Looking for a television hub device

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Looking for a television hub device

Post by mr friendly guy »

Basically I currently have a Western Digital TV Live streaming media player. Despite its name I don't really use it to stream stuff from the internet onto my television. I use it to play video files on the television which I connect via a USB, and that's pretty much what I really want such a device for. I am aware the device can do more, but at this point in time I am not interested in the other functions.

The video files I watch are in turn connected to the WD media player via a 2 TB Hard drive (of which I am close to using 1 TB memory). If anyone must know, this hard drive was what I used to store all my files on, since my desktops hard drive was insufficient. However since I upgraded to a 3 TB hard drive with USB 3 capability I've found a new use for this older hard drive.

Unfortunately this media player device has some limitations, that is it can't play all the file formats I like, which would be a nightmare to try and convert those file formats it can't play just for this. For example certain WMV files it can't play (and yes I've heard WMV isn't a file format per se, and according to WD it can handle WMV 9, but not WMV 2, which I have no idea what those mean exactly :wink: ). It also has problems with some .FLV files for some reason.

So what I am looking for is a dedicated device that can connect to my television and allow me to watch video files on the big screen. It must have the following features

a. Be able to play more file formats than what my current one does - Generally I will need MKV, AVI, MP4, WMV, FLV
b. handle subtitle files - SRT files would be sufficient
c. At least 2 USB ports for convenience
d. Ideally should be able to copy files from one source to another (usually this requires the device to have its own hard drive or have cloud capability)- so every time I download some new media I don't have to unplug the 2 TB hard drive each time and reconnect to my desktop. If it can allow me to simply copy media from computer to a portable hard drive and then after I watch it on my media hub, copy it into the already connected 2 TB hard drive.

I am willing to fork out around $200 USD for it.

Any help would be appreciated.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Re: Looking for a television hub device

Post by Zaune »

A Raspberry Pi. No, really. It's got two USB ports, a built-in TV connection, at least one distro can run VLC player and it can do HD movies. You'll need an SD card for the OS, a keyboard and mouse of some sort and possibly a powered USB hub but the total cost shouldn't exceed US$100.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
Dominus Atheos
Sith Marauder

Post by Dominus Atheos »

An old pc. Your local classified ads should have dozens. Especially look for laptops with hdmi outs and broken screens.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor

If we use the idea of creating my own hub using an old PC or a new computer like a Raspberry Pi, is there any device that can be used as a remote control?
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Raspberry-Pi ... 1c2&_uhb=1

It seems some people are building their own media centre using Raspberry Pi. Since it uses XBMC I am assuming it will be able to handle most formats including the ones I have problems with.

At the price they are selling it for, its not much cheaper compared to a boxee box. The only problem with the boxee is that its no longer continued so I query about the level of support. On another side, the problems reported with the box don't apply to what I want it for.

Edit - while the boxee clearly has more RAM than a Raspberry Pi, it most probably can't copy files like the RP.

Edit 2 - the other issue is with boot up times. How fast can a RP boot up. My WD for the most part boots up fairly quickly.

Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

mr friendly guy wrote:How fast can a RP boot up. My WD for the most part boots up fairly quickly.
Depends on the distro, but it boots off an SD card so probably pretty quick. As for a remote, one of those bluetooth keyboards with a built-in trackball is likeely your best bet. You might want to check the official RPi forums, though, some dongles work better than others.

And that eBay deal looks a bit of a rip-off to me. Let me get back to you on this one, I'm researching buying one of these for my nephew's birthday anyway.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

I Have A Blog
Melchior
Jedi Master

Post by Melchior »

Do you need to play very demanding .mkv files (think high bitrate 10bit blu ray rips with FLAC audio)?
Dominus Atheos
Sith Marauder

Post by Dominus Atheos »

mr friendly guy wrote:If we use the idea of creating my own hub using an old PC or a new computer like a Raspberry Pi, is there any device that can be used as a remote control?
I use a Lenovo Multimedia Remote Keyboard

It's what I used to type up my first reply to this thread.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor

Melchior wrote:Do you need to play very demanding .mkv files (think high bitrate 10bit blu ray rips with FLAC audio)?
Yeah I do. Most of my files aren't of that calibre though.

