Quest-for-Glory-style indie CRPG "Heroine's Quest" available

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Xisiqomelir
Jedi Council Member

Quest-for-Glory-style indie CRPG "Heroine's Quest" available

Post by Xisiqomelir »

Heroine's Quest: The Herald of Ragnarok is an adventure / RPG hybrid. Like in many adventure games, you have a world to save, and must use your wit, guile and inventory to puzzle your way through. Like in many roleplaying games, you can customize your character with various classes and skills, and must train yourself in combat to stand a chance against the fierce monsters in your way.

The game is designed in the spirit and atmosphere of the classics, and strives to have the same high quality of art, music, and plot. With multiple character classes and several solutions to many puzzles, the game has excellent replayability.
Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... gzU3nybN5Y

Screens:

Download (~400MB): http://www.crystalshard.net/hq.htm

+ Pixel art (<100 backgrounds, >10,000 animation sprites)
+ Full voice acting
+ Multiple paths to victory
Eulogy
Jedi Knight

Re: Quest-for-Glory-style indie CRPG "Heroine's Quest" avail

Post by Eulogy »

can you grind lockpicking by picking your nose over and over
"A word of advice: next time you post, try not to inadvertently reveal why you've had no success with real women." Darth Wong to Bubble Boy
"I see you do not understand objectivity," said Tom Carder, a fundie fucknut to Darth Wong
Executor32
Jedi Council Member
Location: In a Georgia courtroom, watching a spectacle unfold

Post by Executor32 »

Does the game actually run at 320x200 like the FAQ says, or is it scaled up to a modern resolution? I suppose I'll find out in an hour or so when my download is finally done, but it'd be nice to know ahead of time if I'm going to have to deal with desktop jankiness when I run it.
Eulogy wrote:can you grind lockpicking by picking your nose over and over
WHY IS THIS NOT A BASIC GAMEPLAY MECHANIC
どうして?お前が夜に自身お触れるから。
Long ago in a distant land, I, Aku, the shape-shifting Master of Darkness, unleashed an unspeakable evil,
but a foolish samurai warrior wielding a magic sword stepped forth to oppose me. Before the final blow
was struck, I tore open a portal in time and flung him into the future, where my evil is law! Now, the fool
seeks to return to the past, and undo the future that is Aku...
-Aku, Master of Masters, Deliverer of Darkness, Shogun of Sorrow
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Executor32 wrote:Does the game actually run at 320x200 like the FAQ says, or is it scaled up to a modern resolution? I suppose I'll find out in an hour or so when my download is finally done, but it'd be nice to know ahead of time if I'm going to have to deal with desktop jankiness when I run it.
There's a fullscreen option (go look in the Start Menu shortcuts if you make those, otherwise it'll be in the game folder) And it scales up. Mine does have black boxes so I assume there's a max it goes to (otherwise I imagine it'll look like shit) but you don't have to deal with windowed mode.

This is one of those games that I ended up playing and then looked up at a clock, wondered where the hours went, shrugged my shoulders and kept on. Which is really the highest praise I can think to give. :D

For a game made by independent developers and done all volunteer, it really holds up as well as a professionally done game. The only complaints I've had are, admittedly, extremely minor things (like wanting a bit more variety in battle music) that are easily addressed by the fact this is A) a free game and B) done entirely by volunteers, so yeah. No real complaints here, and TBH this does go above and beyond in quite a few respects. Some of those cutscenes are absolutely gorgeous.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Meest
Jedi Master

Post by Meest »

Guessing it's made on AGS, so should have scale up options. Never heard of this remake, most of the remake companies are going with original titles and using kickstarter type funding now.
"Somehow I feel, that in the long run, Thanos of Titan came out ahead in this particular deal."
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Eulogy wrote:can you grind lockpicking by picking your nose over and over
How could you do that when the main character has no nose ?
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Meest wrote:Guessing it's made on AGS, so should have scale up options. Never heard of this remake, most of the remake companies are going with original titles and using kickstarter type funding now.
It's not a remake, it's an original title. Obviously inspired by and a tribute to QFG, but it's its own thing (though there are of course, Easter Eggs to various Sierra titles).

I think this is pretty impressive considering they went on, at best, scattered PayPal donations rather than a kickstarter.

So, aside from Xis (obviously) who else is playing this? I want to compare notes, dammit! :mrgreen:
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

Damn I haven't played something like this since the QFG2 remake came out.

I actually just looked and Quest for Infamy is coming out too. Things are looking up!

Also thanks for the link :D Quest for glory is one of those series I always go back to playing and replaying at some point just for the nostalgia value
Connor MacLeod
Sith Apprentice

Post by Connor MacLeod »

Well playing this as a fighter (I always start these things out as a fighter) I'm quite impressed with the game. Graphics are beautiful art-wise, although obviously intentionally dated (nostalgia factor). Music and voice effects aren't the best, but its nothing to get enraged over (I've heard far worse localizations of anime and game stuff I've bought.) and I'm happy so long as it doesn't hurt my ears.

The norse slant on things was pretty awesome, but this really feels alot like a scaled up QFG1 - its just alot more variety of stuff going on with each classes, more scope and variety (being able to travel to another world was a nice touch, I thought.) and there was alot more of an RPG feel to it (getting closer to what we got in QG4 and 5 in that respect, but still in a QFG style format.) The combat system and other details reminded me alot of the QFG2 remake, which is also not a bad thing.

Also got myself a flaming sword. Neato :D

Also given the sheer number of items in the game I'm surprised there's only one shield.

One downside: I was not quite as impressed with the skills as I was hoping. Some were quite useful routinely (like climbing and animal ken) but others (like herbalism) I hardly ever used.
Executor32
Jedi Council Member
Location: In a Georgia courtroom, watching a spectacle unfold

Post by Executor32 »

Apologies for the slight necro, but Heroine's Quest is now available on Steam. Still free, of course.
どうして?お前が夜に自身お触れるから。
Long ago in a distant land, I, Aku, the shape-shifting Master of Darkness, unleashed an unspeakable evil,
but a foolish samurai warrior wielding a magic sword stepped forth to oppose me. Before the final blow
was struck, I tore open a portal in time and flung him into the future, where my evil is law! Now, the fool
seeks to return to the past, and undo the future that is Aku...
-Aku, Master of Masters, Deliverer of Darkness, Shogun of Sorrow