Homebrew system thread II, section 3

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Eleventh Century Remnant
Jedi Council Member

Re: Homebrew system thread II, section 3

Post by Eleventh Century Remnant »

All right, from the top-

Vision, yes. Unfortunately it doesn't necessarily have to be the truth you're making them percieve...it does include quite a lot of what would otherwise be called clairvoyance, as well as prophetic vision, and wishful thinking on both sides is a fairly severe problem. A lot of the actual skill is filtering actuality from what the sender and recipient want to be true. Basically, yes, with wrinkles.

Also, what specific bits are giving trouble? I thought I had explained the basics by now. In terms of being completely useless at unravelling that ritual, actually, well, plan A did fail, but something was salvageable. The augment bonuses of the initial attempts to figure it all out actually did count towards the totals of the containment; made it easier to destroy, brought it down from something like sixteen against twenty- eight to 26 v 28, much more practical. This is exactly what rites and rituals skill does, it's mainly about drafting such ceremonies, pyramiding bonuses together to reach a much higher level of skill and effectiveness that one person could alone.

Character sheets look good, waiting to see where Larric's points go (anyone want to argue for more?) and to hear from Kaelan.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

OOC:
Eleventh Century Remnant wrote:Also, what specific bits are giving trouble? I thought I had explained the basics by now.
Well, you have; it's more that I'm grousing about having made faulty assumptions that I didn't examine earlier on, but if I'd really wanted to know I should have asked. It's sorted out now.
In terms of being completely useless at unravelling that ritual, actually, well, plan A did fail, but something was salvageable...
What I mean is more that Larric just... I don't know, he's fairly good at the hitting-people side of his wizard role in the party, not so good at the dealing with hostile magic side. That will tend to come with more training, I imagine.
Character sheets look good, waiting to see where Larric's points go (anyone want to argue for more?) and to hear from Kaelan.
While personally I think Larric's had a few major moments of character-building understanding, I think 6 XP is within the realm of justice. If I'm frustrated by slow character development it's because of the pace of gameplay which is no one's fault, not because of the scale of the award. 6 XP is actually a lot if it's focused.

I mean... that's an award for two pitched battles, a couple of minor small-unit actions, about one serious act of magic and a few lesser ones... yeah. No complaints.

[Looking back I do think we were accidentally short-changed in the previous round of XP; as far as I can recall we got four points for everything from the day we set out to climb Mount Honeycomb to the battle at Qulan gates, which included two pitched battles, two small unit actions, one near-death-by-cataphract-experience, one airplane ride, several dramatic scenes of fast and/or careful movement, three days of game time, and the largest explosion we've been personally accountable for to date. Then again, my accounting may be off, we may have gotten a second XP award in the middle of all that]

Also, now that I have some confirmation I can actually lay out the character sheet revisions:
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

((OOC: Just to be clear on how things work mechanically. Am I correct in saying that this is a 3d6 roll under system (unless your skill is sufficiently high) with opposed rolls for combat tasks? Also when my character gets attacked, do I get a roll against my shield skill (if applicable) as well as a dodge attempt with a resist injury roll against damage if all that fails? I'm pretty happy with my skills as they are, I just want to be sure things work how I think they do.))
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Re: Larric Character Sheet

Post by Simon_Jester »

Here is an ongoing revised draft of Larric's "character sheet." I'm taking notes every time on what I spend points on, and why. Notes about previous days' actions have been cut for brevity. Advantage/disadvantage balance is unchanged so I'm snipping that too; it's available on request.

The math is based on the assumption that it costs 1 XP per point to raise magic skills up by one point even at very low skill levels. Larric has Wits 10, the default is 3*, but I'm assuming it costs 1 XP to increase Vision from 0 to 1, not 0.5 XP.

*Yes, I remember, magic skills do not start at default, they start at zero...

Factoring in:
[snip]
+6 XP for the events in Qulan town in the later part of the ninth day- being followed, turning the tables, interrogating our tails, bringing the evidence of the quasi-Valdemironi conspiracy to the baron, fighting and running our way past their minions, and breaking the spell they'd been using to fuel their coup attempt.

[snip]
Day Nine (Continued)
Larric got thrown brutally up against the power of religious magic and mind-foggery in the struggle against the Valdemironi. And the experience of fighting it was rather like trying to pick up a temple on his back and carry it up a mountain. There is a part of him that dreams of wielding truth like a lance in that sort of situation, and it woke up today.

