Youtube/Flash videos not working

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

NoXion
Padawan Learner

Youtube/Flash videos not working

Post by NoXion »

Ever since about Monday, I've not been able to access videos on Youtube or most other video streaming sites. Vimeo works, albeit slowly enough that I have to keep pausing to allow it to buffer. I've tried updating Flash, re-installing Flash, clearing all caches and history, resetting Firefox, using Chrome and Internet Explorer instead of Firefox, none of that works. Although if I use a proxy I can watch videos on YouTube. Otherwise I almost always immediately get the "An error occurred, please try again later" message, on very rare occasions the video might play for a few seconds, but not lately.

Anyone have any idea what might be going on? It's rather frustrating.
Does it follow that I reject all authority? Perish the thought. In the matter of boots, I defer to the authority of the boot-maker - Mikhail Bakunin
Capital is reckless of the health or length of life of the laborer, unless under compulsion from society - Karl Marx
Pollution is nothing but the resources we are not harvesting. We allow them to disperse because we've been ignorant of their value - R. Buckminster Fuller
The important thing is not to be human but to be humane - Eliezer S. Yudkowsky

Nova Mundi, my laughable attempt at an original worldbuilding/gameplay project
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Re: Youtube/Flash videos not working

Post by Mr Bean »

1. Start checking for malware
2. Check your restore points for what was installed on Monday

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Dominus Atheos
Sith Marauder

Post by Dominus Atheos »

My first guess would be your ISP throttling web video. Does flash work on on any other computers in your house, or do you only have one?
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

Do you happen to have hamachi installed? I had a very similar problem some time ago and it turned out that hamachi was for some obscure reason rerouting certain websites in a way that made it impossible to view them until I removed it.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
NoXion
Padawan Learner

Post by NoXion »

After using a system restore point dated 26/7/13 (nothing had been installed on or around the Monday), scanning for malware using Malwarebytes, and uninstalling Hamachi, none of which solved the problem, it seems that my ISP is throttling me somehow as after having paid for another month of access, Flash and YouTube videos seem to be working again.

I'm thinking of taking up my neighbour's offer of wireless access to his landline internet router, hopefully that would be better value for money than the mobile connection I'm using now.
Does it follow that I reject all authority? Perish the thought. In the matter of boots, I defer to the authority of the boot-maker - Mikhail Bakunin
Capital is reckless of the health or length of life of the laborer, unless under compulsion from society - Karl Marx
Pollution is nothing but the resources we are not harvesting. We allow them to disperse because we've been ignorant of their value - R. Buckminster Fuller
The important thing is not to be human but to be humane - Eliezer S. Yudkowsky

Nova Mundi, my laughable attempt at an original worldbuilding/gameplay project
Dominus Atheos
Sith Marauder

Post by Dominus Atheos »

Oh yeah I forgot, there was a news story last month about ISPs doing some dirty tricks to slow Youtube and Netflix without actually throttling speeds.

http://arstechnica.com/information-tech ... ine-video/

Relevent portion:

I won't quote the entire thing because it's long and very technical, but the most relevant portion is:
But cynical types who suspect their Internet Service Providers (ISPs) intentionally degrade streaming video may be right as well. No, your ISP (probably) isn't sniffing your traffic every time you click a YouTube or Netflix link, ready to throttle your bandwidth. But behind the scenes, in negotiations that almost never become public, the world's biggest Internet providers and video services argue over how much one network should pay to connect to another. When these negotiations fail, users suffer. In other words, bad video performance is often caused not just by technology problems but also by business decisions made by the companies that control the Internet.

These business decisions involve "peering" agreements that Internet companies make to pass traffic from one to another and negotiations over caching services that store videos closer to people's homes so they can load faster in your browser. When Internet providers refuse to upgrade peering connections, traffic gets congested. When ISPs refuse to use the caching services offered by the likes of Google and Netflix, video has to travel farther across the Internet to get to its final destination—your living room.