Dr Who/40k crossover RP

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

HMS Sophia
Jedi Master

Dr Who/40k crossover RP

Post by HMS Sophia »

Hello all
Due to an interesting and completely unexpected conversation in testing, here we are. A free form, player driven loosely GM'ed Roleplay based in the 40k universe. With the doctor in it. And various bad things. Because what else were you expecting from this sort of crossover.

I'm looking for a group of players who are willing to drive their own story with GM intervention to bring about plot points and major progression. I'll still be heavily involved obviously. I'm not expecting you to carry it :P But i'd be looking for people who aren't wary of filling in the little details, or realising what their character is and isn't capable of. You aren't limited by dice rolls, but I don't want to see a guardsman killing three genestealers with an ice pick... at least not often. :)

And no, this isn't aiming to be an entirely serious game. Its got the doctor in it for goodness sake. Someone mentioned Baris, and I'm not afraid of that sort of silliness. It could be fun. Especially if it pokes fun at 40k's grimdarkery... (the tracks on the land raider, and so on...)

In terms of plot, I have several plans:
1) Acolyte cell investigating something in a cluster of worlds. Standard inquisitorial story, with added silly and Dr who baddies.
2) A planet riddled with war. Expecting at least some guard players and involvement. Could also add marines, the commissariat, etc etc.
3) A Imperial Navy ship. I have an idea for an opening that I've alluded too. This could include wide travel, ship to ship combat, and onboard madness...
4) Purple had an idea that I can certainly run with. See spolier: Spoiler
Basically the entire 40K universe is way too huge to play around with, even as the doctor. Unless we all make characters that happen to be in the same place we won't ever interact with one another. And that's boring. So what if instead we localize it to something that whilst still massive is actually far more contained. And that would be an Imperator class Battleship.

Imagine the following situation. You have an ancient Imperator class Battleship that last saw battle two generations ago. Since than, the starship has been slowly floating through the warp toward its next destination. And nobody on board sees anything strange or wrong with that. Well, actually they might well. But we can't know because as these ships go this one is about average. What this means is that its millions of crew members are born, live and die in wast complexes attached to the section of their ship they work for. In the case of my character this would be the main lance battery.

The sections of course are perfectly isolated from one another with the only contact being the massive power conduits that lead to the ships generators. The sections grow their own food, produce their own air and of course have command positions taken up by an on board hereditary nobility. And their only contact with the outside world are servitor telex devices that only work one way. As in, from the bridge to them. And there is no talking back to orders. Of course, since all the ships systems are super advanced and ancient they only need maintenance once in a lifetime. So once every generation a massive set of doors open and a convoy of admech from the on board factorium come to do a general overhaul before leaving. The last time this has happened was 2 generations ago as well. And it's beginning to show.

Now obviously the ship was not always this way. It does have a whole array of tunnels and corridors which once, long ago served to transport men and supplies through. But by now those would not have been in use for 1000 years and are thus decrepit and infested with pretty much everything you as the GM can think up. Our characters would be drawn from the various sections of the ship and would be collected as the doctor comes across them in hopes to help discern the mystery of the ship flying nowhere.
Anyway, if people would like to declare interest, and which plotline they'd be most interested in (and any they wouldn't play in), that would be great. I hope to see some interest.
"Seriously though, every time I see something like this I think 'Ooo, I'm living in the future'. Unfortunately it increasingly looks like it's going to be a cyberpunkish dystopia, where the poor eat recycled shit and the rich eat the poor." Evilsoup, on the future

StarGazer, an experiment in RPG creation
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Re: Dr Who/40k crossover RP

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

I'm in for sure. BARIS was possibly the best fun I had on the board.

I am Inquisitorial Acolyte Dimitri Kursk, a former Cleric recruited into the Inquistion follwing some...unpleasant on my world.

I'd be up for any of the storylines, but if it's going to be the war-torn world, I might switch to a Space Marine instead.

