Rome 2 Total War

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

Re: Rome 2 Total War

Post by The Vortex Empire »

God, defending towns without walls is a mess due to the stupid capture points. I could try to actually use the streets and terrain to pick a good spot to defend, say the hill in the middle of town with only one path up, but nope, do that and they just sit in the marketplace and you're forced to attack their superior numbers. Instead, you're forced to meet them head on as they attack from multiple sides. How does capturing a marketplace grant you control of the settlement in the first place?
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

Just pretend the marketplace is your city's granary. If they control the food supply of the city, your army will surrender.
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
Titan Uranus
Padawan Learner

Post by Titan Uranus »

Typically objectives like that make a game more challenging or interesting, but here it seems like that was their starting point, but it somehow got expanded to covering for the AI's ineptitude.
Dominus Atheos
Sith Marauder

Post by Dominus Atheos »

Something that pisses me off, defensive garrisoned troops rout now. Where are they running to? It's their home, their families; and they are inside walls, it made sense that they would fight to the last man.

At the very least garrison troops should get a huge moral boost to reflect those factors.
GuppyShark
Sith Devotee

Post by GuppyShark »

I find the object points in open field battles more disconcerting than in a siege.

Why do I lose if the enemy is over in some un-noteworthy spot when my troops hold the high ground and an artillery advantage?
The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Vortex Empire »

I wouldn't mind it if you could just, you know, disable them.
Esquire
Jedi Council Member

Post by Esquire »

I'm surprised there isn't already a mod for that. Does anybody know why they stuck the things in to begin with?
“Heroes are heroes because they are heroic in behavior, not because they won or lost.” Nassim Nicholas Taleb
Flameblade
Youngling

Post by Flameblade »

To obscure that their AI simply doesn't work.
"Saying science is retarded on the internet is like dissing oxygen out loud." --- Rye
The plural of anecdote is not data and the plural of datum is not proof.
The act of burning up in the Earth's atmosphere is simply your body's effort to dispute the Earth's insistence that you travel at the same speed. The ground is the Earth's closing argument.
Esquire
Jedi Council Member

Post by Esquire »

So they gave it an extra objective to juggle?
“Heroes are heroes because they are heroic in behavior, not because they won or lost.” Nassim Nicholas Taleb
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

Dominus Atheos wrote:Something that pisses me off, defensive garrisoned troops rout now. Where are they running to? It's their home, their families; and they are inside walls, it made sense that they would fight to the last man.

At the very least garrison troops should get a huge moral boost to reflect those factors.
Do they get the magic "city square restores morale" thing from going somewhere, or do they just stay broken? Because I could see that, if you're just so overwhelming, that the defenders do give up because hoping for a conqueror's mercy is better than dying in battle, especially if you're some peasant or levy militiaman.
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
Dominus Atheos
Sith Marauder

Post by Dominus Atheos »

No, they get like 20% casualties and then attempt to run out of the city gates, even if the overall battle is in your favor.
AniThyng
Sith Devotee

Post by AniThyng »

I kind of wish I could "release" regions as client states after the fact. There's some backwater barbarian shitholes on the edges of the empire I have no desire to directly administer that I would love to merely indirectly control. I also have a chunk of Egypt that I want to give back to the Egyptians but I can't do that. :(

Aside from that, after patch 5 I'm actually warming up to this game. ROMA VICTOR! (I don't care that's not the correct grammar). I also like the ability to change my mind on some buildings, and not be permanantly screwed by decisions I made 70 turns beforehand.

Training fields being only buildable in capitals is a wtf though. I liked having a field of mars in Rome, dammit. Now i have to juggle and move it to arminum or whatever. Not a big deal since the funtional effect on my recruiting is the same, but flavor, FLAVOR.
I do know how to spell
AniThyng is merely the name I gave to what became my favourite Baldur's Gate II mage character :P
Dominus Atheos
Sith Marauder

Post by Dominus Atheos »

Question to anyone, what is your order of battle? IE what units make up your full stack armies?

I do 4 heavy infantry, 4 heavy cavalry, 2 spearmen, and 8 war dogs, since I mostly fight Celts who just spam light infantry. And the general of course.
Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

Post by Brother-Captain Gaius »

Right now my average legion is:

Veteran Legionaries (General) + 4 Veteran Legionaries, 7 Legionaries, 3 Velites, 2 Equites, 3 "wild" (+2 Equites, +2-3 local flavor auxilia, +2-3 Praetorians, etc)

Previously:

Triarii (General) + 2-4 Triarii, 3-5 Principes, 3-5 Hastati, 3 Velites, 2-4 Equites, various auxilia and socii

Have not yet gotten the top tier Roman military tech so not sure what I'll do yet, but I imagine the armored legionaries will just replace the regular (Republican) legionaries. I love the selectable general's unit, but I'm a bit annoyed you can't select Praetorians of all things. Which results in the odd spectacle of my general's unit being worse than the surrounding Praetorians. And I wish First Cohorts were a little better. Right now there's not much incentive to take a First Cohort instead of more Veterans. The morale buff doesn't really make up for Veterans' all-around better stats.

For my Brython game I haven't bothered with mil tech nearly as much, and I've been fine just spamming levy spearmen and slingers and zerging things to death.
Agitated asshole | (Ex)40K Nut | Metalhead
The vision never dies; life's a never-ending wheel
1337 posts as of 16:34 GMT-7 June 2nd, 2003

"'He or she' is an agenderphobic microaggression, Sharon. You are a bigot." ― Randy Marsh
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

AniThyng wrote:Aside from that, after patch 5 I'm actually warming up to this game. ROMA VICTOR! (I don't care that's not the correct grammar).
Roma victrix.

I mean, you complain about you not being able to have a field of mars, but don't care about the grammar? Jeez. It is not like victrix sounds any less badass than victor to boot.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
AniThyng
Sith Devotee

Post by AniThyng »

Yeah, point taken :D

In any case, my preference re: army composition is to have the following, based on my current 9 army allotment:

"garrison" armies, at least one army per "frontier" (so one in africa, one in spain, one in the alps and one in the adriatic) made up of a general with bonuses to civic or tax or building stuff made up of locally recruited auxilleries in a 6(infantry)-4(ranged)-2-4(cav)+1 or 2 imported artillery , then they'll go hunt down rebels and guard the borders or whatever. Gaul can get a legion once it's properly pacified and the field armies leave.

and field armies, made up of a core of 1 general, 1 first cohort, 5-6 legions (all recruited in italia to get the very best equipment and morale bonuses from the start), some velites and roman cavalry and artillery, then maybe puff them up with some auxilleries recruited from whatever frontier I send them to.

Of course that's the ideal, reality is i have whatever i could throw in at the time and ship them off :(

But i hope to be able to bring all the field legions back to rome once the current border is stabalized, then do a purge/standardization before sending them off again for the second round of conquest.
I do know how to spell
AniThyng is merely the name I gave to what became my favourite Baldur's Gate II mage character :P