Youtube Videos Black Screen with Sound

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Jub
Sith Marauder

Youtube Videos Black Screen with Sound

Post by Jub »

This issue just popped up. Some youtube videos, mainly ones posted in the last few hours or so, aren't displaying video for me. Older videos seem to work just fine. Is anybody else having this issue and if you are have you found a fix?
Jub
Sith Marauder

Re: Youtube Videos Black Screen with Sound

Post by Jub »

Update. I made sure it wasn't an issue with adblock and the ads play fine, but the actual content is all black still.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

The only time I see that happening is when I start playing a youtube video in fullscreen then alt-tab away from it, or some other program grabs focus. Because the flash player has opened in a separate window to my browser.
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

I get that sometimes, its been on and off for years, generally because youtube is constantly changing its background programming towards HTML5 everything, and has never had one uniform format for the site. It actually runs differently on different server farms, with only the end user display being identical. My usual solution is to switch to a different browser for youtube, never had it going black in more then one at a time, then check back in a day or so. If it doesnt work in any browser then the I'd assume you need to reinstall flash.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Sea Skimmer wrote:I get that sometimes, its been on and off for years, generally because youtube is constantly changing its background programming towards HTML5 everything, and has never had one uniform format for the site. It actually runs differently on different server farms, with only the end user display being identical. My usual solution is to switch to a different browser for youtube, never had it going black in more then one at a time, then check back in a day or so. If it doesnt work in any browser then the I'd assume you need to reinstall flash.
It ended up working after a system restart. Easy enough to fix I guess, but random enough to throw me for a loop.