iOS 7: GUI changes for the better?

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Phantasee
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.

iOS 7: GUI changes for the better?

Post by Phantasee »

I recall phongn among others mentioning they disliked the skueumorphism of iOS and OSX. How do y'all feel about the shift in iOS 7, based on developer beta and screenshots?

Personally I'm okay with the change, given the new features we've been waiting for (like the pull up control panel) but I can't vibe with the bright colours. I'm just not a fan of pink and green, and I really like the colour scheme with iOS 6. I feel like they finally got it right, with the slight navy tinge to the grey.

What are the terms I should be using to describe this new design scheme? I'm calling it Windows 8-esque, but that's not really fair to all the other GUIs that did it first. Flat?
XXXI
Sharp-kun
Sith Devotee

Re: iOS 7: GUI changes for the better?

Post by Sharp-kun »

What they need are themes.
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

I would prefer some icon changes, but am otherwise fine with the changes. The features were more the issue, since I actually prefer the original iOS style. I don't really want it to look more like Android had a child with WP8 and Meego. They did say that the iOS was still in flux, and apparently the seeds for developers are already a newer version than those showcased at WWDC's opening.
phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Phantasee wrote:I recall phongn among others mentioning they disliked the skueumorphism of iOS and OSX. How do y'all feel about the shift in iOS 7, based on developer beta and screenshots?
The screenshots and videos look pretty good. I haven't loaded the beta, though, so I'll be awaiting what happens this fall. I expect a lot more polish and cleanup to happen. I'm much more interested in how interactions will change, not just the surface layer, however pretty.
Personally I'm okay with the change, given the new features we've been waiting for (like the pull up control panel) but I can't vibe with the bright colours. I'm just not a fan of pink and green, and I really like the colour scheme with iOS 6. I feel like they finally got it right, with the slight navy tinge to the grey.
This guy noted that Apple did this once before (OS X 10.0's "Aqua" design) and iterated to something much cleaner over time. I'm hoping it calms down a bit over the coming months and years.
What are the terms I should be using to describe this new design scheme? I'm calling it Windows 8-esque, but that's not really fair to all the other GUIs that did it first. Flat?
Most people are calling it "flat", but there's layers of depth, too, even if each "surface" is flat.
Sharp-kun wrote:What they need are themes.
I hope this is sarcasm. If not: Apple products are uncompromisingly defined by "we know what's best" and the better for it. There are plenty of perfectly fine alternatives (particularly Android) if you want deeper customization.
Phantasee
Was mich nicht umbringt, macht mich stärker.

Post by Phantasee »

You're always the calming voice of reason :) That article allayed a lot of my concerns.
XXXI
Haruko
Jedi Master

Post by Haruko »

Well, my only Apple product is an iPod Touch 4, which I got last year as a Christmas present from my sister because she noticed I listen to music a lot. However, I cannot get iOS7, as the 4 is not supported.

Heard that most of the changes were simply cosmetic, though.
If The Infinity Program were not a forum, it would be a pie-in-the-sky project.
Faith is both the prison and the open hand.”— Vienna Teng, "Augustine."
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

phongn
Rebel Leader

Post by phongn »

Admiral Valdemar wrote:As I stated, tweeks to the icons.
Rumor has it that Apple is trying to expand their design base and had a bunch of non-design-team people make icons. Expect to Apple to continuously iterate their design.
Haruko wrote:Heard that most of the changes were simply cosmetic, though.
Feature additions. True multitasking is the big one.
Phantasee wrote:You're always the calming voice of reason :) That article allayed a lot of my concerns.
To be fair, they might screw it up anyways. As some notable Apple commentators have said: "don't trust it to get better" (generally in reference to products with promise that never quite get there - e.g. older Android phones). Good thing I randomly decided to log onto SDN; I might've missed this thread :P