World of Tanks Mark III

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Jub
Sith Marauder

Re: World of Tanks Mark III

Post by Jub »

I still play off and on, but this thread went from talking about the game and balance changes to just brag posting and I don't see the point of replying to people posting their post game stats. If I want to see replays I'll watch Jingles or Quickybaby.
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

I'm mostly waiting for 9.5 to come out. Kind of disillusioned with WoT as it is.
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Same, 9.5 and the personal missions would be pretty cool. Still, the game is frustrating to play solo and if I'm going to game with friends we usually jump into War Thunder.
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

Is it true that in the game your skill as a player matters almost less than the results of RNG when it comes to shooting and penetrating?
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

Post by The Vortex Empire »

Not at all, RNG doesn't have nearly that big an effect.
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

The Vortex Empire wrote:Not at all, RNG doesn't have nearly that big an effect.
Basically I was browsing their forum recently reading at stuff to see if I should try the game and I ran into a guy basically complaining how it does not matter how good he aims since the RNG can always decide he missed. And basically I tolerate 0 RNG involvement in things where I am expected to manually do something. So I am asking here.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Marko Dash
Jedi Knight

Post by Marko Dash »

RNG isn't nearly as bad as it used to be, can still have it's moments, like bouncing the T34's 120mm off the back of a E-25.
If a black-hawk flies over a light show and is not harmed, does that make it immune to lasers?
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Purple wrote:
Basically I was browsing their forum recently reading at stuff to see if I should try the game and I ran into a guy basically complaining how it does not matter how good he aims since the RNG can always decide he missed. And basically I tolerate 0 RNG involvement in things where I am expected to manually do something. So I am asking here.
RNG is one of the favourite excuses of people who suck but don't actually want to face up to the fact that they suck.

It sometimes makes odd things happen, but if you're in a position where it decides a match then you fucked up somewhere.
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Purple wrote:
People complain more than they ought to about RNG, but aside from playing as artillery, so long as you know your effective engagement range, have a fully upgraded crew, and take time to aim RNG will cost you, maybe, 1/20 shots. That's not much different than flinching or something while taking a shot in real life.
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

I kept playing regulary again the last couple of weeks (grinding for money now the high tiers are currently discounted and daddy needs an IS-8 (and Caernarvon if I have enough time)

I don't really follow the patch notes though? What are the main changes with 9.5?
Malagar
Youngling

Post by Malagar »

wautd wrote:I kept playing regulary again the last couple of weeks (grinding for money now the high tiers are currently discounted and daddy needs an IS-8 (and Caernarvon if I have enough time)

I don't really follow the patch notes though? What are the main changes with 9.5?
New British TD line (from what I've heard mainly made of tanks with paper armour), and a half line (tier 2-6) of american lend lease tanks (also added to the British line) + 3 new maps.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Purple wrote:Is it true that in the game your skill as a player matters almost less than the results of RNG when it comes to shooting and penetrating?
No. If you are stupid and aim at the most heavily armored parts of an enemy tank, you will predictably fail.

If you are clever and aim at the parts of a tank your cannon can actually pierce...

My experience, with my limited skills and inferior computer, is that you will often succeed, but not always.

Others who are more skilled than me (and have better computers) find that they can penetrate enemy tanks almost all the time, if their aim is true.

Moreover, it's not like you only get one shot per battle unless you really screw up, so even if one round misses the enemy tank by a few centimeters, or bounces off armor you expected to break, you get another shot soon.

Now, the random number generator does affect the amount of damage you do, and (in effect) has some influence on whether any one shot you fire actually does damage. But the effect of randomness is no greater than in any other MMO game I'm familiar with, and less than it is in most. Your individual marksmanship is still vitally important. As is your ability to assess the surrounding terrain and tactical situation, and place your tank where it will do the greatest harm to the enemy, while suffering the least risk.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
The Infidel
Jedi Master

Post by The Infidel »

