looking for a tablet

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

dragon
Sith Marauder

looking for a tablet

Post by dragon »

Been thinking of buying a new tablet as mine is a bit old orginal IPAD. I've been thinking about the new Windows surfacr RT or wait a few months for the new IPAD. I know there are some other options out there but I know next to nothing about them. Does anyone have any experience with the various systems.
"There are very few problems that cannot be solved by the suitable application of photon torpedoes
dragon
Sith Marauder

Re: looking for a tablet

Post by dragon »

could a mod move please wasn't paying attention
"There are very few problems that cannot be solved by the suitable application of photon torpedoes
Melchior
Jedi Master

Post by Melchior »

What do you want to do with it? The 2013 Nexus 7 is great, or you could wait a few weeks for the iPad lineup refresh.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

What's your budget? I was looking at the Surface RT myself, but once I dug deeper into it I found the RT models won't run traditional Windows apps; you'll have to fork over more cash on Surface Pro for that. The Nexus 7 is your best bet in terms of battery life/$$$ value, but knowing what you want to do with it would help.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
dragon
Sith Marauder

Post by dragon »

Mostly for reading, games and the occasional financial app
as for budget I'm pretty open ended
Melchior
Jedi Master

Post by Melchior »

dragon wrote:Mostly for reading, games and the occasional financial app
as for budget I'm pretty open ended
Do you prefer 10 inch or 7-8inch tablets?
The RT ecosystem has a dubious future and you probably don't want to buy a Surface Pro; I would wait for the iPad refresh and see if the new iPad Mini is compelling.
Esquire
Jedi Council Member

Post by Esquire »

Melchior wrote:The 2013 Nexus 7 is great
Seconded. I'm writing this on one, and it's been great all through the 6-7 months I've had it.
“Heroes are heroes because they are heroic in behavior, not because they won or lost.” Nassim Nicholas Taleb
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Moved
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

Melchior wrote:The RT ecosystem has a dubious future and you probably don't want to buy a Surface Pro
The (upcoming) Surface Pro 2 is actually quite a good machine for light PC gaming, unsurprising as the spec is essentially an ultrabook. So the question is, do you want to play Android games or Windows games. I have a Win 7 tablet at the moment because I need to run Visual Studio and assorted Windows fat client apps - I am thinking of getting an SP2 as I could then retire my old 17" laptop entirely. Mobile internet has improved enough that I can reliably connect to servers for demos, but not enough that I could just get a cheap Android tablet and develop via remote desktop.
dragon
Sith Marauder

Post by dragon »

Starglider wrote:
Melchior wrote:The RT ecosystem has a dubious future and you probably don't want to buy a Surface Pro
The (upcoming) Surface Pro 2 is actually quite a good machine for light PC gaming, unsurprising as the spec is essentially an ultrabook. So the question is, do you want to play Android games or Windows games. I have a Win 7 tablet at the moment because I need to run Visual Studio and assorted Windows fat client apps - I am thinking of getting an SP2 as I could then retire my old 17" laptop entirely. Mobile internet has improved enough that I can reliably connect to servers for demos, but not enough that I could just get a cheap Android tablet and develop via remote desktop.
Not sure which is better windows gaming or Android games as I never really played any android ones.
Forgothrax
Padawan Learner

Post by Forgothrax »

I would say:

-If you like what you have and simply want to upgrade the hardware, and don't mind paying the price: new iPad.

-If price is a consideration and you don't mind switching OS to Android, the Nexus and Galaxy Tabs are excellent tablets.

-If you want more capabilities, a Win7 tablet (full featured) is indicated.

If you swap OSes, you may want to check first to see which of your apps are available on Android. Many of the popular iOS ones are, but if there's a must-have app on iOS that Android does not have that will probably affect your decision.
Melchior
Jedi Master

Post by Melchior »

dragon wrote:Not sure which is better windows gaming or Android games as I never really played any android ones.
Windows gaming.
Chardok
GET THE FUCK OFF MY OBSTACLE!

Post by Chardok »

I have found the Nabi 2 to be both capable and easy to use.

Also Ricky can use it when I'm not.