DayZ Standalone Alpha on Steam

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Re: DayZ Standalone Alpha on Steam

Post by LaCroix »

Broken wrote:It's not quite full loot. Shooting someone in the chest ruins their shirt/vest and randomly damages some items in their backpack.
Really? The game just won a lot of points with me. Seems like it just earned itself a place on my drive.
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

I do archery skeet. With a Trebuchet.
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

Books you can loot. And read the full text of in-game.

Huh. That's... Actually kind of cool.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
Phillip Hone
Padawan Learner

Post by Phillip Hone »

I'm getting the impression that the zombies in this game aren't usually that much of a threat, and that mostly you just wander around and worry about other players? Is that more or less accurate?

If so, that's disappointing. A gigantic map, perma-death free for all mostly just sounds boring to me. The zombies should be enough of a threat that although it makes sense to back-stab people from time to time to take their stuff, it also makes sense to keep them a live, at least for a while, simply because the zombies might kill you otherwise. Correct me if I'm if what I'm describing is actually the case.

Back-stabbing games work back best when the back-stabs aren't usually anticipated.
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

They are pretty dangerous when you spawn, as most of the early weapons are damn near useless.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

Zombies do have a vital role in game.
Post spawn, you usually have not much worth called 'weapon', and if you have a gun, you don't have much ammo - so shooting one zombie and attracting ten more is a bad idea - they basically force you to abandon loot raids and run through the woods, usually already wounded, and bleeding for a long time to loose them. You can try doing the silent approach, but there's no guarantee you won't attract them. And once they swarm you, the'll take you down pretty fast, if you don't have automatics on you. People in full gear have been taken down by them because of a badly timed shot fired (Hospital window, I'm looking at you) without knowing ten Zombies were just around the corners.

So in later game, they act as a ammo sink (you will need to clear an area before looting, as they might attack you while picking up gear) and an active deterrent - you may be able to shoot a player, but doing so will call a lot of them to your position, causing you troubles on top of giving it away for retribution of the target or its friends. I've had more than one occasion I'd have a very good LOS on a player, but too many Zeds circling me to fire at the perfect moment.

Also, they act as a pretty good indicator for player presence - if you scout a town and see Zombies while you are still 400m away, you know that someone has spawned them (or "lured them out of their hiding/resting spots" as it is rationalized in-game). so you know that there is someone in town or nearby. Same for you - if you enter a town, you know that they give your position away to anyone passing by or watching, increasing the need to hurry and general paranoia.
A minute's thought suggests that the very idea of this is stupid. A more detailed examination raises the possibility that it might be an answer to the question "how could the Germans win the war after the US gets involved?" - Captain Seafort, in a thread proposing a 1942 'D-Day' in Quiberon Bay

Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

Zombies are no longer player dependent. They are generated and maintained by the server. Zombies in towns do not mean there are other players.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
LaCroix
Sith Acolyte

Post by LaCroix »

Alyeska wrote:Zombies are no longer player dependent. They are generated and maintained by the server. Zombies in towns do not mean there are other players.
Ok, that's it, I must buy the game, now...

Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Did they update the standalone yet so that the zombies respawn once killed off, instead of only coming back when the server restarts the game?
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

Sea Skimmer wrote:Did they update the standalone yet so that the zombies respawn once killed off, instead of only coming back when the server restarts the game?
Not yet. They are working on respawning zombies and loot.
"If the facts are on your side, pound on the facts. If the law is on your side, pound on the law. If neither is on your side, pound on the table."

"The captain claimed our people violated a 4,000 year old treaty forbidding us to develop hyperspace technology. Extermination of our planet was the consequence. The subject did not survive interrogation."
Replicant
Padawan Learner

Post by Replicant »

Right now loot and zombies only reset on reboot, though the last few patches have added some new weapons. The SKS is a nice rifle but the ammo is fairly rare. Its superior to the Mosen in that it holds 10 rounds at a time instead of 5.

They have added a login timer to reduce server hopping but the game is still 100% KoS even on servers that frown on it.

I have died fully kited to someone coming around the corner and I have died within 5 minutes of spawning with barely any gear because I ran into someone that found a shotgun and a few shells.

Zombies are not a threat once you have a fire ax or any firearm. They do not spawn due to shooting but you will attract any in the area with noise. Right now I find that zombies are a good thing. If I see a bunch of zombies then I know no players have been in the area to loot.

