Pokemon X/Y - This Time It's...Mega?

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Dartzap
Sith Acolyte

Pokemon X/Y - This Time It's...Mega?

Post by Dartzap »

Anyone else got started on this gen yet?

Got my copy on Friday, as some stores were breaking the embargo early. The obvious changes are the switch over to 3d, which makes the region look vastly more 'alive' than the previous ones. Very similar graphical style to the old Stadium/Coliseum games, with the mons physically moving to make an attack, faint animations etc.

Some highlights/lowlights for me, most of which are small in the grand scheme of things.

1) Graphics wise: Conversion to 3d lets the artists go wild in the design department, makes the region feel much larger

2)Plot wise..... not much of one, which is a shame as the previous two games did well in this aspect. Mostly there to explain why your Charizard looks like its caught a rattata in its throat and turned blue.

3)The length between events such as the gyms has been extended - took me four hours to get from the 1st to the 2nd, and I wasn't exactly catching everything on each route. Adds to the 'larger region' feeling

4) EXP All is back, which is redonkulously overpowered, By the time I hit the E4, all my team was at the mid-60's, and that was with some team changes. (How many fire and fighting types can there be?!)

5)'Small' selection of new critters - around 60, due to the new 'Mega Evolutions' coming in, with the usual mix of 'Will never be used' and 'will be on everyones team' but also around 500 critters in game, gives you options. Also includes the Kanto starters that you get very early on.

6)The ability to sit on benches, bending down to talk to smaller creatures/children, reflections in mirrors.

I smashed my way through the E4 and Champion last night, didn't need any particular grinding for it due to the Exp All being on, uh, all the time. Just hunting for some post game at the moment.

Over all, I;d give it 8.5/10. Definitely a great start to the 3d stuff thats sure to come, but the lack of a decent story lets it down a fair bit.
EBC: Northeners, Huh! What are they good for?! Absolutely nothing! :P

Cybertron, Justice league...MM, HAB SDN City Watch: Sergeant Detritus

Days Unstabbed, Unabused, Unassualted and Unwavedatwithabutchersknife: 0
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Re: Pokemon X/Y - This Time It's...Mega?

Post by Iroscato »

I appreciate this is a thread necro, but I downloaded X a couple of days ago...and so far it's turning out to be my favourite Pokemon game yet, knocking Emerald off of it's long-held perch. Lots and lots of mostly little things have been tweaked and improved, almost all of them for the better, and it all comes together extremely nicely. The fact that there's relatively few new Pokemon is barely noticeable- you get Pokemon from every other generation so far all over the place, and overall it does feel like it celebrates the rich history of the Pokemon franchise. The music is excellent, the graphical overhaul is fantastic, and the online trading system is very useful and streamlined.
If anyone would like to add me as a friend for trading (and perhaps battling when I get there) my friend code is 4355-9668-1396.
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Haruko
Jedi Master

Post by Haruko »

Chimaera wrote:If anyone would like to add me as a friend for trading (and perhaps battling when I get there) my friend code is 4355-9668-1396.
I am interested in trading. Just added your code. Mine is 4313-1249-5334.

Not sure if much of what I have would interest you. I am not one of those guys who have much dabbled in "breeding" and "shinies" and all that other "advanced" stuff I hear some Pokemon X players talk about, though I should have more Pokemon for trade when I bring over the ones from Diamond and White 2 (already transferred from Diamond to White 2, and imagining I can just use the trial version of Pokemon Bank and Transporter for a one-time transfer from White 2 to X).
If The Infinity Program were not a forum, it would be a pie-in-the-sky project.
Faith is both the prison and the open hand.”— Vienna Teng, "Augustine."
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Haruko wrote:
Chimaera wrote:If anyone would like to add me as a friend for trading (and perhaps battling when I get there) my friend code is 4355-9668-1396.
I am interested in trading. Just added your code. Mine is 4313-1249-5334.

Not sure if much of what I have would interest you. I am not one of those guys who have much dabbled in "breeding" and "shinies" and all that other "advanced" stuff I hear some Pokemon X players talk about, though I should have more Pokemon for trade when I bring over the ones from Diamond and White 2 (already transferred from Diamond to White 2, and imagining I can just use the trial version of Pokemon Bank and Transporter for a one-time transfer from White 2 to X).
I will add you as soon as I retrieve my 3DS from my girlfriend's ;).
I'm also not interested in shinies or ev training so no worries there. But what excites me is the way the gts system is built....this is maybe the first time I can give completing the Pokedex a proper stab.
I also am itching for some battles now as my main heavy hitting team has been assembled :D
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Haruko
Jedi Master

Post by Haruko »

I wonder if there is a way to chat in-game during trading because I don't know what kind of Pokemon people want except for the obvious legendaries (seems everyone wants the same five Pokemon in GTS; a Bunnelby for Moltres? Seriously?)
If The Infinity Program were not a forum, it would be a pie-in-the-sky project.
Faith is both the prison and the open hand.”— Vienna Teng, "Augustine."
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Haruko wrote:I wonder if there is a way to chat in-game during trading because I don't know what kind of Pokemon people want except for the obvious legendaries (seems everyone wants the same five Pokemon in GTS; a Bunnelby for Moltres? Seriously?)
Well there is voice chat, but no IM system. Never actually used the voice chat as I prefer playing in a dark, silent room :P
And there is a flipside to the GTS system- you can just drop in a Pokemon, specify which one you want for it and leave it overnight- better than just searching through hundreds of unreasonable demands.

- Raw Shark

- SirNitram (RIP)