Youtube adding support for 60FPS

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Youtube adding support for 60FPS

Post by bilateralrope »

Youtube creators
VidCon is the place where thousands of creators and fans come together every year to share their passion for YouTube and online video. We came to Anaheim today to offer them a sneak preview of new features and updates we’re releasing in the coming months. Here’s a look at the things we’ve been working on to help you make more your videos even more awesome, to reach global audiences and grow your businesses on YouTube.

YouTube Creator Studio: Did you know that after Rebecca Black uploaded “Friday,” she went on a school trip, not knowing for several days the video was going viral? To help you manage your videos on the go, the new YouTube Creator Studio app lets you see analytics, manage your videos and more. The app is available now on Android and launching on iOS in coming weeks and you’ll see some redesign of the Creator Studio on desktop too.

Audio Library, now with sound effects: You’ve used the hundreds of free songs in the Audio Library on millions of your videos. But until now, you’ve had to go through extreme lengths to make your own zombie screams and fighter plane sounds. To make your lives easier and videos better, from today you now have thousands of royalty-free sound effects at your disposal. We’ve also added more tracks to the Audio Library.

60 (yeah, six-zero) frames per second: Your video game footage with crazy high frame rates will soon look as awesome on YouTube as it does when you’re playing, when we launch support for 48 and even 60 frames per second in the coming months. Take a look at some preview videos on the YT Creator Channel. Make sure you’re watching in HD!

Fan Funding: Your fans aren’t just watching your videos, they’re also helping support your channel through services like KickStarter, IndieGogo, Patreon and more. We’ll be adding another option for you, where fans will be able to contribute money to support your channel at any time, for any reason. A handful of creators are testing this feature soon on desktop and Android, including Dulce Delight, Fitness Blender, The Healthcare Triage, The King of Random, Soul Pancake, Steve Spangler Science, The Young Turks, and Thug Notes. If you’re interested in trying it on your channel, sign up here.

Creator Credits: Collaboration is a key to great videos on YouTube. You’re already giving your collaborators shout outs in your video descriptions. But what if those text-based shout outs were tags that let viewers click through to their channels, or let you search for a collaborator based on their work and location? That’s our vision for Creator Credits, stay tuned for more.

Subtitles contributed from fans: More than a billion people watch YouTube each month, but not all of them speak the same language and some are deaf or hard of hearing. Automatic speech recognition and automatic translation on YouTube can help, but your fans can do an even better job. In the coming months, your fans will be able to submit translations in any language based on the subtitles or captions you’ve created, helping you reach even more viewers. You can try this out now on Barely Political, Fine Art-Tips, Got Talent Global and Unicoos.

Info Cards: Annotations are useful, but not as ridiculously good looking as say, Blue Steel. In the near future, you’ll see our new interactive information cards with a clean look, which you’ll beable to program once to work across desktop, phones and tablets.

SiriusXM & YouTube: We love supporting artists, and so do our friends at SiriusXM. That’s why we teamed up to launch “The YouTube 15,” a weekly show on SiriusXM’s Hits 1 hosted by Jenna Marbles and featuring the biggest names and rising stars in music from YouTube.

More ways to playlist: Along with playlists analytics we recently added to analytics, expect to see more ways to create playlists, so that all the time you spend building them translates into easier discovery for viewers and better results for you.

We take your feedback seriously, which is why we’re focusing on these areas that you’ve told us are most important for you. So keep your comments coming on Google+ or Twitter. We’ll be working closely with you to bring these features and more to the creator community in the future.
I'm expecting a flood of videos comparing 30 and 60 FPS. Hopefully we will see the end of people saying that the human eye can't perceive framerates that high.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Re: Youtube adding support for 60FPS

Post by General Zod »

Let me know when Youtube gets rid of mandatory commercials for every single fucking video on the site.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

General Zod wrote:Let me know when Youtube gets rid of mandatory commercials for every single fucking video on the site.
Adblock, my good man, adblock.
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Chimaera wrote:
General Zod wrote:Let me know when Youtube gets rid of mandatory commercials for every single fucking video on the site.
Adblock does nothing.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Hmm. Have you disallowed 'non-intrusive' advertising in the options? That might fix it. I use adblock plus on firefox and haven't seen a single advert since.
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Allowing people to give money to channel owners whenever they feel like it might be enough to get adds turned off on some channels.

