Blu Ray - Player vs Read/Write?

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Kitsune
Sith Devotee

Blu Ray - Player vs Read/Write?

Post by Kitsune »

Planning to get a Blu Ray for my computer - Is it worth it to get a Read/Write there days?
"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."
Thomas Paine

"For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten."
Ecclesiastes 9:5 (KJV)
Arthur_Tuxedo
Sith Acolyte

Re: Blu Ray - Player vs Read/Write?

Post by Arthur_Tuxedo »

Depends on what you're planning to do, of course, but I purchased a BD-RW drive last time I upgraded my computer, thinking that I would make copies of hi-def movies or use it for file storage. In 4 years, I have yet to burn a single BD-R for either of those purposes. With HDD and flash storage being so cheap these days, I wouldn't personally bother with the writing capability.
"I'm so fast that last night I turned off the light switch in my hotel room and was in bed before the room was dark." - Muhammad Ali

"Dating is not supposed to be easy. It's supposed to be a heart-pounding, stomach-wrenching, gut-churning exercise in pitting your fear of rejection and public humiliation against your desire to find a mate. Enjoy." - Darth Wong
Kitsune
Sith Devotee

Post by Kitsune »

Arthur_Tuxedo wrote:Depends on what you're planning to do, of course, but I purchased a BD-RW drive last time I upgraded my computer, thinking that I would make copies of hi-def movies or use it for file storage. In 4 years, I have yet to burn a single BD-R for either of those purposes. With HDD and flash storage being so cheap these days, I wouldn't personally bother with the writing capability.
Kind of my thoughts. . . .Use a 3 TB internal storage drive and a second 3 TB external backup drive (Plus some other smaller drives that are used to pass files to my laptop and used for my TV server computer), not sure I would ever use the Blu-Ray to make disks.
"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."
Thomas Paine

"For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten."
Arthur_Tuxedo
Sith Acolyte

Post by Arthur_Tuxedo »

When I bought the BD-RW drive, I assumed I would indefinitely continue my then-habit of renting discs from Netflix and copying them (scofflaw that I was), but that I would transition to the Blu-Ray format. Between Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu Plus, and other streaming services, the idea that anyone would need to copy Blu-Ray discs these days seems downright quaint.
"I'm so fast that last night I turned off the light switch in my hotel room and was in bed before the room was dark." - Muhammad Ali

"Dating is not supposed to be easy. It's supposed to be a heart-pounding, stomach-wrenching, gut-churning exercise in pitting your fear of rejection and public humiliation against your desire to find a mate. Enjoy." - Darth Wong
JLTucker
BANNED

Post by JLTucker »

Arthur_Tuxedo wrote:When I bought the BD-RW drive, I assumed I would indefinitely continue my then-habit of renting discs from Netflix and copying them (scofflaw that I was), but that I would transition to the Blu-Ray format. Between Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu Plus, and other streaming services, the idea that anyone would need to copy Blu-Ray discs these days seems downright quaint.
Audio and videophiles would because those streams, while adequate for most, aren't tolerable.
Executor32
Jedi Council Member
Location: In a Georgia courtroom, watching a spectacle unfold

Post by Executor32 »

JLTucker wrote:Audio and videophiles would because those streams, while adequate for most, aren't tolerable.
This. Even for non-audio/videophiles the difference is noticeable, especially during dark scenes. Personal anecdote: I bought The Avengers on Blu-Ray but had never gotten around to watching it. It sat on my shelf for a few months, until I saw that it was on Netflix Instant. I started watching it there, but in less than five minutes I had busted out the Blu-Ray to watch instead because I knew it had to look better.

As far as the drive goes, the difference in price between a BD-RW and a BD-ROM/DVD±RW is only $20-$40, so it's just a matter of whether you think having the burning capability just in case is worth it.
どうして?お前が夜に自身お触れるから。
Long ago in a distant land, I, Aku, the shape-shifting Master of Darkness, unleashed an unspeakable evil,
but a foolish samurai warrior wielding a magic sword stepped forth to oppose me. Before the final blow
was struck, I tore open a portal in time and flung him into the future, where my evil is law! Now, the fool
seeks to return to the past, and undo the future that is Aku...
-Aku, Master of Masters, Deliverer of Darkness, Shogun of Sorrow
Kitsune
Sith Devotee

Post by Kitsune »

I have netflix but I often work in places where my mobile broadband is not great.
As such, be almost impossible to stream movies combined with the fact that it would quickly eat up my monthly total if I did.
As such, I put DVD quality movies on an external hard drive. I buy the movies though.

One thought I have is that XP took up a CD, Win 7 and 8 use a DVD, will Win 9 require a Blu Ray?
Thomas Paine

Executor32
Jedi Council Member
Location: In a Georgia courtroom, watching a spectacle unfold

Post by Executor32 »

Unlikely, since neither 7 nor 8 fill even a single-layer DVD, let alone a dual-layer one.
どうして?お前が夜に自身お触れるから。
Long ago in a distant land, I, Aku, the shape-shifting Master of Darkness, unleashed an unspeakable evil,
but a foolish samurai warrior wielding a magic sword stepped forth to oppose me. Before the final blow
was struck, I tore open a portal in time and flung him into the future, where my evil is law! Now, the fool
seeks to return to the past, and undo the future that is Aku...
-Aku, Master of Masters, Deliverer of Darkness, Shogun of Sorrow
Wing Commander MAD
Jedi Knight

Post by Wing Commander MAD »

Something else to consider is that IIRC BD have a longer overall life if properly stored and should offer better data density/cost. Good for archival purposes. It isn't magnetic tape, but aside from professional data backup who uses tape.

For those who don't know, the lifetime of the storage medium and data density/cost are significant considerations for archival and backup operations. In order from least to most desirable: flash, traditional magnetic platter drives, disks*, magnetic tape. More exotic methods of data storage will fall into various points along that range, but those are the most common.

Note *: This covers everything from floppies, to hard disks, to modern CDs, DVDs, etc.
Kitsune
Sith Devotee

Post by Kitsune »

Wanted to add that I went ahead and purchased a Blu-Ray player combined with a read/write DVD-Rom.
Found a refurbished one on eBay for $44.00 with a 60 day warranty.
Thomas Paine