CPU i7-3930 vs i7-4930

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

salm
Rabid Monkey

CPU i7-3930 vs i7-4930

Post by salm »

Hi,

i´m thinking about getting a new Computer and have a question concerning the CPU.

If I understand correctly the i7-3930K Sandy Bridge and the i7-4930K - Ivy Bridge are pretty much the same with the sole exception of the Ivy Bridge running with a couple of Mhz faster.

I´m a bit confused about this because the Sandy Bridge is more expensive than the slightly better Ivy Bridge. I can get the Sandy Bridge for €529 and the Ivy Bridge for €519. Granted the Sandy Bridge comes with w a boxed fan but if I understand correctly these fans are useless anyway.

So is there something I´m missing and the Sandy Bridge is actually worth 10 bucks more than the Ivy Bridge or is this just silly pricing?
DaveJB
Jedi Council Member

Re: CPU i7-3930 vs i7-4930

Post by DaveJB »

The stock coolers aren't really useless per se, they're just not suited to the type of insane overclocks that certain enthusiasts like to apply to high-end unlocked CPUs.

The Ivy Bridge core's main advantage is more the fact that it uses less power (and thus generates less heat) than its Sandy Bridge forerunner. If you don't intend on using the stock Intel cooler there's really no reason not to get the 4930K, though obviously you need to make sure your motherboard can support an Ivy Bridge CPU out of the box.
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

Cool, thank you.

For the mainboard I´m looking at the Asus ASUS P9X79 WS and the MSI Big Bang XPower II.
I´d like to fit in at least 3 graphics cards of the size of a GeForce GTX 770 which are quite large. These two boards look like they could hold them.

But you bring up a good point I didn´t know about. These mainboards BIOS might have to be updated to support Ivy Bridge. This, if I understand correctly, is only possible if you have access to a Sandy Bridge. So I´d first have to install a Sandy Bridge, update the BIOS and, disassemble the Sandy Bridge and then install the Ivy Bridge.

Quige an annoying process.
DaveJB
Jedi Council Member

Post by DaveJB »

You're probably as well going with a Sandy Bridge then, as the power savings from an Ivy Bridge would be completely insignificant next to those three monster graphics cards you're going to be using.
Executor32
Jedi Council Member
Location: In a Georgia courtroom, watching a spectacle unfold

Post by Executor32 »

No need to worry about that on the ASUS, since you can flash the BIOS without even booting the machine, or having anything other than the motherboard and power supply installed in the case.
どうして?お前が夜に自身お触れるから。
Long ago in a distant land, I, Aku, the shape-shifting Master of Darkness, unleashed an unspeakable evil,
but a foolish samurai warrior wielding a magic sword stepped forth to oppose me. Before the final blow
was struck, I tore open a portal in time and flung him into the future, where my evil is law! Now, the fool
seeks to return to the past, and undo the future that is Aku...
-Aku, Master of Masters, Deliverer of Darkness, Shogun of Sorrow
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

Oh, wow, thanks for the information. :D
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Building a rendering farm or a bitcoin mine with those cards?
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

It will be a GPU farm and in combination with my older and hopefully one or two more new PCs in the course of the year also a CPU render farm.

I was looking into getting one of these server racks to put in whatever I need when I want to upgrade but they seem absurdly expensive.
Beowulf
The Patrician

Post by Beowulf »

salm wrote:It will be a GPU farm and in combination with my older and hopefully one or two more new PCs in the course of the year also a CPU render farm.

I was looking into getting one of these server racks to put in whatever I need when I want to upgrade but they seem absurdly expensive.
One of the Ikea tables has legs 19" apart, just like a server rack...
"preemptive killing of cops might not be such a bad idea from a personal saftey[sic] standpoint..." --Keevan Colton
"There's a word for bias you can't see: Yours." -- William Saletan
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

Beowulf wrote:
salm wrote:It will be a GPU farm and in combination with my older and hopefully one or two more new PCs in the course of the year also a CPU render farm.

One of the Ikea tables has legs 19" apart, just like a server rack...
Yeah, I found that during my research and it looks interesting but I´m a bit reluctant to put high powered stuff into a metal case that´s not really designed for the purpose. It probably works but I´m not really that great of a tinkerer, so I´d rather go with something that I can´t mess up that easily due to idiocy on my part. :)