Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare trailer

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare trailer

Post by FaxModem1 »

Youtube

I like the fact that we're finally seeing a Frank Underwood administration. :wink:

Honestly, I'm not sure, are we supposed to be disagreeing with the villain here, or not?
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Re: Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare trailer

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Damnit I was going to make the House of Cards joke :D

I'll probably wind up buying this at some point because it looks like they're dropping the whole "this could totally happen in the next few years" crap and just going with "its the future, its shiny."

Plus Kevin Spacey in video game form. What more must I say?
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Metahive
Sith Devotee

Post by Metahive »

I would say there's no way but up after the abysmal Ghosts. Just take the minimal steps towards innovation undertaken in BO2 and build on them.
People at birth are naturally good. Their natures are similar, but their habits make them different from each other.
-Sanzi Jing (Three Character Classic)

Saddam’s crime was so bad we literally spent decades looking for our dropped monocles before we could harumph up the gumption to address it
-User Indigo Jump on Pharyngula

O God, please don't let me die today, tomorrow would be so much better!
-Traditional Spathi morning prayer
Steel
Jedi Master

Post by Steel »

The crazy thing was that BO2 had really neat new features and actually made some innovative steps, but it was so ham handedly executed and so sloppily made. Treyarch seem to be able to have ideas, but are just crap at actually gluing things together. I haven't played Ghosts, but it does look like it actually had some interesting features and any innovation at all in an IW game. I felt it was unfortunate that they were actually trying something new, but because people had finally had enough of being burned on MW2 and MW3 stale shitfests that the one that innovated was the one that takes the fall and sells badly. Presumably there were many suits that had their strategy of "lowest investment, pump out identical sequels as fast as possible" confirmed in their minds rather than the opposite of stop strangling the goose that laid the golden egg.
Apparently nobody can see you without a signature.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

I do like that in the aesthetics they've blatantly dropped the "twenty minutes into the future" premise, while still making the equipment and technology look like it's (mostly) things we might conceivably build in the foreseeable future.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Steel
Jedi Master

Post by Steel »

Simon_Jester wrote:I do like that in the aesthetics they've blatantly dropped the "twenty minutes into the future" premise, while still making the equipment and technology look like it's (mostly) things we might conceivably build in the foreseeable future. from Elysium and avatar.
Fixed.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Actually, I was looking too much at the soldiers' kit, which... to me it really does look like a plausible 2050-era adaptation of modern infantry equipment into a semi-powered personal body armor. The wonky VTOL aircraft maybe not so much, I admit.
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

I would like to see more of this world from someone who doesn't make Call of Duty. The setting looked cool and the monologue was engaging and fun to listen to.
Steel
Jedi Master

Post by Steel »

Simon_Jester wrote:Actually, I was looking too much at the soldiers' kit, which... to me it really does look like a plausible 2050-era adaptation of modern infantry equipment into a semi-powered personal body armor. The wonky VTOL aircraft maybe not so much, I admit.
The gear the soldiers are wearing is actually a far better fit to the power armour* from Elysium than the helicopters were to Avatar.

From back to front. Practically identical.

*that offers near zero protection.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

I'll be honest, I didn't see that movie.

And my impression is that the soldiers in the trailer were wearing something at least comparable to modern armor in its coverage

The stuff I'm seeing in the Elysium pictures is clearly not armor, it's a powered exoskeleton. Someone might mount armor on it, but there isn't any right now.
Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

Steel wrote:
The gear the soldiers are wearing is actually a far better fit to the power armour* from Elysium than the helicopters were to Avatar.

From back to front. Practically identical.

*that offers near zero protection.
All things being equal, my mind keeps thinking that thing is more intended to be the frame of something than the thing itself. It was given more as an act of desperation than an anything. That doesn't mean a frame can't give benefits, just not the kind of protection a full blown power armour suit with actual plates on the frame would give. It's why I never had a problem with the context of Elysium's tech.