Modern day children trying to operate a Sony Walkman

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Modern day children trying to operate a Sony Walkman

Post by Borgholio »

You will be assimilated...bunghole!
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Re: Modern day children trying to operate a Sony Walkman

Post by TheFeniX »

At the age of 6-7, in the age of PS3s and HDMI cables, my nephew found my N64 laying in a box at my parents house and hooked it up via the composite connectors and was playing Starfox with no intervention from me.

I grew up in the early era of CDs where cassettes were still a big thing. My dad had one of the old Sony stacked entertainment centers that he had replaced the record player with a Sony CD player (a 1-disc player, larger than an Xbox). At the age of 8, I found some of his old records, and hooked the player back up myself, and was listening to The Beatles on vinyl.

Once you understand some basic mechanics, it's not hard to figure out what fits where. There's a whole shitload of people out there who can't even hook up a modern PC, and this is in an age where everything is either color-coded, or just USB.
Haruko
Jedi Master

Post by Haruko »

I hope my nephew similarly takes my N64 off its shelf and enjoys the games I missed out on as a child.
If The Infinity Program were not a forum, it would be a pie-in-the-sky project.
Faith is both the prison and the open hand.”— Vienna Teng, "Augustine."
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

I'm surprised the people in this video didn't try to do the old, "Can you tell me how a pencil eraser and a cassette tape are related?" gag. :)
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
muse
Jedi Council Member

Post by muse »

Bic pen! You're supposed to use a Bic pen for that!
ø¤ º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur.
(Whatever is said in Latin sounds profound.)

I like Celine Dion myself. Her ballads alone....they make me go all teary-eyed and shit.
- Havok
Executor32
Jedi Council Member
Location: In a Georgia courtroom, watching a spectacle unfold

Post by Executor32 »

TheFeniX wrote:At the age of 6-7, in the age of PS3s and HDMI cables, my nephew found my N64 laying in a box at my parents house and hooked it up via the composite connectors and was playing Starfox with no intervention from me.

I grew up in the early era of CDs where cassettes were still a big thing. My dad had one of the old Sony stacked entertainment centers that he had replaced the record player with a Sony CD player (a 1-disc player, larger than an Xbox). At the age of 8, I found some of his old records, and hooked the player back up myself, and was listening to The Beatles on vinyl.

Once you understand some basic mechanics, it's not hard to figure out what fits where. There's a whole shitload of people out there who can't even hook up a modern PC, and this is in an age where everything is either color-coded, or just USB.
Case in point: everyone in my family but me. I was always the one hooking up everyone's VCRs, DVD players, and game consoles to their TVs, especially when a composite or S-video connection was involved; color-coding and shapes are apparently mystic arts understood only by a select few. Needless to say, I was always the one hooking up our computers, too.
どうして?お前が夜に自身お触れるから。
Long ago in a distant land, I, Aku, the shape-shifting Master of Darkness, unleashed an unspeakable evil,
but a foolish samurai warrior wielding a magic sword stepped forth to oppose me. Before the final blow
was struck, I tore open a portal in time and flung him into the future, where my evil is law! Now, the fool
seeks to return to the past, and undo the future that is Aku...
-Aku, Master of Masters, Deliverer of Darkness, Shogun of Sorrow
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

My dad's business had these pens that were the perfect diameter and had rubber grips. I would thread the pen through carefully, then spin the cassette on it like a clacker.
Executor32 wrote:Case in point: everyone in my family but me. I was always the one hooking up everyone's VCRs, DVD players, and game consoles to their TVs, especially when a composite or S-video connection was involved; color-coding and shapes are apparently mystic arts understood only by a select few. Needless to say, I was always the one hooking up our computers, too.
There's a large section of people that just aren't "handy." And I'm not talking about in the physical work set. Without a manual sitting in front of them (or even if there is one), they literally won't even attempt to figure something out themselves. Considering everyone in my family (with the possible exception of my sister) was of the mind "Try it yourself, then look for help," it was the weirdest damn thing when I got into IT. People would rather call out for a $120 minimum trip charge than to even attempt maybe.... check to see if the speaker cable (which was green) was plugged into the mic port (which was pink), rather than the speaker port (which was green).