He's also seen quite a bit of ritualized, organized magic, and its aftermath, over the past three quarters of a week. Set-pieces beyond the level of a few pre-scribed runes were never his modus operandi during his hedge-scientist-wizard practice before that day in Coroghan. But he's a fast learner, and his experiences are starting to gel even if he's still describing it in crayon-speak.

2 points to increase Logic- Rites and Rituals from base of 5 to 9
1 point to increase Insight from 8 to 9
3 points to increase Vision from 0 to 3.

Larric Smith

Temper 13
Determination 10
Resist Magic 13
Resist Persuasion 10

Fellowship 10
Bargain 10
Human Perception 10
Oratory 7
Politics 6

Charm 13
Animal Handling 10
Banter 11
Persuasion 13

Logic 14
Evaluate 10
Perception 16
Runes 12
Thaumaturgy 9
Rites and Rituals 9

Creativity 14
Alchemy 17
Composition 9
Scrounge 10

Education 9
Craft: Bookbinding 10
History 8

Strength 9
Club 9
Brawl 9

Endurance 10
Resist Injury 10
Resist Disease 11
Athletics 5

Agility 11
Dodge 11
Riding 6
Crossbow 11

Passions 8
Water 4
Insight 9

Wits 10
Substance 10
Air 12
Vision 3
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

OOC:
Jub wrote:((OOC: Just to be clear on how things work mechanically. Am I correct in saying that this is a 3d6 roll under system (unless your skill is sufficiently high) with opposed rolls for combat tasks? Also when my character gets attacked, do I get a roll against my shield skill (if applicable) as well as a dodge attempt with a resist injury roll against damage if all that fails? I'm pretty happy with my skills as they are, I just want to be sure things work how I think they do.))
I'm still a little unsure about how the roll mechanic works, but it is definitely a roll-under system. I think it's a d20 (by default) so as to avoid statistical clumping around rolls of 10, but I could be wrong.

Rolling farther under the minimum requirement is invariably better.

Combat tasks (and other conflicts) are opposed rolls. As a rule, ECR's system goes with "one attack and one defense per round," and defines 'round' as however long it takes for that attack and defense to be resolved.

Exactly what the attack and defense are depends on context. It's usually obvious what skill is being used to attack, though other skills might supplement it (knowledge of Thaumaturgy making an Air magic attack more effective).

I suspect the opposed attack/defense system can be applied in other arenas too; if it isn't possible to attack someone with Politics, it darn well ought to be, for certain values of "attack."

Defense... I think you have to pick one skill to defend with. Having multiple skills doesn't stack in that you get to use all of the appropriate ones in succession; you have to pick one.

Larric tends to frantically dive out of the way of incoming pointy things, so he almost invariably opposes an attack roll with Dodge. On the other hand, he's done stuff like electromagnetically push a blade away from himself (oppose with Air magic, I presume). Theoretically he could block an attack with a stick (parrying with Club), or something like that.

On the other hand, having multiple overlapping skills can help- for example, a certain sorceress might rely on Dodge as a defense, but then boost it with skill in Dance, or augment her agility with Motion magic, or any of a number of other such gambits. So having multiple modes of defense available can stack... in a way.

By and large you'd pick whichever defensive skill is most appropriate as the primary. If I were you, I'd pick whichever skill had the highest score and was consistent with the nature of the attack. For example, if you're being attacked with a cloud of live steam, defending with a shield is not very useful... but dodging is!

ECR's usually pretty gracious about letting characters defend themselves with whatever mode would be most likely to work, given the list of things on the character sheet. In Bertram's case, that's usually going to be his shield, I suspect.

If I remember everything I've been told... Resist Injury is, yes, rolled as a contingency if and only if you get hurt. And that a success permits you to remain functional through the pain, or possibly ignore the injury outright in the extreme limiting case.
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Thanks Simon, it makes me feel better about my character knowing that his skills do work the way I thought they did.
Eleventh Century Remnant
Jedi Council Member

Hm. Mostly; furthest under wins, usually d20, skills above 20 are rolled for on the value of the skill, hence there are some weird and wonderful combinations out there that you don't need to worry about yet. (Highest effective total, and it was a very major ritual indeed- basically making sure a dead god dreaming did not rise again, which was quite a surprise (con, actually) to half the ritual team- any PC had to roll against was an 86. It came up a 2.)

