IV50 Codec?

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Kitsune
Sith Devotee

IV50 Codec?

Post by Kitsune »

I was discussing with a friend and he has some old avi files that use the IV50 Codec.
Looked and it looks like neither CCCP or VLC support that codec
Curious, why is that if anybody knows?
I believe it is / was a microsoft codec.
"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."
Thomas Paine

"For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten."
Ecclesiastes 9:5 (KJV)
Executor32
Jedi Council Member
Location: In a Georgia courtroom, watching a spectacle unfold

Re: IV50 Codec?

Post by Executor32 »

IV50 is version 5 of Intel's Indeo video codec, which hasn't been relevant in ages (which is why CCCP and VLC don't support it) and isn't likely to work on anything newer than Windows XP. If your friend has an XP machine lying around and doesn't mind the unpatched security vulnerabilities, he can get the freeware version of the codec here.
どうして?お前が夜に自身お触れるから。
Long ago in a distant land, I, Aku, the shape-shifting Master of Darkness, unleashed an unspeakable evil,
but a foolish samurai warrior wielding a magic sword stepped forth to oppose me. Before the final blow
was struck, I tore open a portal in time and flung him into the future, where my evil is law! Now, the fool
seeks to return to the past, and undo the future that is Aku...
-Aku, Master of Masters, Deliverer of Darkness, Shogun of Sorrow
Kitsune
Sith Devotee

Post by Kitsune »

The big problem I see if that I have CD from the 1980s that still play
People have files with the IV50 Codec
Am I going to have to worry that my present video files in 10 or 15 years will be unplayable?
"He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."
Thomas Paine

"For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten."
Executor32
Jedi Council Member
Location: In a Georgia courtroom, watching a spectacle unfold

Post by Executor32 »

Indeo is unlike most modern audio/video codecs, though, in that it was proprietary, closed-source, and wasn't widely used even when it was relevant. That's why Intel gave up on it and sold it to Ligos, and why Ligos hasn't bothered to update it in over a decade. At any rate, converting video formats is trivial, and there are a huge number of programs and even websites for that purpose. My personal favorite, SUPER, should be able to decode and convert from Indeo if the codec I linked earlier is installed, as long as the 'DirectShow decode' box is checked in SUPER.
どうして?お前が夜に自身お触れるから。
Long ago in a distant land, I, Aku, the shape-shifting Master of Darkness, unleashed an unspeakable evil,
but a foolish samurai warrior wielding a magic sword stepped forth to oppose me. Before the final blow
was struck, I tore open a portal in time and flung him into the future, where my evil is law! Now, the fool
seeks to return to the past, and undo the future that is Aku...
-Aku, Master of Masters, Deliverer of Darkness, Shogun of Sorrow
Dominus Atheos
Sith Marauder

Post by Dominus Atheos »

FFDShow should be able to play it, but (at least on my computer) support for it is disabled by default. Open the FFDShow video config window and scroll down, and you'll see Indeo 5. Set that to libavcodec.
Kitsune
Sith Devotee

Post by Kitsune »

I tend to use Freemake when I make MP4 files. I will personally have to take a look at this program at home.
Wasn't able to see if Freemake accepts IV50 format though.
As far as I can tell, I have several GB of older IVI files but none appear to be IV50 format.
Thomas Paine