Jub wrote:I still play off and on, but this thread went from talking about the game and balance changes to just brag posting and I don't see the point of replying to people posting their post game stats. If I want to see replays I'll watch Jingles or Quickybaby.
I feel a bit guilty here, but sometimes I have an AWESOME battle and just want to share it. I don't see any use of sharing the numerous battles I have that are just meh.
Where am I at in the post apocalypse draft? When do I start getting picks? Because I want this guy. This guy right here. I will regret not being able to claim the quote, "The first I noticed while burning weed, so I burned it, aiming at its head first. It wriggled for about 10 seconds. Too long... I then fetched an old machete [+LITERALLY ANYTHING]"
- Raw Shark on my slug hunting
Darth Yoshi
Metroid

Post by Darth Yoshi »

Simon_Jester wrote:
Purple wrote:Is it true that in the game your skill as a player matters almost less than the results of RNG when it comes to shooting and penetrating?
No. If you are stupid and aim at the most heavily armored parts of an enemy tank, you will predictably fail.

If you are clever and aim at the parts of a tank your cannon can actually pierce...

My experience, with my limited skills and inferior computer, is that you will often succeed, but not always.

Others who are more skilled than me (and have better computers) find that they can penetrate enemy tanks almost all the time, if their aim is true.

Moreover, it's not like you only get one shot per battle unless you really screw up, so even if one round misses the enemy tank by a few centimeters, or bounces off armor you expected to break, you get another shot soon.

Now, the random number generator does affect the amount of damage you do, and (in effect) has some influence on whether any one shot you fire actually does damage. But the effect of randomness is no greater than in any other MMO game I'm familiar with, and less than it is in most. Your individual marksmanship is still vitally important. As is your ability to assess the surrounding terrain and tactical situation, and place your tank where it will do the greatest harm to the enemy, while suffering the least risk.
And it's not like the crosshair doesn't helpfully turn colors based on how well the armor on the spot being targeted compares to your penetration value. It doesn't factor in angling or spaced armor, of course, but simply making sure that the crosshair is green and not red or orange will greatly increase the penetrations you get. Really, it's not so much a matter of whether your shots penetrate or not, but rather surviving long enough to actually get those shots off. And that's little to do with RNG and more on your situational awareness and tactics.
Fragment of the Lord of Nightmares, release thy heavenly retribution. Blade of cold, black nothingness: become my power, become my body. Together, let us walk the path of destruction and smash even the souls of the Gods! RAGNA BLADE!
Lore Monkey | the Pichu-master™
Secularism—since AD 80
Av: Elika; Prince of Persia
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

I have never had any luck using the crosshair colors, mostly because it takes me too long to spot the color of a thin line or tiny dot in my visual field. This may be some sort of minor disability on my part, but as a rule I accomplish more just by remembering which tanks have roughly how much armor, and trying to always get shots into something other than hull or turret front on a heavily armored vehicle.
Darth Yoshi
Metroid

Post by Darth Yoshi »

There are crosshair mods out there to make it more visible (I use j1mb0's myself), although I suppose the point is to not need mods. In any case, knowing where not to shoot definitely helps. I hope you at least use a tank viewer to learn the armor distributions rather than brute forcing it.
Fragment of the Lord of Nightmares, release thy heavenly retribution. Blade of cold, black nothingness: become my power, become my body. Together, let us walk the path of destruction and smash even the souls of the Gods! RAGNA BLADE!
Lore Monkey | the Pichu-master™
Secularism—since AD 80
Av: Elika; Prince of Persia
Argosh
Jedi Knight

Post by Argosh »

Brute force ftw :D
Feels like a lot more aggressive (or stupid) players are out during the holidays, had many matches yesterday where my own team started bickering in the chat etc.
Also, Chi-Ri. It sucks, as stock at least. It also sucks with top gun but not as much. That x5 daily helped a lot though, I unlocked the E75 among other things. Still 10k to go to T-44.
--
Don't make me use uppercase...
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Darth Yoshi wrote:There are crosshair mods out there to make it more visible (I use j1mb0's myself), although I suppose the point is to not need mods. In any case, knowing where not to shoot definitely helps. I hope you at least use a tank viewer to learn the armor distributions rather than brute forcing it.
I occasionally look over the armor distributions on a viewer while not actively playing, when trying to identify a weak point in an otherwise well protected tank.

