Upgrading A Socket 604 CPU

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Upgrading A Socket 604 CPU

Post by Zaune »

Cross-posting from Reddit, and the Arch-Rival. (Original post.)

So, I've got an ex-lease workstation (an HP XW8200 to be exact) sporting a brace of Intel Xeons at 3.60GHz, which sounded a lot more impressive than it actually turned out to be once I found some benchmark information.
Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find out much else useful; Passmark doesn't have a category for Socket 604 anymore and Intel's website isn't much help either. I therefore have the following questions:
  1. What's the best Socket 604 CPU available, and how much should I expect to pay for a pair of them?
  2. How much of an actual performance improvement am I likely to get?
  3. Am I going to need a PSU better than 600w?
  4. Is this actually worth the hassle, or should I just bite the bullet and start saving up for a new PC?
Extra information in response to a question asked in the comments: I've got a Geforce GTX480 graphics card (on order, current GPU is an HD5450), 8GB of RAM, a single 1TB hard drive (no SSD yet) and a Blu-Ray drive that I almost never actually use. Cooling is all stock, with three case fans.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Re: Upgrading A Socket 604 CPU

Post by Starglider »

That was the last-gen pin grid array socket, before everyone moved to land grid array. The good news is that the 3.6 GHz Northwoods were the fastest Pentium 4s ever made for single-threaded benchmarks (excepting a few cache-specific ones). The bad news is that the dual-core Pentium 4s didn't arrive until the following (Prescott) generation. P4 had horrible IPC and the dual-socket versions were still saddled with a shared FSB, also it only supported the initial sucky version of DDR2 that was actually slower than decent DDR1 memory. CPU & memory performance will be comparable to a contemporary (cheap dual-core ~2 GHz) netbook. This is why I only bought Opterons servers at that time, they were faster to start with and AMD's better socket stability meant they were forward compatible with the dual-core Opterons (did that upgrade myself on several machines).

An SSD is the only meaningful upgrade. A GTX 480 is already going to be held back by the CPU and first-gen PCIe + FSB performance, anything newer would definitely be a waste.
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

I've had a few other people elsewhere suggest later Xeons like the 7150N X7460; will those actually work, even somewhat hobbled by the low FSB? I've seen used ones for surprisingly little on eBay.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

I Have A Blog
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

Zaune wrote:I've had a few other people elsewhere suggest later Xeons like the 7150N X7460; will those actually work, even somewhat hobbled by the low FSB? I've seen used ones for surprisingly little on eBay.
No idea, I clearly didn't notice at the time or didn't remember that a PGA version of the Pentium D was released. That said I'd be surprised if it did work, because the P4-D was internally two Pentiums on a shared FSB similar to the original dual-socket configuration; dual P4-Ds were equivalent to the old quad-socket shared FSB boards which required a different northbridge. Even if it did work 4 cores on one FSB kills multithreading performance for anything but the smallest working sets. Finally most games still prefer a faster dual-core over a slower quad-core, so might not be relevant to your use cases anyway (video encoding likes more cores but the ISA extensions on a modern CPU blow away those old P4s).
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

The most CPU-intensive thing I do right now is playing Dwarf Fortress, so multithreading taking a hit isn't a complete dealbreaker.

-- fgalkin

I Have A Blog
DaveJB
Jedi Council Member

Post by DaveJB »

Starglider wrote:No idea, I clearly didn't notice at the time or didn't remember that a PGA version of the Pentium D was released. That said I'd be surprised if it did work, because the P4-D was internally two Pentiums on a shared FSB similar to the original dual-socket configuration; dual P4-Ds were equivalent to the old quad-socket shared FSB boards which required a different northbridge. Even if it did work 4 cores on one FSB kills multithreading performance for anything but the smallest working sets. Finally most games still prefer a faster dual-core over a slower quad-core, so might not be relevant to your use cases anyway (video encoding likes more cores but the ISA extensions on a modern CPU blow away those old P4s).
There were some dual-core Socket 604 Xeons produced back in 2005 (the Pentium D was only ever S775), but no-one took any notice of them because they were spectacularly awful in comparison to the dual-core Opterons that were being produced at the time. Heck, the dual/quad-core Opterons even shat all over the Core 2-based Xeons thanks to the latter still being hobbled by the multi-die shared FSB approach; it wasn't until the Nehalem Xeons showed up that Intel retook the lead in that sector.