Dominus Atheos
Sith Marauder

Post by Dominus Atheos »

There's absolutely no way that single core 700mhz ARM cpu is going to be able to playback anything better then a shitty divx file.
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

Dominus Atheos wrote:There's absolutely no way that single core 700mhz ARM cpu is going to be able to playback anything better then a shitty divx file.
It's got a separate GPU. Same chipset as a Roku player if that tells you anything, and according to the FAQs the makers reckon it's about on a par with the original Xbox on paper.

-- fgalkin

I Have A Blog
mr friendly guy
The Doctor

Do computer shops which build your own desktop let you build your own version of Raspberry Pi. Well not the device per se, but could you get them to use a RP motherboard, add in your own chip, heat sink, USB connections, and a cover. That might guarantee the playback issue is sorted out. Then install XBMC. It might be fun to make even if it doesn't work as planned.

mr friendly guy
The Doctor

It just occurred to me that I could just buy a mini PC and use it as a dedicated media player instead of an old laptop. For example

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ZOTAC-ZBOX-I ... 570&_uhb=1

I would have to bargain down the price a little (it allows me to make offers) to get it within my $200 USD target if I want a decent remote control as well.

Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

mr friendly guy wrote:Do computer shops which build your own desktop let you build your own version of Raspberry Pi. Well not the device per se, but could you get them to use a RP motherboard, add in your own chip, heat sink, USB connections, and a cover. That might guarantee the playback issue is sorted out. Then install XBMC. It might be fun to make even if it doesn't work as planned.
That sounds like a cool idea, but I'm afraid not. The RPi's a self-contained unit and not very modular, and it doesn't actually need heatsinks unless you're doing some really drastic overclocking.

-- fgalkin

I Have A Blog
mr friendly guy
The Doctor

What about Android tv box sets. Youtube videos show that it seems to handle HD files quite well, but the controller sucks donkey balls, which isn't a big deal since DA gave an example of a good remote. There appears to be a MX box and some other one with better specs, but seems to have less USB ports. Not that its an issue as I can buy a USB hub. Seems cheaper than buying a mini PC.

Executor32
Jedi Council Member
Location: In a Georgia courtroom, watching a spectacle unfold

Post by Executor32 »

As far as your 'remote' goes, might I suggest this one? It's similar to the one DA posted above, but instead of some proprietary 2.4 GHz crap that only works with the included dongle, it uses Bluetooth so you can use it with a PS3 or even your phone if you really want, includes a USB Bluetooth adapter that can be tucked into a slot in the side of the keyboard and can be used to connect any other Bluetooth device as well, and has a built-in laser pointer for pestering your cat. Sure, it's no Lenovo, but I've had one for about a year and a half and I can vouch for its excellent build quality. The only caveat is that it uses a built-in rechargable battery instead of AAs like the Lenovo, but depending on just how much you use it, the battery can last for months between charges. The charging cable that comes with it is pretty short, but it's mini-USB so you can easily replace it with a longer one if you need to.
どうして?お前が夜に自身お触れるから。
Long ago in a distant land, I, Aku, the shape-shifting Master of Darkness, unleashed an unspeakable evil,
but a foolish samurai warrior wielding a magic sword stepped forth to oppose me. Before the final blow
was struck, I tore open a portal in time and flung him into the future, where my evil is law! Now, the fool
seeks to return to the past, and undo the future that is Aku...
-Aku, Master of Masters, Deliverer of Darkness, Shogun of Sorrow
Sharp-kun
Sith Devotee

Post by Sharp-kun »

I've got an old PC downstairs running XBMCBuntu. It's not the best specced machine (1Gb RAM!) but its easily capable of playing Blu-Ray quality files (LotR comes in at ~50Gb a film and streams from my desktop to it fine).