Multiple actions are possible- usually not advisable until more XP, which all right, you do have a point, Simon, I'd missed one round of awards there- because the way they work is to divide your skill between the number of actions, and then add the skill base- say 16, base of 4. Attacking two people, 16/2, 8, plus base, two attempts of 12. Three, 5.33 each plus 4 each, which I'd usually round one up, giving 6-5-5, adding to 10-9-9 and spot the statistical exploit? I think now that the maximum number of actions you can take should be capped at the augment bonus (divide by eight, round to nearest) for the skill.

Yes, you can use social skills in that way- contests of bluff and counterbluff, and I'm not always as straight with this one as I should be- from young players, the usual games club kids, I don't expect much, but the amount of acting and blather that should be there as well as that rises the more I expect from the player. In theory, and shambling into practise when I can, there is a bonus system- you should be getting bonus points for good description.

Vision, actually, half a point each up to, with a power of ten, six- so that should be Vision 6.

Oh, and now you can do it all again because you've reminded me of something that I wanted to go back and fix, and don't think I did, so everybody, have an extra five XP.

It may be another long weekend- for medical reasons (not me, touch wood, but giving lifts to hospitals and things may occur) contact may be intermittent over the next couple of days.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Well, I won't say no...

Factoring in:
[snip]
+5 XP awarded because of perceived deficiency in previous awards by DM?

Day Nine: Additional Award
A few points on things that feel appropriate and that he's been exercising; also this gives me a chance to fix something that's been bothering me- Larric is bookish and no mistake, but he's not completely ignorant of local culture in reality, or shouldn't be.

1 point to increase Insight from 9 to 10
1 points to increase Politics from 6 to 7
0.5 points to increase Theology from 7 to 8
2.5 points to increase Fellowship- Culture(Kuquani) from the base of 3 to 7

Larric Smith

Temper 13
Determination 10
Resist Magic 14

Resist Persuasion 10

Fellowship 10
Bargain 10
Human Perception 10
Oratory 7
Politics 7
Culture (Kuquani) 7

Charm 13
Animal Handling 10
Banter 11
Persuasion 13

Logic 14
Evaluate 10
Perception 16
Runes 12
Thaumaturgy 9
Theology 8

Creativity 14
Alchemy 17
Composition 9
Scrounge 10

Education 9
Craft: Bookbinding 10
History 8

Strength 9
Club 9
Brawl 9

Endurance 10
Resist Injury 10
Resist Disease 11
Athletics 5

Agility 11
Dodge 11
Riding 6
Crossbow 11

Passions 8
Water 4
Insight 10

Wits 10
Substance 10
Air 12
Vision 6
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Assuming I also get the extra 5 points I'm adding to Resist Magic (2pts.), Axe (2pts.), Shield (1pt.).
Temper 14:
Determination 15, Resist Magic 12, Resist Persuasion 12

Fellowship 14:
Bargain 15, Human Perception 12, Leadership 10

Charm 15:
Banter 12, Con 15, Persuasion 10

Logic 10:
Economics 7, Perception 10, Politics 5

Creativity 10:
Inspire 11, Tactics 9

Education 10:
Craft (Brewer) 10, Culture (Local) 8, Business 5

Strength 13:
Axe 15, Brawl 8, Shield 13

Endurance 12:
Resist Injury 15, Survival 10

Agility 10:
Riding 10, Dodge 10
Fiji_Fury
Padawan Learner

Post by Fiji_Fury »

5 more XP? Sweet. Distribution will be:

+1xp to Politics (from seeing this scheming happening and the court divisions Dale has a better understanding of the local power structures)
+1xp to Persuasion (convincing Dirt and Bertram to stand down from the snaring ritual)
+1xp to Theology (interactions with the Ikhrani and Valdemironi are bringing back further awareness)
+2xp to Arcane Motion (used a lot of enhancements to regular movement in combat recently)

Temper -14
(10) Determination
(10) Intimidate
(16) Resist Magic
(11) Resist Persuasion

Fellowship - 10
(10) Human Perception
(8) Oratory
(8 + 1 = 9) Politics

Charm - 11
(8) Allure
(9) Courtliness
(12 + 1 = 13) Persuasion

Logic - 15
(10) Evaluate
(7) Rites & Rituals
(13) Perception
(10) Runes
(12 + 1 = 13) Theology