EDIT: If you want ideas for a war-torn world and unknown Space Marines, I have a whole backstory for one of the Lost Legions you could invoke. Then I can play as my sensible Marines that aren't total idiots.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

I'm mainly interested because of the Doctor's involvement (I have little knowledge of 40k other than what I've read on this site and I detest grimdark). If the only Doctor Who thing involved is the Doctor I'm not sure I'd be able to effectively participate in this. But I'll keep an eye on this.

Question: Which Doctor are you going to use?

Edit: The plot is reminiscent of The Beast Below from season five of the new series of Doctor Who. Sounds interesting.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Wrong forum for now. Moved.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Mr. Coffee
is an asshole.
Location: And banging your mom is half the battle... G.I. Joe!

Post by Mr. Coffee »

I'm down, depending on game times or whatnot. Depending on the level, I'll just go with an Arbites from the DH books, if that works. If we're doing a different system, same thing, just give me time to learn the new system.
Goddammit, now I'm forced to say in public that I agree with Mr. Coffee. - Mike Wong
I never would have thought I would wholeheartedly agree with Coffee... - fgalkin x2
Honestly, this board is so fucking stupid at times. - Thanas
GALE ForceCarwash: Oh, I'll wax that shit, bitch...
HMS Sophia
Jedi Master

Post by HMS Sophia »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:I am Inquisitorial Acolyte Dimitri Kursk, a former Cleric recruited into the Inquistion follwing some...unpleasant on my world.

I'd be up for any of the storylines, but if it's going to be the war-torn world, I might switch to a Space Marine instead.
The acolyte sounds fun. And of course, the bonus of acolytes is that they can plug into any plot line.
Fair point on the warzone. And the lost legion sounds entertaining.
The Romulan Republic wrote:I'm mainly interested because of the Doctor's involvement (I have little knowledge of 40k other than what I've read on this site and I detest grimdark). If the only Doctor Who thing involved is the Doctor I'm not sure I'd be able to effectively participate in this. But I'll keep an eye on this.
It wont just be the doctor. There'll be plenty of doctor who bad guys and plots and evil and so on. I'm going to attempt tp merge them into something mental. I don't expect it to be sensible.
If we end up with concurrent plotlines, I'm expecting more that one doctor. But, most likely, 9 and 10. Also possibly 4. There the ones I have the most knowledge of, to be honest.
Thanas wrote:Wrong forum for now. Moved.
Danke
Mr. Coffee wrote:I'm down, depending on game times or whatnot. Depending on the level, I'll just go with an Arbites from the DH books, if that works. If we're doing a different system, same thing, just give me time to learn the new system.
Game will be play by post. System will be diceless freeform. Write what happens, don't get overboard, write lots. Any character from DH will fit nicely, an arbite will certainly work.
"Seriously though, every time I see something like this I think 'Ooo, I'm living in the future'. Unfortunately it increasingly looks like it's going to be a cyberpunkish dystopia, where the poor eat recycled shit and the rich eat the poor." Evilsoup, on the future

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

I'd probably join this if I have enough time provided I can play something from Doctor Who. I don't know 40k well enough to feel confident about role playing with it.

Edit: 10's presence would be interesting. As I recall he loathed guns on a level comparable to Batman, so, based on what I know of 40k, he'd flip out after about five minutes. :D
HMS Sophia
Jedi Master

Post by HMS Sophia »

Depending on what it is, I'm sure we can find a way of including it. 40k characters are just generally people though. Crazy, crazy people.

As for 10... yeah... I'd like to introduce him to a guard warzone...

Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

Well I am in as well. But my knowledge of 40K is also practically limited to the video games, the lexicarium which I can't seem to access right now and my crazy imagination.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

If you're playing Marines/Guard the video games is really all you need as a basis, with the Lexicanum and/or 40K wiki as a backup. Or just ask someone who plays the game (me, probably others).

Barnest, I'll PM you some of the fluff I have for the Lost Legion, so you can see if it will be of use.

