Noob trying to build a PC

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

MrDakka
Padawan Learner

Noob trying to build a PC

Post by MrDakka »

I'm putting together a PC with roughly $1000 budget and this is what I came up with: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/MrDakka/saved/2WS7

As a complete noob about to put together his first PC, I thought I'd run this by you guys. My biggest worry is incompatible parts, even though I picked the parts with the compatibility filter on.

I also checked each components specifications to makes sure that everything would fit to the best of my knowledge. However, I'd appreciate it if you guys would double check to see if I made any glaring mistakes. Also any feedback and advice would be welcome. Thanks
Needs moar dakka
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Re: Noob trying to build a PC

Post by Mr Bean »

MrDakka wrote:I'm putting together a PC with roughly $1000 budget and this is what I came up with: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/MrDakka/saved/2WS7

As a complete noob about to put together his first PC, I thought I'd run this by you guys. My biggest worry is incompatible parts, even though I picked the parts with the compatibility filter on.

I also checked each components specifications to makes sure that everything would fit to the best of my knowledge. However, I'd appreciate it if you guys would double check to see if I made any glaring mistakes. Also any feedback and advice would be welcome. Thanks
Okay I'm looking over it now.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Okay with that CPU and that heaksink combo I'm not a fan
Also EVGA power supplies vary widely in quality even among the same model. Some models are pure crap because they subcontract those out to a rotating set of assemblers and producers. The general conciseness over time I've run into is that EVGA video cards are great, but everything else is iffy, could be good or could be Lexus IE your paying money for the name not extra quality.

Also AMD at 200$ is not exactly a quality choice considering a 3570k can be purchased for 200$ as well and motherboards for Intel CPU can be cheaper with that same feature set you wanted. But there is a AMD FX-8320 which is a 3.5 that OC to 4ghz rather than a 4ghtz that OC to 4.2 ghz for a 70$ savings. I've seen them for 120$-130$, use that extra 70$ to upgrade the other HD to a 2 TB for 69$ and that Nvidia 760 to a 770 which are on same for 300$ today.

Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
MrDakka
Padawan Learner

Post by MrDakka »

Thanks for the quick feedback.

I didn't know that about EVGA PSU so I'll look for another PSU. As for the hard drive I'm not too worried about the capacity since I have a 1TB external. I'll also check out the 8320/GTX770 combo.

And whats wrong with the CPU cooler?
Needs moar dakka
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

MrDakka wrote:Thanks for the quick feedback.

I didn't know that about EVGA PSU so I'll look for another PSU. As for the hard drive I'm not too worried about the capacity since I have a 1TB external. I'll also check out the 8320/GTX770 combo.

And whats wrong with the CPU cooler?
It's more of a compact media center cooler designed for quietness and size rather than cooling capacity. Note I am biased in this regards as I've been watercooling for five years now, I love the all in one kits that Corsair and other companies sell for 50$-70$ which is a price premium but the better performance and ultra quiet nature of them leave me unable to go pure cool air cooling these days.

MrDakka
Padawan Learner

Post by MrDakka »

I would like a water cooler, but my fear is that I'll screw up and leak coolant everywhere. Here's the update build: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/MrDakka/saved/2YuH

Picked the FX8320/GTX770 combo, switched PSU manufacturer to Thermaltake (are they a better quality than EVGA? If not, would you mind recommending some), and picked up a CPU fan with a max of 82CFM. I'll stick with air cooling for this PC, maybe the next one I build will have water cooling. :D

I'm going to check out an intel build next and then we'll see which is cheaper.
Needs moar dakka
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Here is what I'm talking about
Just need a case fan spot to hang the 120mm fan somewhere close to the CPU, they are dead easy to install and everything is sealed. I've yet to have one leak on me, since it's all sealed you don't have to top off levels or the like.

As for PS, it varies depending on model and manufacturer, Thermaltake make good power supplies and okay power supplies

MrDakka
Padawan Learner

Post by MrDakka »

ARGHH! $30 more and I can get it :banghead:

Here's an update. The only components that are different are the processor/mobo/videocard combinations.

Intel Build 1: i5-3570K/GTX770/ASRock Z77 Extreme3 = $1051.05
Intel Build 2: i5-3570k/GTX760/ASRock Z77 Extreme3 = $988.05

AMD Build 1: FX8350/GTX760/Asus M5A99FX Pro R2.0 = $998.06
AMD Build 2: FX8320/GTX770/Asus M5A99FX Pro R2.0= $1011.35

Everything but the first option is viable. Maybe if I dump the SSD, I can splurge a bit more...
Needs moar dakka
Napoleon the Clown
Jedi Council Member

Post by Napoleon the Clown »

To be entirely honest, a eight-core is overkill. I'm running a quad-core at 3 ghz and it gives me plenty of performance. You can pick up a newer AMD quad-core for less than $160, probably, and it will be able to keep up with anything you throw at it within reason. Keep in mind that benchmarks quickly slow down in growth. When $60 is only giving you a 3% difference, if that, in benchmarks you're likely better off putting the money elsewhere. 4 cores at 4 ghz is gonna be plenty for any game that's going to be released in the next five years, most likely. If you don't give a shit about spending a bunch extra, might as well just go with the i5. It'll run cooler than the AMD, for one. A quick search of benchmarks for the FX8350 show that it probably has higher benchmarks than the i5, but you wouldn't notice the difference. Personally, I go with AMD because I can get something that will be up to my needs for less than I'd spend with an Intel. Every time I've looked at benchmarks, the amount you spend to get enough change to be perceptible without tools to measure it is large.

Example of something that would probably make you very happy and save you $80: FX-4350

If this is a gaming rig, remember that games are currently more GPU intensive than CPU intensive. You've gotta be doing some pretty absurd stuff to justify a $200 processor.
Sig images are for people who aren't fucking lazy.