World of Tanks Mark III

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

xthetenth
Jedi Master

World of Tanks Mark III

Post by xthetenth »

Split from here - Darth Wong

Oh god this game. 4323 damage in a T-34-1, six kills, confederate, sniper, steel wall, which is awesome except that I've had a goal of getting a round with top gun and confederate, and some bad pubbie jagdpanther on the other team got seven.

Also the T-34-1 is utterly amazing. It's a T20 that trades gun soft stats for the gun being punchier, workable armor and being able to take a corner.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Re: World of Tanks Mark 2

Post by Vendetta »

I've found that the T-34-1 has a great gun and not much else.

The armour is trash unless you get favourable angles on the target, I've had frontal penetrations from tier 5s on level ground (T1 heavies are a particular one to worry about, they're so tall they negate your front sloping at even reasonably close ranges). It also catches fire if you look at it funny, can catch fire from hits to the front due to taking fuel tank hits from the front.

The real problem I've been having with it though is that the moving dispersion is high, the aim time is high, and the gun depression is woeful, meaning you have to expose far too much to take shots. I've had no problem meeting its HP in damage even in tier 9 games, but it doesn't regularly carry because the gun is too unresponsive to take advantage of chances.

It's not even very fast, 40kmh on level ground.
xthetenth
Jedi Master

Post by xthetenth »

The armor isn't great when you're in the open, but it's really good for covering quick peeks (do those from stationary so you're almost aimed in), because that turret is so far front the front armor can be at a huge angle without showing much side. The turret's pretty excellent as well. Both of these are vastly better than the T20 eating every shell that hits it. I do better than 40 kph on level ground with good turning and acceleration, which works well for making the most of the good gun hard stats.
Xess
Jedi Knight

Post by Xess »

So I was playing my Type 59, and I, according to him, got an IS killed. We then went on to win the game but he was pissed. He proceeded to mock my stats for not being as high as his. Are people with high W/Rs usually assholes or is just the stat obsessed prima donas?
Image[
The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Vortex Empire »

In my experience there's no correlation, and some proportion of people are just extremely confident assholes who can do no wrong regardless of their stats. I can recall many times when I've had 43%ers behaving the exact same way.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

xthetenth wrote:The armor isn't great when you're in the open, but it's really good for covering quick peeks (do those from stationary so you're almost aimed in), because that turret is so far front the front armor can be at a huge angle without showing much side. The turret's pretty excellent as well. Both of these are vastly better than the T20 eating every shell that hits it. I do better than 40 kph on level ground with good turning and acceleration, which works well for making the most of the good gun hard stats.
I've really not found it living up to it's theoretical agility, though maybe I'm unfairly comparing it to the WZ-131 which appears basically to be the same tank but far better (with a vstab and much lighter and faster it can make better use of the same gun), and given how tier 7 is the gimp tier for MM the scout MM of the 131 isn't too much of a predicament..

It also doesn't catch fire nearly as much. I tink the 34-1's fire issues are caused by obscenely low module HP for the fuel tank meaning it gets taken out on hits and sets you on fire, because the fires aren't caused by engine hits, and I'm not even sure premium extinguishers would reduce that.

I expect I'm over the hump with the 34-1 though, I'm reasonably close to the 34-2 now, and I have found winning form in it eventually, it just took more effort than it should (at one point my winrate in it wouldn't go above 44%, despite the fact my tank specific stats were significantly above server average) and that affected my opinion of the tank.

I'm not sure where the 34-2 is going to go, the common wisdom appears to be to run it with the 122 as a hit and run alpha beast, we shall see.

I'll also see what changes when I get Sixth Sense on it, which I should be able to do this weekend as we're on double crew XP.
Marko Dash
Jedi Knight

Post by Marko Dash »

well, i am now down two tier six mediums, and up two tier 7 heavies. elited and sold my cromwell and bought the black prince, and also sold my vk3601 and bought a tiger h.

was building up creds for the tiger anyway, with the weekend 30% off bonus and selling the two meds gave me just enough to buy both, now i'm back to being broke. i free xp'ed the tigers turret, now just need the credits to mount the long 88 which i already had unlocked from the tiger p.

now if only i had enough credits to rebuy my T29, but that's not likely to happen.
If a black-hawk flies over a light show and is not harmed, does that make it immune to lasers?
Argosh
Jedi Knight

Post by Argosh »

Ok, so I've played this game for 4 days now. Any tips?
--
Don't make me use uppercase...
Vanas
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vanas »

Tips would kind of depend on what you're playing and which nation. I'd certainly suggest a quick look through here: http://wiki.worldoftanks.com/Tactics

That covers most of the basics, really.
According to wikipedia, "the Mohorovičić discontinuity is the boundary between the Earth's crust and the mantle."
According to Starbound, it's a problem solvable with enough combat drugs to turn you into the Incredible Hulk.
xthetenth
Jedi Master

Post by xthetenth »

Frenchies work best with game knowledge you don't have, us heavies as a line are pretty sweet except for the M3 Lee (the T110E5 line that is, the T57 line is also awesome but again requires game knowledge). Soviets are also mostly good but you can learn more from US tanks.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

The first two things you need to learn are:

How spotting works. Learn what you can see and why, learn who can see you and why.

