Need help choosing a joystick.

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Need help choosing a joystick.

Post by Enigma »

I'm looking to get a joystick as the one I have now (Logitech Attack 3) is suffering a severe case calibration failure (won't go all the way to the right and the throttle doesn't go past 81% in calibration. Plus at times the throttle is activated despite not touching it).

I'd like to get a cheap reliable joystick. I've recently reinstalled Independence War 2 and needed a joystick to play. Playing it with the Attack 3 made my character seem like he had severe brain damage.

Any recommendations?
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Executor32
Jedi Council Member
Location: In a Georgia courtroom, watching a spectacle unfold

Re: Need help choosing a joystick.

Post by Executor32 »

I have a Logitech Wingman Extreme 3D Pro, it's always been reliable for me. MSRP is $30, but you can probably get it for less, depending on where you look.
どうして?お前が夜に自身お触れるから。
Long ago in a distant land, I, Aku, the shape-shifting Master of Darkness, unleashed an unspeakable evil,
but a foolish samurai warrior wielding a magic sword stepped forth to oppose me. Before the final blow
was struck, I tore open a portal in time and flung him into the future, where my evil is law! Now, the fool
seeks to return to the past, and undo the future that is Aku...
-Aku, Master of Masters, Deliverer of Darkness, Shogun of Sorrow
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Executor32 wrote:I have a Logitech Wingman Extreme 3D Pro, it's always been reliable for me. MSRP is $30, but you can probably get it for less, depending on where you look.
Been reading reviews on it and they seem to fail easily. I'm going to stay away from Logitech.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Forgothrax
Padawan Learner

Post by Forgothrax »

I have a Saitek X52 stick/throttle combo. HOTAS-style makes everything much better. Excellent quality and works well for me.
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Forgothrax wrote:I have a Saitek X52 stick/throttle combo. HOTAS-style makes everything much better. Excellent quality and works well for me.
Except the part that it isn't cheap. I'm not going to spend over $100 on a joystick.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

ASSCRAVATS!
Marko Dash
Jedi Knight

Post by Marko Dash »

saitek AV8R about 20 bucks, cheap and plasticy, mine lasted until it fell off the desk and broke it's neck. i liked the four 3-position switches on the base and the dual throttle really helped for flying helos (i'd set one as throttle and the other as collective). even the cheesy little red flip cover button on the stick made a perfect weapons release.

i'm currently using the same logitech that Executor32 mentioned. never had any trouble with it, it's a lot heavier and more solidly built than the cheap saitek. it has a lot of buttons but it only has a single throttle axis.
If a black-hawk flies over a light show and is not harmed, does that make it immune to lasers?
Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

Post by Brother-Captain Gaius »

Same Logitech here too. Used it for years with no problems.
Agitated asshole | (Ex)40K Nut | Metalhead
The vision never dies; life's a never-ending wheel
1337 posts as of 16:34 GMT-7 June 2nd, 2003

"'He or she' is an agenderphobic microaggression, Sharon. You are a bigot." ― Randy Marsh
Wing Commander MAD
Jedi Knight

Post by Wing Commander MAD »

I'm glad you made this as I've been wandering the same thing in the back of my mind since GOG released some of the old space flight sims. How is the size of the Logitech, as I've got rather meaty paws, or so I've gathered since I found the original Xbox controller to be perfectly sized?

Considering this was the last joystick I bought, I'm a bit behind the times. Yes that plug is different looking kiddies, it plugged into what was called a game port, which could often be found on your sound card. See, back in the day to get anything more than system beeps you needed an expansion card. You do want to hear the awesome high quality MIDIs don't you? None of this new fangled USB or quality audio hardware integrated directly into the motherboard.

I may have just dated myself abit... :lol:
xthetenth
Jedi Master

Post by xthetenth »

I've got a Saitek ST 290 pro that's really awesome, but I think they aren't being made anymore. However, if you want durability, a Saitek like it would be a good bet because of the way its resistance is built. I've got no dead zone after five or so years, some of it playing a bunch of world of warplanes. The ones with a huge spring on the bottom seem to be resistant to anything short of extreme actions.

http://gadgets.softpedia.com/gadgetsIma ... -1686.html should have a nice big picture so you can see the spring setup I'm talking about.
Forgothrax
Padawan Learner

Post by Forgothrax »

Enigma wrote:
Forgothrax wrote:I have a Saitek X52 stick/throttle combo. HOTAS-style makes everything much better. Excellent quality and works well for me.
Except the part that it isn't cheap. I'm not going to spend over $100 on a joystick.
I paid $50 for mine used. New, yes, definitely out of the question.
Executor32
Jedi Council Member
Location: In a Georgia courtroom, watching a spectacle unfold

Post by Executor32 »

Size-wise, it's about the same as your old Extreme Digital, Wing Commander MAD. The base is a bit wider and flatter, but the stick is about the same thickness. It's got way more buttons, too (12, IIRC), and a twist axis for the rudder like the Extreme Digital 3D/Force 3D.
どうして?お前が夜に自身お触れるから。
Long ago in a distant land, I, Aku, the shape-shifting Master of Darkness, unleashed an unspeakable evil,
but a foolish samurai warrior wielding a magic sword stepped forth to oppose me. Before the final blow
was struck, I tore open a portal in time and flung him into the future, where my evil is law! Now, the fool
seeks to return to the past, and undo the future that is Aku...
-Aku, Master of Masters, Deliverer of Darkness, Shogun of Sorrow
Marko Dash
Jedi Knight

Post by Marko Dash »

yep 12, 11+trigger. four around the hat, the trigger and a button on the thumbrest, then six on the base to the left of the stick (i never use those).
If a black-hawk flies over a light show and is not harmed, does that make it immune to lasers?