RPG player/character sex question time.

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Coaan
Jedi Council Member

Re: RPG player/character sex question time.

Post by Coaan »

I am male and generally, I play about 50/50 between male and female depending on the game and the story.

I mean, I tend to put a lot of hours into gaming and story based rpgs, so I'm going to be staring at the back of a character for a lot of hours if that game is an RPG. In that case? you can bet I would choose a female ass to look at. As others have mentioned as well, the models tend to be different with slightly different armour looks and takes up less interface room

The other factor, as others have also mentioned is voice acting. If it involves Jennifier Hale or similar very accomplished female voice actors? I'm going to go with the voice acting I find most appealing and frankly generic tough guy hero voice acting bores me silly.
Xcom ; Standing proud and getting horrifically murdered by Chryssalids since 1994
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

TheFeniX wrote:I doubt anyone could outperform Jennifer Hale. Her tenure in voice acting is so long, it's not even fair. John DiMaggio might be up there, but you can almost always pick out his voice.
you know what's the saddest part about Mass Effect though, Mark Meer isn't even that bad of a voice actor if you hear his other roles but for Male Shep it seems he seem to have been told to be as bland and emotionless as he could, hell even Legion (an actual robot) has more emotion in his speech then male Shep.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

That could be an experience thing. Male Shep Paragon runs weren't that bad, even if Hale kills it while Meer is just adequate. But different Bioware writers had their own ideas on what "Renegade" meant. Male Shep Renegade runs seemed to jump from "bland" to "sadistic," whereas Hale seemed to know when to just add in some sarcastic wit or generally play aloof with her dialog. Since she's VAed for quite a few RPGs where player-choice in dialog is a big thing, I assume she just kind of knows what the writer was going for and runs with it.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Are you a guy or girl?
Guy.
Do you ever play characters of the opposite sex?
No, not really. I have nothing against playing female characters, but I've always felt as if my characters on screen (or on paper) were an extension or virtual representation of myself and thus, male.
If so, what is wrong with you? :lol:
Everything is wrong with me, but that's beside the point.
What class do you tend to play most often?
Wizards, archers, or other ranged / magic-using classes. As I said above, I look at my characters as virtual representations of myself. I have more fun when I can identify with them. So being a big-ass barbarian is fun and all, but I could never see myself as one. On the other hand, I COULD see myself reading a book and learning how to cast a spell...or practicing archery and learning how to live off the land. In WoW I had a blast playing a Dwarven hunter.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!