Back when everybody and their goddamn cousin Fred had a Type 59, for example, I spent a lot of time in Tier 5 and 6 vehicles getting swarmed by Type 59s, so I made the best study I could of how to kill them from the front and sides with low-penetration weapons.

On the whole, I can usually make a pretty good guess of the enemy's LOS armor thickness from eyeballing the angle of its slope and remembering the stats, plus a few stereotypes (second line of German TDs have cardboard armor everywhere, et cetera). While I do find myself firing on the enemy from directions I know I have a fair chance of bouncing, I generally can tell in advance whether a hit is likely to penetrate or not.

At least, subject to the limits of my ability to aim and fire precisely given my own skills and the quality of my computer hardware.
Nathan F
Resident Redneck

Post by Nathan F »

Glad to see there are more WoTers on here. Have you guys been noticing lots of weird crap since 9.6? I've had an inordinate amount of shots get absorbed by tracks (both to my benefit, like the time a SU-122-44 slammed me dead on from the side in my Cromwell, but didn't get a pen, and against), as well as a massive amount of shots just disappear before they hit the tank even though it's in my draw range (like...the tracer is heading straight for the side of another tank, but doesn't pen, doesn't bounce, doesn't crit hit, nothing...just disappears). And I'm not talking about low tier, low caliber guns. This happens in Tier 7 and higher matches.

Anyway, if anyone is up for platooning at any point, shoot me a PM and I'll give you my user name.
Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Post by Nephtys »

Haven't played WoT in a while... endgame just stunk, and I never had fun in my T110 as compared to the E8 or M46.

Been playing a lot of Warthunder now though! I enjoy their tank mode much better. It feels a lot less of 'shoot the hatch repeatedly', and more creative fighting. Having to calc for shot drop instead of random scatter makes shooting a lot more interesting, and you get punished way less for dying. Plus way more 'real' tanks/planes and less nazi fantasy mobiles seems more interesting and less of a hunt for more penetration...
Nathan F
Resident Redneck

Post by Nathan F »

Never played Warthunder. I may have to give it a shot, sounds like it could, in fact, be significantly more entertaining...
Xess
Jedi Knight

Post by Xess »

I actually prefer WoT to WarThunder Ground Forces. I have way more fun in WoT.
Image[
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Is anybody else here in the World of Warships beta yet?

I am and so far it's pretty fun and it even seem reasonably well balanced. Personally, I'm terrible with destroyers, but the cruisers and battleships are great fun and I'm curious to see how the carriers will play. Does anybody else have any thoughts on it thus far?
Rogue 9
Scrapping TIEs since 1997

Post by Rogue 9 »

I'ma just leave this here.

What can I say? I love fast tanks. :P Got another ace game with T71 and a top gun loss in the M2 light also in upload queue. On the subject of the M7 and T71, incidentally, I find it hilarious that the M7's six pounder with a gun rammer has less time between shells than the T71's revolver magazine, and doesn't have to wait eighteen seconds every six shots. :lol:

I applied for a World of Warships beta key last week, haven't heard back yet.
It's Rogue, not Rouge!

HAB | KotL | VRWC/ELC/CDA | TRotR | The Anti-Confederate | Sluggite | Gamer | Blogger | Staff Reporter | Student | Musician
The Infidel
Jedi Master

Post by The Infidel »

Rogue 9 wrote:I'ma just leave this here.
Nice battle. The best battles are usually those where you take a few chances and score jackpot.

I've heard rumors that they will make T18 into arty. If that sucks, I wonder what I should do with my crew with 4 perks, maybe a T-34? Never liked the T82. Had it for a few battles and sold it, even though I had a very high win rate with it.
Where am I at in the post apocalypse draft? When do I start getting picks? Because I want this guy. This guy right here. I will regret not being able to claim the quote, "The first I noticed while burning weed, so I burned it, aiming at its head first. It wriggled for about 10 seconds. Too long... I then fetched an old machete [+LITERALLY ANYTHING]"
- Raw Shark on my slug hunting