Though it's also going to mean videos trying all sorts of things to get people to donate.
Executor32
Jedi Council Member
Location: In a Georgia courtroom, watching a spectacle unfold

Post by Executor32 »

Chimaera wrote:Hmm. Have you disallowed 'non-intrusive' advertising in the options? That might fix it. I use adblock plus on firefox and haven't seen a single advert since.
If that doesn't work, check out YouTube Center. Among many other options, it has one that disables pre-roll ads. Make sure you download the developer version, the regular version hasn't been updated since January so it's not fully compatible with the latest YouTube code and layout changes.
どうして?お前が夜に自身お触れるから。
Long ago in a distant land, I, Aku, the shape-shifting Master of Darkness, unleashed an unspeakable evil,
but a foolish samurai warrior wielding a magic sword stepped forth to oppose me. Before the final blow
was struck, I tore open a portal in time and flung him into the future, where my evil is law! Now, the fool
seeks to return to the past, and undo the future that is Aku...
-Aku, Master of Masters, Deliverer of Darkness, Shogun of Sorrow
atg
Jedi Master

Post by atg »

Something I don't really get about adblock, etc. Why do people think they have a right to 'abuse' services by using third party software to turn adverts off? Its how the site pays for the costs to run it. If you are that set against advertising then don't go to the site at all.

I personally don't see how a skip-able after 5 seconds advert before most (but not all) videos are so intrusive to be honest.
Marcus Aurelius: ...the Swedish S-tank; the exception is made mostly because the Swedes insisted really hard that it is a tank rather than a tank destroyer or assault gun
Ilya Muromets: And now I have this image of a massive, stern-looking Swede staring down a bunch of military nerds. "It's a tank." "Uh, yes Sir. Please don't hurt us."
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

atg wrote:Something I don't really get about adblock, etc. Why do people think they have a right to 'abuse' services by using third party software to turn adverts off? Its how the site pays for the costs to run it. If you are that set against advertising then don't go to the site at all.

I personally don't see how a skip-able after 5 seconds advert before most (but not all) videos are so intrusive to be honest.
One of Youtube's appeals is that it was commercial free. I stopped watching TV because of commercials and without a good alternative to Youtube, I'm stuck.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

General Zod wrote:
atg wrote:Something I don't really get about adblock, etc. Why do people think they have a right to 'abuse' services by using third party software to turn adverts off? Its how the site pays for the costs to run it. If you are that set against advertising then don't go to the site at all.

One of Youtube's appeals is that it was commercial free. I stopped watching TV because of commercials and without a good alternative to Youtube, I'm stuck.
One way or another someone has to pay for Youtube's servers and content. If advertising is a problem for you, do you have any suggestions for an alternative way to fund it ?
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

bilateralrope wrote:One way or another someone has to pay for Youtube's servers and content. If advertising is a problem for you, do you have any suggestions for an alternative way to fund it ?
There are always going to be enough people who find adds to be no problem and will watch them anyway to keep the sites running. Just as there will always be enough of us who find them too annoying and a deal breaker to keep the addblock industry running. Learn to live and let live.

The industry knows this as well which is why you aren't seeing a massive push toward anti-addblock features by giants such as google. They are already learning quite enough to afford to sacrifice some earning for good PR.
Last edited by Purple on 2014-06-29 08:13pm, edited 1 time in total.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Is there really that much money in blocking adds to call it an industry ?
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

bilateralrope wrote:Is there really that much money in blocking adds to call it an industry ?
Money no. But I think you understand what I meant to convey.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Yes, I think I do. You're saying that when someone complains about adds, anyone pointing out that their complaints look unreasonable should just shut up.
Xisiqomelir
Jedi Council Member

Post by Xisiqomelir »

General Zod wrote:
Chimaera wrote:
Adblock does nothing.
Just AB+ has wiped out all noxious advertisements for me since they started appearing. What browser are you using?
Executor32 wrote:
Chimaera wrote:Hmm. Have you disallowed 'non-intrusive' advertising in the options? That might fix it. I use adblock plus on firefox and haven't seen a single advert since.
If that doesn't work, check out YouTube Center. Among many other options, it has one that disables pre-roll ads. Make sure you download the developer version, the regular version hasn't been updated since January so it's not fully compatible with the latest YouTube code and layout changes.
I don't believe it's actually legally possible for any website to create a TOS which coerces you into viewing subject matter you find morally reprehensible.
Xisiqomelir
Jedi Council Member

Post by Xisiqomelir »

EBWOP: Meant to quote atg for my 2nd post. Fix please, GEC modship?
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Xisiqomelir wrote:I don't believe it's actually legally possible for any website to create a TOS which coerces you into viewing subject matter you find morally reprehensible.
Probably not. But it does seem perfectly legal for a website to say that if you want to view content x, you also have to view content y. Plus I doubt they would be stupid enough to enforce it via TOS instead of checking if the ad loaded and, if it didn't, denying access to the rest of the content.
Purple
Sith Acolyte

Post by Purple »

bilateralrope wrote:
Xisiqomelir wrote:I don't believe it's actually legally possible for any website to create a TOS which coerces you into viewing subject matter you find morally reprehensible.
Probably not. But it does seem perfectly legal for a website to say that if you want to view content x, you also have to view content y. Plus I doubt they would be stupid enough to enforce it via TOS instead of checking if the ad loaded and, if it didn't, denying access to the rest of the content.
Do that and you get such a massive PR disaster the likes of which have not been seen this side of Watergate.

TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

bilateralrope wrote:I'm expecting a flood of videos comparing 30 and 60 FPS. Hopefully we will see the end of people saying that the human eye can't perceive framerates that high.
Maybe they should go watch a Soap Opera for 5 minutes or watch The Hobbit. The information is out there and has been out there for years. This really doesn't change much except uploaded gameplay footage isn't going to hurt as much to watch, unless it's console footage. It's one of my big beefs about watching Starcraft 2 replays on Youtube: it's like you're not even watching the same game.
bilateralrope wrote:One way or another someone has to pay for Youtube's servers and content. If advertising is a problem for you, do you have any suggestions for an alternative way to fund it ?
Maybe use adds that aren't as obnoxious as the ones they currently use. Oh and also aren't fucking 10 times louder than everything else like they used to do on television before fucking Congress had to step in. Oh yea, and maybe have it so the adds don't glitch out and keep video from loading on my phone. You know, just basic shit so people viewing your site don't die of dehydration spitting at the screen.
Darmalus
Jedi Master

Post by Darmalus »

My only thoughts on 60 vs 30 fps is that 60fps seems to lose the "dream-like" quality I associate with 30fps movies. The Hobbit felt like a recorded stage show instead of a fantasy, which was a lot less satisfying and harder to get into.

On ads, my only real complaint (and why I avoid them) is that they often jarringly interrupt the video and are inappropriately loud. Being forced to suddenly rip my headphones off or slam the mute button does not a happy viewer make. Still, some companies do it right. I recently sent a ... opposite of a nasty-gram (happy-gram?) to a company to applaud their use of appropriate and smoothly integrated product placement in a YouTube video I watched over the usual video ad. Probably amounts to nothing in the end but it only cost me about a minute of effort.
The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Vortex Empire »

The only reason people associate 30 fps with movies is because movies have been using 30 fps for so long, it's nothing inherent to the framerate. Switch them all over to higher fps and once people get used to it they'll like it just as much, or better, since you can see fast action scenes way better.
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

The Vortex Empire wrote:The only reason people associate 30 fps with movies is because movies have been using 30 fps for so long, it's nothing inherent to the framerate. Switch them all over to higher fps and once people get used to it they'll like it just as much, or better, since you can see fast action scenes way better.
More like >=24fps, but point taken.

It's the same thing with video games. When I was getting back into PC gaming after 4-5 years on the 360 (even with a lot of that on CoD's 60FPS), it took some getting used to. I've brought it up before, but L4dead "feels" a lot different, in a good way, on the PC vs the 360. There's a fluidity to the movement that doesn't exist at lower frame-rates and motion-blur is a duct-tape solution that always annoyed me.

I brought up Soap Opera's because it's usually used to say "higher FPS makes things look amateur" which ignores that said Opera's usually lack a lot of after-effects, decent lighting, and the acting is pretty bad either way. Watching "30 Rock" live is a much better example. It feels like you're in the room with the actors. HD had the same effect for a while, but I'm so used to it now, SD gives me headaches.
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

Purple wrote:
bilateralrope wrote:
Do that and you get such a massive PR disaster the likes of which have not been seen this side of Watergate.
There are free webhosting services that do this. For instance, Tripod tells me to screw off and go away until I turn off Adblock.

Of course, once past whatever site I'm viewing's front page I can turn it right back on, but there it is. :P
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
Purple
Sith Acolyte

Post by Purple »

Rogue 9 wrote:There are free webhosting services that do this. For instance, Tripod tells me to screw off and go away until I turn off Adblock.

Of course, once past whatever site I'm viewing's front page I can turn it right back on, but there it is. :P
Yes but those are not as high profile as YT.

Nor are they the center of the worlds largest outraged 14 year old troll community. :mrgreen:

bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

All the PR problems mean is that they will try other options first*. If those fail, then it's a choice between the PR problems or shutting down the site because it's not profitable. So, if adblock use gets high enough, website operators will have three options:
- Close down the site.
- Find some other way to fund the site. If possible.
- Block adblock users. Accept the PR problems.

*Maybe get rid of unacceptable ads, maybe bribe the adblock devs to let the ads through.