Divinity Oseries

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Divinity Oseries

Post by mr friendly guy »

Ok so last year I tentatively started playing games again. Recently I have been playing the RTS game Divine Dragon Commander (can you say Dragon with a jetpack), and it got me interested in what the company Larian studios have produced. They currently have Divinity original sin out with an alpha version for testing. However they have done some other games in the Divinity series and I was wondering who has played it. If so what do you think of it? How does Larian handle the RPG?

Note the newer Original Sin seems to use turn base mode instead of real time fighting which you see in games like Skyrim and Amalur, so its clearly different. Although the art doesn't look as large as previous Divinity games, it still might be worth checking out.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
PREDATOR490
Jedi Council Member

Re: Divinity Oseries

Post by PREDATOR490 »

The whole series was available on Steam for a discount and I got it.

The earlier games are extremely old graphically - It is kinda on level with Diablo 1
Story wise - I only played a bit but it seemed decent enough however you do not get to be a dragon which made me drop it

Divinity 2 - I really liked this game and the graphics are leaps and bounds ahead
Story Wise - You actually get to be a dragon in this but it is kinda wonky in implementation. Especially because the game got released in an unfinished state. Larian claim they wanted to add more but ran out of time and the additional videos mention they wanted 20ish levels. Instead you get 5ish.
The expansion adds a bit more but you do not get to be a dragon until the end, its pretty much run around a single town with a dragon battle at the end.

If your coming from Dragon Commander - Drop all your expectations and suspension of belief about the continuity
Story and implementation are not Larians best points but I thought they had a bit of charm. The Dragon aspect is kinda cool but this is the area where implementation ran into a wall.
For the generic RPG story - expect what you would get from the usual RPG, fetch quests, kill quests, some 'moral' choices, puzzle quests and... lots of searching for items / gear.