Netbook Keyboard FUBAR'd And I Don't Know Why

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Netbook Keyboard FUBAR'd And I Don't Know Why

Post by Zaune »

So, a little while back my laptop's keyboard got a fair amount of water dumped on it. I dried it out with an airtight box with some rice in it, but the keyboard never really got better and would sometimes suddenly hold down the Q or S keys all by itself. I eventually disconnected it altogether and that solved the problem.

Aha, I thought to myself, I need a new keyboard. So I ordered a replacement from eBay, installed it... and it started randomly holding down the Space bar all by itself, which is even bloody worse. Arrrrrgh. It doesn't even make sense! I can't have knackered the motherboard, it wouldn't boot at all if I'd done that.

Any ideas?
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Re: Netbook Keyboard FUBAR'd And I Don't Know Why

Post by Borgholio »

Any dirt, crap, or water residue on the ribbon cable at either end?
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
TronPaul
Padawan Learner

Post by TronPaul »

You could also try removing the space key from the keyboard and cleaning the contact and reseating the key.
If it waddles like a duck and it quacks like a duck, it's a KV-5.
Vote Electron Standard, vote Tron Paul 2012
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

Borgholio wrote:Any dirt, crap, or water residue on the ribbon cable at either end?
It could be that, though how I'd go about cleaning it I'm not sure; maybe we've got a paintbrush the right size somewhere...
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

I Have A Blog
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

Well, scrubbing out the little slot where the end of the ribbon cable goes didn't help. Am I going to have to take the whole thing apart?

-- fgalkin

I Have A Blog