How to shoot. Learn what you can hit at what ranges, learn to not stop and fire when you aren't going to hit.

I would aim for one of two tanks. Either the T49, which is the best tank to learn number 1. It lives on its vision control, learning how to shoot things without letting them see you to shoot back. Or the KV-1, which is a close range brawler and will let you barge in close and smash things, and will teach you all the good places to go for smashing and how to get to them first to get the best seats at the fight.
Argosh
Jedi Knight

Post by Argosh »

Ok, thanks. I've researched all the tier 1 tanks so far and some tier 2 & 3, concentrating on German tech.
--
Don't make me use uppercase...
Luke Starkiller
Jedi Knight

Post by Luke Starkiller »

Argosh wrote:Ok, thanks. I've researched all the tier 1 tanks so far and some tier 2 & 3, concentrating on German tech.

A word of warning, some of the tier 4 light tanks - in particular the Russian A-20 and German Pz38nA are considered scouts and will be matched up with up to tier 8's. Nothing in the game itself tells you this and it can come as a very nasty surprise.
What kind of dark wizard in league with nameless forces of primordial evil ARE you that you can't even make a successful sanity check versus BOREDOM? - Red Mage
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

Just a T95 by the side of a bridge, right?

Apparently, no, not just that.

"This is MT-25 to carrier, coming in for landing..."

It was pretty awesome. I only noticed it crash, though. In the moment I had thought it had jumped over one side of me and landed on the other.
Vanas
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vanas »

So, it turns out that the E-25 is a vicious little murder box. The gun's not stunning, but the fire rate is superlative and the TD is comically fast and tiny. It's liable to be a keeper if only because I don't have to worry about weakpoints.

Speed of a light, armour of a Crusader, firepower of a Panther. It's a strange little thing.
According to wikipedia, "the Mohorovičić discontinuity is the boundary between the Earth's crust and the mantle."
According to Starbound, it's a problem solvable with enough combat drugs to turn you into the Incredible Hulk.
The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

Vanas wrote:So, it turns out that the E-25 is a vicious little murder box. The gun's not stunning, but the fire rate is superlative and the TD is comically fast and tiny. It's liable to be a keeper if only because I don't have to worry about weakpoints.

Speed of a light, armour of a Crusader, firepower of a Panther. It's a strange little thing.
I can second that, and a TD that can scout is a strange thing. It feels like a better ELC AMX.
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Decided to jump in again after other games stole my time and the MT-25 rage is so delicious.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

So I get close to the 30 kills in a day pretty fast, tearing things up in the IS-2 and generally rocking faces, and then what happens?

I play like an absolute retard and it takes another 12 games to get four measly kills.

(Albeit on the last game I end up getting 3 kills and 2900 damage and Expert China for my trouble, which makes it all worthwhile).

And you know what really rubs it in? All those games where I potato hard and die for almost no good reason? Win all of them still, and end with a 72% winrate for the day.

MT-25 rage is only a placeholder until TD rage starts for real (Garbad is working himself up to froth about imba TDs as we speak). Also british arty rage because most of them have really high fire arcs and all the usual hide-from-sky-clicker spots don't work on them.
The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

Stock Centurion I is so bad.
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

6.7k damage bounced in my Black Prince, we lost but I still got the best loser mission.
Vanas
Jedi Council Member

Post by Vanas »

Let's see if this works. In this game I encountered a pair of platooned hostile E-25s. Obviously, it was essential to remove these traitors.

I'm sure that at some point this tank will stop being fun, maybe when the T8s start rolling in in force... but even then, just driving it is fun.
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

I didn't read the 30 kill mission properly and ended up farming 18 useless kills in my LTP. Oh well, that tank is at least fun to drive and I can try for the prize again tomorrow.
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

This 30 kill mission is actually bad for the game I think. I've never seen some many people holding off on shots looking for the last kill in all my time playing this game. Do the majority of damage to a tank, some asshole who didn't fire for the past 30 seconds will steal it.
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Ghetto Edit: A better idea would to encourage dealing 50%+ damage to an enemy tank. That way people have no reason to hold shots.
The Infidel
Jedi Master

Post by The Infidel »

God, I hate autoloaders. Those things are ruining the game more than arty did. (When there were 5 arties on each side, that is.)
Where am I at in the post apocalypse draft? When do I start getting picks? Because I want this guy. This guy right here. I will regret not being able to claim the quote, "The first I noticed while burning weed, so I burned it, aiming at its head first. It wriggled for about 10 seconds. Too long... I then fetched an old machete [+LITERALLY ANYTHING]"
- Raw Shark on my slug hunting