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
HMS Sophia
Jedi Master

Post by HMS Sophia »

I've played the tabletop, dark heresy, rogue trader, read as much background fluff as I can (including old stuff), read most of gaunts ghost, Eisenhorn, Ravenor and various others...

I think I'll be okay ^^

Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

Well, call me when you settle on the settings and details and I'll come up with a char. I can improvise after all. All I have to do is make sure to keep it grimdark. How hard can that be?
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
HMS Sophia
Jedi Master

Post by HMS Sophia »

I think I have the most planned in my head around the navy warship. It gives the most options for exploring and investigating. Perhaps it's a frigate that's been seconded to an acolyte group by its inquisitor. An events going to happen, which will be exciting, and lead into lots of things.
Thoughts?

Purple
Sith Acolyte

Post by Purple »

barnest2 wrote:I think I have the most planned in my head around the navy warship. It gives the most options for exploring and investigating. Perhaps it's a frigate that's been seconded to an acolyte group by its inquisitor. An events going to happen, which will be exciting, and lead into lots of things.
Thoughts?
I am up for anything.

Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Sounds good to me.

Incidentally, I find it hilarious that my less than serious post that just happened to mention both the God-Emperor and Davros has spawned this. Mwahaha!

HMS Sophia
Jedi Master

Post by HMS Sophia »

Good job on that. Okay, so:

Purple: Something
Eternal_Freedom: Dmitri Kursk, nutty ex cleric?
Coffee: Arbite?
Romulan Republic: Maybe?

I'd be glad of one more, but that's certainly enough.

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

I'm in as something from Doctor Who. If you specifically want Doctor Who villains, I'll probably play either a Dalek or a Cyberman (but one with a more complexity/personality than usual).
HMS Sophia
Jedi Master

Post by HMS Sophia »

I'd prefer you hit the good side (To a certain level of 'good'. Not pitch black evil, but grey is okay.) if only because then you can plug into the story...

J Ryan
Youngling

Post by J Ryan »

If you're ok with a noob joining I'd love to have a go. I was thinking along the lines of a Tech Adept willing to say anything, or throw anyone under a Leman Russ to get his hands on some of that juicy Timelord Tech. Though he may settle for a Cyberman body.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

barnest2 wrote:I'd prefer you hit the good side (To a certain level of 'good'. Not pitch black evil, but grey is okay.) if only because then you can plug into the story...
Well, I could do my own take on the "good Dalek" concept. Or a good Cyberman for a change of pace.
HMS Sophia
Jedi Master

Post by HMS Sophia »

I'm pondering the way you could end up alongside the PC's, and those options are a struggle. Humanity in 40k abhor the xenos (daleks) and hate AI's (cybermen). If it wasn't for that I'd say go for it, but any 40k human PC's would likely shoot the character as soon as it appeared. A shame really, as the concept seems interesting.

If you have any other concepts, I'd love to hear them. Sorry for the limiters.

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

In two recent episodes of Doctor Who (Asylum of the Daleks and Time of the Doctor) , their were people who had been infested and taken over by Dalek technology who looked human until a Dalek eye sprouted out of their forehead. They were used for ambushes.

I'm not saying that's the concept I'll ultimately go with, but it could address your concerns depending on how able 40k folks would be to detect the modifications.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Yup, Dimitri Kursk, mad ex-cleric.

Or Space Marine Master Sergeant David Marshall, depending on setting.

HMS Sophia
Jedi Master

Post by HMS Sophia »

The Romulan Republic wrote:I'm not saying that's the concept I'll ultimately go with, but it could address your concerns depending on how able 40k folks would be to detect the modifications.
I could live with a semi-cyberperson (like ianto's girlfriend) or a dalek drone (name?) turned to good. Both could pass as bionics in 40k. I can see that.

EF, I can see either fitting. We're going to be aboard a Imperial Navy Frigate, unsure of name or class yet, which the PC's will have semi or actual control of (if someone plays the captain :P)

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Okay. I'll get back to you with a final concept soon.