h)ome and heal. Healing at home costs money, 10gp per point. 1 day per point, or one week for all lost HPs, but time has no meaning, it just lets you heal up at one key stroke.

If you have a 10' pole or fishing pole you can (c)ast for fish for food at a river, but watch out for seamonsters. 10' poles also gain a bonus against traps.

Food lets you heal in the dungeon (1 food heals 1 hp), but you can only eat it in a dead end or at an underground river. Always cast at the river, you build up food stores and can find stuff in the river.

Always open a door unless wounded and near death. (f)orcing a door has a chance of attracting monsters, and you have a 50/50 chance of a room behind the door. Rooms are where you find most of the treasure.

When you come to an intersection, it doesn't matter which selection you make. You can't come back to that intersection again. You can (b)acktrack to the entrance for the level, but if you explore from there it's not the same again. If you get too many rooms into the level you might get lost on the way back and have to (w)ander around looking for a way out.

if you get a whip you can make the animal type monsters work for you (only one at a time) by reducing them to 0hp with the whip.

If your character dies, hit (q) instead of (r) and you go back to the last time you entered the dungeon. If you hit (r) you have to start a new character all over again.

It's pretty fun, so far I have all the levels filled by retired characters up to 20k xp.

You can (q)uit the game and it saves the town and your character so you can come back to it.
Block
Jedi Council Member

Re: Dungeon Robber, AD&D based flash game.

Post by Block »

Thing is, when I retire, it wipes the whole thing out, there's no merchant or whatever when I start a new character.
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

How do I use items?
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Block wrote:Thing is, when I retire, it wipes the whole thing out, there's no merchant or whatever when I start a new character.
Are you retiring from your character's home after you've left the dungeon?
Purple wrote:How do I use items?
The (u)se key will let you throw the flaming oil and the others just need to be equipped.
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

I noticed that the game will only let you use items on certain screens and not others. That is troubling. But otherwise it's great fun and addictive.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Andras
Jedi Knight

Post by Andras »

Block, I can't tell you why it's not saving your village, sorry. Are you retiring him at home, or when he dies in the dungeon? You have to level up at the bank, and then retire from home.

Purple, it'll let you use an item when it's appropriate (oil in combat or to discourage a pursuing monster)
One thing I don't like is how infrequently you can eat food to get HP back. Once you can afford it get some healing potions as you can use those more often (under Use)

Here's Wizard tips:
I got to 30kxp and started a magic user. You get to cast one spell before resting at 1st level. A wizard gets more spells as they level up, one each for each level. You can rest by leaving, or you can get one spell back anywhere you can eat food in the dungeon.

You get more spells by buying scrolls, these scrolls are permanent, not one use. Each spell can be cast as many times as you wish until you run out of spells for the 'day'. So you are closer to a 3e Sorc with spells chosen by scrolls.

The spells are Magic missile- auto hit for d4+1 (you start w this); sleep- defeats any monster 4th level or lower; charm- makes an intelligent monster your henchman; or haste, which lets you and your henchman attack twice. I suppose one of the more powerful combos would be hi cha, 2 henchmen and haste. Do not buy a second scroll of a spell you already have, it is a waste of money as it doesn't give you an extra casting. The Wand of Magic Missiles costs 1000gp, gives you unlimited casting of the MM spell on a 2-20 but breaks on a 1.

The problem with playing a Wiz is your attack bonus sucks, your HPs suck, your AC sucks (until you drop 3kgp on Bracers AC14), and your best non magic attack is chucking oil flasks for 2d6. It's also the only way to do more then 5hp. Keep food on hand so you can retreat and drop food for the monster to eat. Be prepared to leave the dungeon often to either get your spells back or heal up.
Purple
Sith Acolyte

Post by Purple »

Honestly I don't care much for the wizard. I am also skipping the thief and fighter and leveling up strait to a cleric. If the game is anything like the D&D I know the guy should be pure cheese. Also, my current char is just uber. I had the luck of running into a plate male armor and a rapier on a dex+ character within level 1. And am basically clearing the game out as I go along.

Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

So, it's emulating only first level wizard spells?

What about clerics? And are there higher level spells or does level progression just grant you more first level spells than you already had?
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Andras
Jedi Knight

Post by Andras »

I haven't tried a cleric yet, but it's probably the same as a Wizard.

eta- ok a beginning Cleric gets three spells but can only cast one before resting
Command makes a enemy flee
Sanctuary prevents them from attacking
Cure heals you fully

You can magically heal your self for free at home.
Last edited by Andras on 2014-09-27 04:51pm, edited 1 time in total.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

So... to be clear, there are no spells equivalent to second or higher level D&D spells? Or is it just that so far nobody posting here has unlocked them?
Andras
Jedi Knight

Post by Andras »

Well, Charm is at least 2nd level, and Haste is 3rd level. Charm Monster is higher then Charm Person, but here it works on both.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Ah.

Does the game distinguish between spells of different levels? That's more like the question I meant to ask.

[looks sheepish]
Andras
Jedi Knight

Post by Andras »

No, it doesn't. There's another Cleric spell Animate Dead (you don't need to buy the scroll as a cleric). If you go to the graveyard you get a free Skeleton henchman.

Also Cure only heals 1d8 hp, not all of them. I got a couple lucky rolls early and thought it brought you up to full.

As a Cleric, you can wear Platemail and use a Shield so your AC can be good, but you can only use a bludgeon or a +1 mace so your attacks suck.

A good thing is with the Hi Wis bonus and a 10' pole you save against some traps on a 2+.
Purple
Sith Acolyte

Post by Purple »

Andras wrote:As a Cleric, you can wear Platemail and use a Shield so your AC can be good, but you can only use a bludgeon or a +1 mace so your attacks suck.
How horrible is the mace? Does is suck as much as the club? If so I might have to just forget ever playing the cleric. Seriously. That would suck.

Andras
Jedi Knight

Post by Andras »

+1 mace is d6+1. 'Attacks Suck' is a bit of an exaggeration

The good thing about a cleric is you can heal yourself at any time, until you run out of spells (and for free at home), you can get a 4hp skeleton henchman that only costs you a spell to start the level with (vs 60-100gp at the inn), you have good HP and AC, and you do well against most traps (2+ or 3+, and high AC)

You can still use the flaming oil for 2d6 damage, but I found you can just swing away with the mace (2-7dmg) and your AC will protect you. Since you really don't need to spring for food, you can use that money for more oil.

If your Skelly is wounded, it will prompt you to cast a heal spell or feed it food, but neither of those work on a Skelly.
Purple
Sith Acolyte

Post by Purple »

Can't I just go buy another once this one dies? After all at the price they come at I can afford to.

Andras
Jedi Knight

Post by Andras »

Err, buy another what when it dies?
Purple
Sith Acolyte

Post by Purple »

Andras wrote:Err, buy another what when it dies?
Cast the spell again and get another one.

Andras
Jedi Knight

Post by Andras »

You don't buy skellys, you can only cast the in the graveyard and get one. If it dies in the dungeon you have to leave to go to the graveyard to get another. If you go to town with it it goes away (as do all henchmen) so you go straight into the dungeon with it from the graveyard. If you have a Hi Cha, which gives you the ability to have 2 henchmen, you might be able to cast it twice, but I haven't tested that yet.

The only thing they can't do is go to town and sell junk when you are still in the dungeon.
Purple
Sith Acolyte

Post by Purple »

Andras wrote:You don't buy skellys, you can only cast the in the graveyard and get one.
That's what I said. Hence the "After all at the price they come at I can afford to." comment. As in, since they are free might as well just double back and raise a new corpse to serve my bidding.
The only thing they can't do is go to town and sell junk when you are still in the dungeon.
I tend to not want others to do it for me anyway. After all, if not for the junk I'd practically live in the dam place. And that's no good.

Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

I haven't gotten that far in, so... are henchmen that helpful in a fight? What can you do with them other than tell them to carry back the loot?
Andras
Jedi Knight

Post by Andras »

The ones you get from the inn can fight, but not that well, and they night only have 1 hp. If you have lots of equipment the ability to take stuff back to town is handy.

If you play a Wizard though, charm lets you get intelligent monsters as meatshields. They also help make up for your mediocre offensive output (d4+1, or oil) Since each spell scroll counts as one of your 12 item slots, you run out of loot carrying capacity quickly. The charmed monsters can still take stuff back to town.

My Wiz had:
+1 dagger
scroll
scroll
scroll
scroll
bracers
food
healing potion
oil
wand
10'pole
That's 11 items already.

Fighters:
weapon
armor
shield
food
potion
oil
10' pole
7 items, so they get 5 slots for loot.
Purple
Sith Acolyte

Post by Purple »

Why do you bother with oil and poles? From my experience neither are very useful. The oil is too situational as it has limited ammo and you are just better off bashing stuff than using it. And fishing just does not happen for me as rivers are too few and far between. Also, food just is not that useful either as it takes up space but can only be used rarely.

My current adventurer is basically on 18K XP as a classless peasant thing and my inventory only holds my plate mail, rapier and a couple of healing potions I found. And I am doing just fine.

Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Purple wrote:Why do you bother with oil and poles? From my experience neither are very useful. The oil is too situational as it has limited ammo and you are just better off bashing stuff than using it. And fishing just does not happen for me as rivers are too few and far between. Also, food just is not that useful either as it takes up space but can only be used rarely.
Fishing can be very lucrative when it does happen. Even reselling the food can potentially net, say, 50-100 gp if you're lucky, and in my experience there's a small but noticeable chance of picking up a magic item with still higher resale value.

Food and fishing are both situational- you can play without them but it simplifies matters to have them in reserve.

Poles are good because they reduce the risk of falling into certain traps. Traps are the number one thing you have to worry about in a typical dungeon run, at least in my experience... as long as you don't get too deep and run into monsters too powerful to fight. Because some of the traps have enough alpha-strike damage to kill you outright, or to injure you enough that you have to expend healing resources.

Oil is good if you ever have to run away from a monster, and at low levels when you really want to reliably put something down before it can score many hits on your poorly armored self. Once you retire enough characters to the point where you can just buy metal armor, and thus greatly reduce a low level monster's chances of actually hitting you... it's not as big a deal.
My current adventurer is basically on 18K XP as a classless peasant thing and my inventory only holds my plate mail, rapier and a couple of healing potions I found. And I am doing just fine.
Purple
Sith Acolyte

Post by Purple »

Simon_Jester wrote:Fishing can be very lucrative when it does happen. Even reselling the food can potentially net, say, 50-100 gp if you're lucky, and in my experience there's a small but noticeable chance of picking up a magic item with still higher resale value.
I get what you are saying but in the last 3 days of playing I have only found a fishing spot twice.
Poles are good because they reduce the risk of falling into certain traps. Traps are the number one thing you have to worry about in a typical dungeon run, at least in my experience... as long as you don't get too deep and run into monsters too powerful to fight. Because some of the traps have enough alpha-strike damage to kill you outright, or to injure you enough that you have to expend healing resources.
I have yet to run into a trap strong enough to kill me at anything but lvl1. But I get your point.
Oil is good if you ever have to run away from a monster, and at low levels when you really want to reliably put something down before it can score many hits on your poorly armored self.
Honestly my strategy for the first few levels is quite different. I tend to make shallow dungeon dips (explore few rooms, retreat) until I luck out and find a breastplate.
Once you retire enough characters to the point where you can just buy metal armor, and thus greatly reduce a low level monster's chances of actually hitting you... it's not as big a deal.
Honestly I am not sure I would want to buy these things. I just sort of always luck out and find them. It's like my character keeps stumbling over these things.