In the bedroom we've got a Pi doing similar, but it won't play the more demanding stuff.

Using an old HTC Desire as a remote (running Yatse) though both the wife and I's phones and tablets also run it so its easy to control.

Depending on how much you want to play it can either just play files, or you can set it up as a proper media server and have it organise media for you.
Meest
Jedi Master

Post by Meest »

Matricom has a HTPC for $188 on Amazon Here, their smaller ones work well also if you want to save some money. Has an SSD so might be what you're looking for in coping things over faster. Like their stuff because it comes jailbroken already, so less hassle if you're not inclined to deal with that stuff. I use my tablet as a remote but they have IR options if you need it. I have a dual core one and does 1080p fine, even through wireless, though it is within 10 feet from the streaming PC. Used Plex or direct from USB and haven't noticed any stutter on compressed blu-ray.
"Somehow I feel, that in the long run, Thanos of Titan came out ahead in this particular deal."
mr friendly guy
The Doctor

I am considering breaking my $200 USD limit. After a bit of research on XBMC messageboards it seems most people have at least HTPCs, and since I only need one, I think its not unreasonable to spend a little more. I got my eye on a zotac zbox ID 18. It has Celeron 1007U and Intel HD. I plan to install about 60 GB SSD with 2 GB RAM. I am mainly interested in trying OpenElec but in case I might want to try XBMCbuntu I figure 2 GB would be enough. Plus 6 USB ports.

As for the remotes, the suggestions offered seem adequate for what I want.

Dominus Atheos
Sith Marauder

Post by Dominus Atheos »

That's what i meant when i recommended an old laptop with a broken screen. You can buy a purpose-built htpc, but i really don't see the point.

Why are you so interested in XBMC? What's wrong with the standard windows interface?
mr friendly guy
The Doctor

Dominus Atheos wrote:That's what i meant when i recommended an old laptop with a broken screen. You can buy a purpose-built htpc, but i really don't see the point.

Why are you so interested in XBMC? What's wrong with the standard windows interface?
In answer to the first question, I guess its aesthetics. Using a mini PC the custom built HTPC won't take up much space. Also I am using new components, and something about it being new rather than second hand does it for me. Shrugs, its just the way I am.

In regards to the second, I want a fast boot up time, similar to how my WD hub boots up reasonably fast. I was under the impression XBMC would do that (being a linux system, and being designed for playing media files only doesn't have the other stuff windows has).

SCRawl
Has a bad feeling about this.

Post by SCRawl »

I use my main PC with a 10m long HDMI cable between my computer and the receiver. I use the wireless mouse to navigate from my seating area (although it's only about 3m from where the mouse would be if I were sitting at the computer.) When I rebuilt my basement I did so with this arrangement in mind, so this might not work for everyone.
73% of all statistics are made up, including this one.

I'm waiting as fast as I can.
Sharp-kun
Sith Devotee

Post by Sharp-kun »

The advantage of XBMC is is that its a dedicated media box. Its one thing that does Youtube, iPlayer, all your media etc

Smartphone remote control apps are nice too.

If you want you can run XBMC on windows (at one point I had Windows 7 loading XBMC rather than Explorer on boot) or you can get something like XBMCBuntu. Both will give you the same experience but you may get better performance out of Buntu.
mr friendly guy
The Doctor

I was thinking OpenElec should be sufficient without going for XBMCBuntu. I am assuming you can copy files with OpenElec. Its so I can transfer files from a portable HD to my mega hard drive which will be connected to my HTPC.

mr friendly guy
The Doctor

Update. So I got adventurous and created my own HTPC. I used OpenElec and the Zotac Zbox ID18 which was highly recommended on XBMC boards. 2 GB RAM and 60 GGB SSD and it runs smoothly and also seems to play the files which my WD media hub can't do. I used DA's suggestion of a Lenovo remote control. So far so good, seems faster. Is there any point to changing skins with OpenElect. I don't want to make the system run too slow etc, but I am interested to see what other displays it has.