Creativity - 11
(12) Musical Instrument
(11) Tactics

Education - 12
(12) Culture (human)
(13) Legends and Lore

Strength - 11
(14) Athletics
(9) Brawl
(5) Shield

Endurance - 13
(13) Resist Injury
(11) Resist Disease
(8) Survival

Agility
(13) Dodge
(10) Stealth
(15) Long Sword
(13) Dagger/Knife

Mystical/Arcane Abilities
Ponderances [5] - Sense (7) & Consequence (4)
Talents [4] - Motion (4+2 =6) & Life (4)
Divine Magic of Dnor [3] - Shadowspeak (7)
Kaelan
Jedi Knight

Post by Kaelan »

Sorry for the delay, I've been having problems n logging in.
I'll get the 11xp spent soon (but would prefer to enter it on the PC and not the 7' Nexus with my large figures (need to get a sylus at some point).
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

OOC:

Is there any possibility that we could continue play and let Kaelan add his XP a bit later? I mean, I don't want to exclude him, but it's been over a week and I'd like for us to get moving again if possible.
Fiji_Fury
Padawan Learner

Post by Fiji_Fury »

I'm in agreement with Simon. Kaelan can certainly add his xp at the first opportunity he has. The rest of us on "pause" would like to continue with the game. The only down-side I'm seeing is that if Kaelan can't get his xp sorted yet then he probably doesn't have much time/access to play at the moment.

Even so, I'd like us to advance the game/plot with a routine expectation that updates will come at least once a week (I've been guilty in the past of dragging my heels for longer). That way we have a flexible but declared pace for new developments. Would the rest of you be amenable to this suggestion?
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

I'd be up for moving forward a bit, but keeping a slower pace until Kaelan gets back to us.
Eleventh Century Remnant
Jedi Council Member

Fine- fact is I've been away a lot too, in various fields and periods- just done my first seventeenth century, English civil war show, in the pike block grunting and shoving and trying not to break anything. Only someone with rocks in their head could really want to do it; it is an excellent way to get hurt, worse than any other form of reenactment except maybe jousting. In other news, I may lack common sense.

I think you're right though, just push on. The group is heading for the castle, trying to retrieve what can be saved from the situation, yes?

What you're going to find when you get there is the back of a sea of people, many of them now quite confused and trying to figure out what just happened to them. There is much shouting, and some clash of arms from the castle mound- there is some torch and a little magical light, enough to see that some are fleeing, some are looking for vengeance, and some are still attacking- parts of the wall have been pulled down.

Actions?
The only purpose in my still being here is the stories and the people who come to read them. About all else, I no longer care.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

OOC:

What, pulled down parts of the stone walls of the castle, or the wooden walls of the palisade?

IC:

Larric cups his hands to make a crude megaphone, then cups a curl of air magic to make an amplifier. He calls out, letting the magic amplify the reverberations of his voice rather than shouting. He wants to sound loud, but without the tone of a shouting man, to as maintain some portion of his Charm-Persuasion. The greatest force of his voice is directed at the knots of men still trying to gain entry.

"This was all a mistake! None of us should have to be doing this! Fall back, go home, it'll all be less mad in the morning!"

OOC MK II:

Larric may not be telling the truth, but he's sincere- it's hard for him to see what the town would manage to be more mad than a pitched battle like this, at least on only one day's notice. Surely possible, mind you.
Eleventh Century Remnant
Jedi Council Member

The castle outer wall had been broken through by the Striking Phoenix in the war, and the repairs were never fully completed; what happened was that the siegers made some progress to re- opening the breach, and it is clear that and the main gate were where most of the fighting was.

Most of what s still happening seems to be an attempt by angry townsmen to lynch the Valdemironi, who are being defended by the relatively few true believers; some of the constable's and sheriff's men are still trying to beat back the crowd and take out the ringleaders, as well as settle a few scores; there are a handful of yeomanry who, although probably not believers, were happy to attack the castle anyway as a chance to drop a few of the upper class.

The edges of the crowd are already starting to drift away, and Larric's persuasion accelerates them on their way, but it is a big crowd with a few people in it who are capable of being dangerous idiots without magical aid.
Fiji_Fury
Padawan Learner

Post by Fiji_Fury »

Well, here's a problem. Larric has edged the mob into further dispersing but it's happening slowly and there's a dangerously large group still present.

The Valdemironi were manipulators and deserve punishment... but they also were manipulated and we may want their living testimony about what happened.

