War Thunder: Ground Forces

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Jub
Sith Marauder

Re: War Thunder: Ground Forces

Post by Jub »

Lictuel wrote:Small correction the amount of respawns depends on the tank type. Heavy tanks (like the kv series) only get one respawn. I would second the recommendation of going for realistic battles they are more fun, more challenging and more rewarding. For tanks I would even say go for simulator battles, the main reason for that is that the enemy indicators are gone and thus brushes and the like become useful.
Most tanks seem only to get one respawn. I should have said you get two kicks at the can in realistic mode one with your first tank and another with the respawn.
Lictuel
Redshirt

Post by Lictuel »

My bad, I did not mean to say respawn but only spawn. As in kv series tanks and the like get one spawn and no respawn.
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

So either heavy tanks suck right now or I'm doing something wrong. The KV-1 L11 is some of the least fun I've had playing this game.
The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Vortex Empire »

The KV L-11 is pretty meh, cause that gun is seriously weak. The ZiS-5 makes it much better.
Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

Post by Brother-Captain Gaius »

Heavy tanks are beast. Played carefully, my Tiger is absolutely nasty.

The KV-1 can really ruin the day of most of the tanks it will be matched against. There's a few you need to watch out for, like StuGs using HEAT and PzIV Ausf F2s, but otherwise the KV-1's front armor is very hard to crack.

What most people seem to struggle with (and I see a lot of people bitching about how "the Tiger sucks") is using their heavy tanks properly. Too many people think they're invincible just because they have a few extra mm of armor. My preference with my Tiger is to take my Pz III or IV out first, contest points and scout enemy positions, and then only bring my Tiger in once my starting medium is dead. This way, I can reserve the Tiger to commit where it's actually needed against already distracted, damaged, and depleted enemies: Half the legendary invincibility of a Tiger (and by extension any heavy tank) is all in the art of maintaining the illusion of that invincibility. You only have 1 life in a heavy, so play it smart rather than relying on your toughness to get you out of a bad situation.
Agitated asshole | (Ex)40K Nut | Metalhead
The vision never dies; life's a never-ending wheel
1337 posts as of 16:34 GMT-7 June 2nd, 2003

"'He or she' is an agenderphobic microaggression, Sharon. You are a bigot." ― Randy Marsh
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Brother-Captain Gaius wrote:Heavy tanks are beast. Played carefully, my Tiger is absolutely nasty.

The KV-1 can really ruin the day of most of the tanks it will be matched against. There's a few you need to watch out for, like StuGs using HEAT and PzIV Ausf F2s, but otherwise the KV-1's front armor is very hard to crack.

What most people seem to struggle with (and I see a lot of people bitching about how "the Tiger sucks") is using their heavy tanks properly. Too many people think they're invincible just because they have a few extra mm of armor.
It would be nice if I wasn't always running into StuGs and F2s that can one hit me at ranges where my gun struggles to range in on them. I have more fun in mediums and TDs thus far, but I wonder if that will change with the 3rd Tier of tanks.
My preference with my Tiger is to take my Pz III or IV out first, contest points and scout enemy positions, and then only bring my Tiger in once my starting medium is dead. This way, I can reserve the Tiger to commit where it's actually needed against already distracted, damaged, and depleted enemies: Half the legendary invincibility of a Tiger (and by extension any heavy tank) is all in the art of maintaining the illusion of that invincibility. You only have 1 life in a heavy, so play it smart rather than relying on your toughness to get you out of a bad situation.
I've been playing RB with an eye towards going all the way to SB. The Arcade stuff makes me wonder why I'm not plugging away at WoT instead.
Lictuel
Redshirt

Post by Lictuel »

As of yesterday ground forces and air forces can be played in the same battle. Works for realistic and simulator battle.
AniThyng
Sith Devotee

Post by AniThyng »

Until WOT fixes their crappy lag spikes since 9.x I'm with Ground Forces. I've taken the suggestion to try RB and it's certainly a better experience, but it's an erratic one. Compared to WOT I still feel very detached from my team, there is very rarely this feeling that I need to care about what the other tanks are doing and coordinate with them. Rather I just go do my own thing and it works out somehow. In WoT there was always in every match a certain dynamic where you keep an eye on the tanks with you and if they say, rush out and take a shot, you do the same since it gives the enemy 2 targets to worry about, or if one tank goes left, you naturally go right to pincer etc. I still can't feel that in WT at all.

WT:GF is very satisfying though when i'm rampaging through the flanks in a PzIII M or a PzIV F2 and one shotting T-34's left and right.

Not so much when a T-34 knocks out my driver and gunner in the first shot after he sees me and my gun is still rocking from stopping to fire and then I die.

Or when a bomb just drops on me as I trundle out of the spawn and die. :D
I do know how to spell
AniThyng is merely the name I gave to what became my favourite Baldur's Gate II mage character :P
AniThyng
Sith Devotee

Post by AniThyng »

Does anybody find it somewhat annoying though that the gunsight view seems to be lower than the actual gun, such that when you are cresting a ridge hull down, in the 3rd person view it's possible to take a shot and hit but the gunsight just shows the crest of the hill and you can't see jack shit. I've done this consistently many times so i'm sure it's not some random terrain glitch.

It's also not very clear to me if the gunner actually does his own ranging and elevation adjustment when firing in 3rd person view - what is the use of the crew skills if i'm ranging and elevating manually anyway?!
I do know how to spell
AniThyng is merely the name I gave to what became my favourite Baldur's Gate II mage character :P
Lictuel
Redshirt

Post by Lictuel »

AniThyng wrote:Does anybody find it somewhat annoying though that the gunsight view seems to be lower than the actual gun, such that when you are cresting a ridge hull down, in the 3rd person view it's possible to take a shot and hit but the gunsight just shows the crest of the hill and you can't see jack shit. I've done this consistently many times so i'm sure it's not some random terrain glitch.

It's also not very clear to me if the gunner actually does his own ranging and elevation adjustment when firing in 3rd person view - what is the use of the crew skills if i'm ranging and elevating manually anyway?!
I had also had that feeling regarding external and internal view. The fact that sometimes you can fire through some rocks and the like is not really helping either. As many on the forums have said, the tank part probably came out of closed beta a bit early, few maps and some glitches and bugs that have not been fixed yet. I still find it fun to play (more so with friends).

Regarding crew skills, there is little information what some skills really do. It seems the consensus is that field repair and vitality on all crew members are useful and reload speed for the loader. I would not put points into others skills.