Free MMORPG questions

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Free MMORPG questions

Post by mr friendly guy »

Ok, I have never played an MMORPG before, but I do have a steam account, which I mainly use to play Duel of the Planeswalkers.

While looking for rpg games to try I have come across free MMORPGs. My question is, how do they make money? Am I expected to purchase gear to be competitive in the environment etc?
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Forgothrax
Padawan Learner

Re: Free MMORPG questions

Post by Forgothrax »

Depends on the MMO. Some are pay-to-win like you stated. Others are more balanced so free play is possible, but buying stuff is helpful.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

If they aren't pay to win, they usually sell a combination of cosmetic items and things like xp boosts which, while they don't allow you to reach stats above that of a player who doesn't buy them, do allow you to reach max stats faster.

Some look free to play at first glance, but lock off content until you pay.

[url=http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/RaminSho ... 94933/Some have very nasty ways to trick you out of your money[/url].
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

Some, like the otherwise kind of awesome Wurm Online, require you to subscribe and spend significant real-life money to have any actual fun.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Eve online is pay to play, but you can spend in-game currency to practically play for free. They make their money because the game time is actually paid for by someone else and placed on the in-game market for you to buy.

DDO works by giving you a decent game for free and makes money by selling access to dungeons and quests. You can buy piecemeal or pay a monthly fee for full access.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

If you want a run down of a few different games ChaosD1 does a series called MMO Grinder that looks at free to play games.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Borgholio wrote:Eve online is pay to play, but you can spend in-game currency to practically play for free. They make their money because the game time is actually paid for by someone else and placed on the in-game market for you to buy.
I've repeatedly heard that getting enough in-game currency to pay for your first month within a 21 day trial is difficult. The second month is much easier, though I prefer to just pay the subscription.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

bilateralrope wrote:
Borgholio wrote:Eve online is pay to play, but you can spend in-game currency to practically play for free. They make their money because the game time is actually paid for by someone else and placed on the in-game market for you to buy.
I've repeatedly heard that getting enough in-game currency to pay for your first month within a 21 day trial is difficult. The second month is much easier, though I prefer to just pay the subscription.
Yeah that is true. You need to have a decent income to afford it. But still, EVE is worth paying for.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Highlord Laan
Jedi Master
Location: Christo-fundie Theofascist Dominion of Nebraskistan

Post by Highlord Laan »

Guild Wars 2 costs $60.00 at start to buy the game, but afterwards is completely free. There's a cash shop to get cosmetic items, XP, gold and Karma boosters that last an hour a pop, and other things like pets and packs of armor dyes and skins.

It's also fun as hell.
Never underestimate the ingenuity and cruelty of the Irish.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

I agree with GW 2 sure there's a cash shop but you can get to lvl 80 and get decent gear without using a single cent (euro or US) of your money after the initial game.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Serafina
Sith Acolyte

Post by Serafina »

You can convert in-game currency into cash-store currency, or vice versa, in GW 2. So even getting the cosmetic items doesn't require any cash.

If you're looking for a non-subscription MMO, GW 2 is by far your best option, since all content is freely accessible without any real-money spending, and its really well done to boot.
SoS:NBA GALE Force
"Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent." - Sir Nitram
"The world owes you nothing but painful lessons" - CaptainChewbacca
"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one." - Wilhelm Stekel
"In 1969 it was easier to send a man to the Moon than to have the public accept a homosexual" - Broomstick

Divine Administration - of Gods and Bureaucracy (Worm/Exalted)
StarSword
Jedi Knight

Post by StarSword »

I've been playing a lot of Star Trek Online recently. They've got both F2P and subscription memberships available. Subscribers get access to a few perks free-to-players don't (a few missions, costume pieces, a unique ship per faction, and a monthly stipend of zen, the real money currency) but for the most part there's not really much difference. It's also possible, though very time-consuming, to play completely free since you can exchange one currency earnable in-game (refined dilithium) for zen (value fluctuates on a currency exchange market; right now it's sitting at about 135 dilithium for 1 zen).

They make most of their money off of people buying zen to purchase lockbox keys and mass quantities of dilithium for fleet projects.
Star Carrier by Ian Douglas: Analysis and Talkback

The Vortex Empire: I think the real question is obviously how a supervolcano eruption wiping out vast swathes of the country would affect the 2016 election.
Borgholio: The GOP would blame Obama and use the subsequent nuclear winter to debunk global warming.