The Yeomen are being rebellious which isn't within our scope to address. I can't entirely blame them, but what they've done hasn't helped the situation either. Vengeance is unlikely to be a productive approach to social justice.

The angry townsmen have a point, but lynching the priests and their protectors isn't a great way to go either.

The constable and sheriff's men are doing right by keeping the crowd back... but settling scores is not helpful right now.

Then there are us: the crazy ones with the OGRE in tow. I know that Dirt is his own man (so to speak) but it won't exactly look that way to most others. What exactly do we want to achieve here and how will people react to us taking direct actions?
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Larric's next augmented attempt at persuasion is "Take surrenders! Take prisoners! Let them live! There's a double-trick here, we need the priests alive!"

Hope that works on the people actually fighting. If it doesn't trigger obvious action he's going to have to get closer to the scene of action and see if he can find anyone with authority and persuasive power to convince the townsmen not to murder the priests.
Kaelan
Jedi Knight

Post by Kaelan »

OOC - OK I back again (post hectic work, hospital, etc...)

CS spend as follow: 1 Axe, 1 shield, 1 Brawl, 1 Human Culture (fellowship), 1 Perception, 1 Intimidate
balance for magic (5) once I have a grip on how the spend work for it. I'll post a full CS later, but I don't want to break the flow at the moment. In future if I haven't posted in a couple of days proceed without me as thinks are likely going to get hectic again in June. I will most likely be able to post frequently and read the posts, but may be pressed for time to put up long posts.

Back IC
Dirt looks to the party, "Easier to talk if we at front. Follow."
Looking at the crowd Dirt only bellows one instruction at the top of his voice.
"MOVE"
At which point he marches with purpose towards the breach and priests.
Does anybody attempt to stop or impede the blood covered ogre (complete with hissing carnivorous plant) hefting his axe and stomping towards the priests with the murderous glint of inevitable doom in his eyes?

and on a side note, are any of the party following? Spoiler
of course given how things have panned out recently, depending on how Dirt is treated on his approach there is a high chance he will be bringing back only a few alive(ish) priests
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Larric responds to Dirt by, yes, getting closer and arguably following him, calling out over and over "Let them give up!"
Fiji_Fury
Padawan Learner

Post by Fiji_Fury »

Dale follows the others in, keeping his eyes on the crowd to look for any surprises. He's keen to grab the Valdemironi priests but is not about to rush off ahead or alone from the others. He glances at Bertram and wonders if the man knows any of the people in the crowd that he can hurry away.
Eleventh Century Remnant
Jedi Council Member

As the crowd thins out and you can start to see past them- Dirt' s advantage of height helps- it becomes clear that there are three loci of fighting, with some of the townsmen, who are quite confused themselves, forming rings of spectators, trying to reason out in a mobbish way what happened and how they got there.

They are not easy to push through, especially as most of them are armed. There are a couple of 'who do you think you're shoving...oh.' moments, as Dirt makes way and the rest of the party follow in his wake. Without him you'd be getting nowhere fast, or only at the cost of power you can't really spare.

There is a movement out of the breach towards where the mailed fist and crown standard seems to be, and the forthright and moonlight is split by a magical flare as a bolt of fire reaches from the breach down to strike the standard bearer, who is caught and set ablaze by it. The standard wavers; following the bolt back to its' source, a wild- eyed steel bikini clad paladin who looks obscenely happy to be setting people on fire.

Or, if you go with the other interpretation, destroying the evidence...

You're in a race, now. Actions?
The only purpose in my still being here is the stories and the people who come to read them. About all else, I no longer care.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Larric tries something he hasn't done in a few days, and may have been able to refine-

He twists together a whirl of Air-and-Substance and starts drawing away the oxygen from the air around the knot Valdemironi. They're being physically active, breathing rapidly; momentary hypoxia will make them gasp and disrupt their movements pretty quickly, making it easier to take them alive.

As a side effect, this also makes them a lot less flammable!
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Bertram decides he'd be best served working with the crowd of common folks and trying to get them broken up. To aid in this he wades into them, pushing through like he's serving drinks during a meal rush, and calls out, "Listen to me! You all need to go home, tend to your wounded, and get some rest. There will be a grim sort of work to be done tomorrow without any more made by this confusion. Your questions will be answered then."

He tries his to speak clearly and firmly, the way he would speak to a stubborn drunk at close.