The biggest problem right now is that it seems the latest patch has removed the zombies ability to hurt you. They hit you, your vision blurs but you never bleed. So other players are the only threat at all. Oh and lag, I had a lag spike walk me off the top of the police station right after I had found a pristine M4 with ACOG sight.
The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Vortex Empire »

Replicant wrote: They have added a login timer to reduce server hopping but the game is still 100% KoS even on servers that frown on it.
What do you guys think are some ways they could fix this, anyway? I've pretty much had to start killing people on sight myself because if I don't, I get killed on sight.
Replicant
Padawan Learner

Post by Replicant »

The Vortex Empire wrote:
Replicant wrote: They have added a login timer to reduce server hopping but the game is still 100% KoS even on servers that frown on it.
What do you guys think are some ways they could fix this, anyway? I've pretty much had to start killing people on sight myself because if I don't, I get killed on sight.
One partial solution in the DayZ Mod was that murders got a bandit skin for their character so you stand out like a sore thumb.

They need to add this back into DayZ Standalone and make sure that a player does not lose any Karma if they shoot a bandit. I am sure they will also add safe zones to the games that you could easily set so that bandits cannot enter them.

The biggest problem is if you are going for a super realistic game then this really cuts into it.
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Am I the only one still playing this?

So, just now, I was on a server that had 3 people on it. I was walking up to the base south of NWAF, saw that all the barracks doors were empty. Sat by the wall and I noticed a guy walking out. I decided to change up my play style a bit by calling out to him. Dude turned out to be East European or something, when I tried text chat it wasn't much better because it was in Cyrillic.

Anyway, he wanted me to follow him to the NWAF. What the hey, this might be interesting. Nevermind that this is obviously a trap and the only two other people on the server have the same clan tags. We got up to Vybor, I stopped to drink a canteen by a warehouse, he stopped to. I used the 3PP view to see his buddy walking along the warehouse wall with his pistol drawn. Right as he rounded the corner I stepped back into the warehouse and he shot his buddy instead of me. Took off running, dude managed to nick me. His buddy was screaming "FUCK YOU FUCK YOU" in his Russki accent. Rounded a factory, crawled up a ladder, and bandaged myself while lying prone on the roof. I could see the buddy with the pistol moving around below me, and eventually he ran back to the warehouse, either to loot his buddy's corpse or make sure I hadn't turned around to finish him off if he was still alive. Decided to log out at that point.

Freakin' PEOPLE man.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Oskuro
Sith Devotee

Post by Oskuro »

Sucks, but still a pretty nice experience once you think about it. :)
unsigned
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

Replicant wrote:
The Vortex Empire wrote:
One partial solution in the DayZ Mod was that murders got a bandit skin for their character so you stand out like a sore thumb.

They need to add this back into DayZ Standalone and make sure that a player does not lose any Karma if they shoot a bandit. I am sure they will also add safe zones to the games that you could easily set so that bandits cannot enter them.

The biggest problem is if you are going for a super realistic game then this really cuts into it.
They are exploring their options with the morality and karma system. Right now the clothing system makes the old morality system with bandit skins impossible unless they restrict bandits clothing choices.

Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Played the game since the patch out on Wednesday?

The Zombies are about 10x the trouble they were before. They respawn now(although I'm not too sure if it's every few minutes or after they were killed), insta-bleed when they hit you, and you have to put the axe up before you swing, meaning you can't swing/dodge/weave like before. And they can see you from 1000ft away, it seems, while still having that clipping bug. NWAF was more trouble then it should have been, went through a lot of .357mag and 7.62x39mm. When they increase the total numbers eventually I'm going to go ahead and predict that major cities are going to require teams in order to survive in.

Glad to see that the Quonset hut-barracks in the military areas are spawning loot now, although they haven't fixed the "no loot in tents" problem.
Alyeska
Federation Ambassador

Post by Alyeska »

Zombie vision is real hit or miss. I was getting within 20 feet and some didn't see me. Right now melee weapons and the silenced 22 pistol are the way to go to avoid alerting zombies. If you must fire your primary, fire and maneuver. Zombies agro to the location of the weapons fire. Only if you remain in this zone will they agro onto you.

Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Problem is that they respawn within 10 seconds and usually within 100 meters of you. If you're at the edge of town they may spawn in a field and have straight line of sight...or if you're at a airfield essentially they can always see you when they spawn.
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Any of you guys playing the Breaking Point mod for ARMA3?