LEGO MMO?

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Havok
Miscreant

LEGO MMO?

Post by Havok »

As I was flying around Gotham with Captain Fucking Marvel, I thought it would have been awesome if I could pop Stark, who would probably be playing as Goon #2 just to be anti in some Coops.

So here is my question/idea:
Why couldn't LEGO take all their licensed worlds; DC, Pirates of the Caribbean, Harry Potter, Indiana Jones, Star Wars, Marvel (coming soon) and LOTR, not to mention all their own dope space, castle, ninja and city stuff, and make a massive cross license MMO on console where any characters could travel to any worlds and it was all online and all PVP?

I mean, they have all the licenses already, everyone loves LEGO, people love mashups (and it seems to be the latest videogame trend in certain companies) the mechanics of all the games work the same way. No one set of characters are more over powered than any other.

Superman could fight off a horde of orcs. Harry Potter could team up with Anakin Skywalker and fight Nazis, Batman could tell Captain Jack that he is the Goshdarn Batman.

PLUS Now that Disney owns Lucasfilm, other than DC, Potter and LOTR, all their licensed big name brands are owned by Disney... and aren't all the former Warner Bros?

People seem to love that Minecraft shit, but imagine a proper LEGO MMO where you could go from Tattoine to Middle Earth to 1941 Germany to Metropolis to the trenches of the Death Star all in one game... AS CAPTAIN FUCKING MARVEL... I mean, come the fuck on, would anyone even play any other MMOs?

Not to mention all the cool shit you could do with vehicles, powers, costumes... I mean the dress up... THE DRESS UP!!!

Anyway, explain to me why this can't and won't happen, how nerds are fat and then Starglider can come be all technical and you can all gleefully crush my hopes.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
InsaneTD
Jedi Knight

Re: LEGO MMO?

Post by InsaneTD »

Well, Lego actually have an MMO on PC already. Though it is exclusively for kids. It does allow a lot of character customization and build. I can't remember much else about it now though. It was shown on a documentary on the Lego factory.

An adult version like your suggesting would be cool.
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

Havok wrote:I mean, they have all the licenses already, everyone loves LEGO
Firstly, LEGO Universe was a flop, which probably burned everyone involved and put them off MMOs for a while. Secondly, having a license for making themed LEGO kits is not the same thing as having a computer game license. There are complex exclusivity constraints on most properties and artistic control issues with combining them into one setting. Also publishers are kind of freaked out right now about the decline of subscription MMORPGs and the hit-and-miss results of freemium revenue models, and it would be hard to raise the kind of budget this sort of project would need. Finally it isn't a good time to make a console MMO because of the upcoming transition, which either limits the life of the game if made for 7th gen consoles or requires more dev budget if made for both gens.
Well, Lego actually have an MMO on PC already. Though it is exclusively for kids. It does allow a lot of character customization and build. I can't remember much else about it now though. It was shown on a documentary on the Lego factory.
LEGO Universe was shut down over a year ago. It was delayed a couple of years and then only lasted 15 months before running out of money.
Marko Dash
Jedi Knight

Post by Marko Dash »

i saw the title and thought 'minecraft, but with lego pieces.' witch would be very awesome if they could get all the pieces to work, like wheels rolling.

maybe something like a combination of

minecraft- an open world 'build your own world' aspect with multiplier options

gary's mod- you would be able to stick things together and move it as one piece, and at least gravity + destruction physics

scriblenauts- some of your creations might not work as originally intended, ex. you could build a thing with a megaphone piece and antenna and name it a laser gun and have it act like a laser gun, or stick a bunch of flat pieces together and name it a wing.

it would probably outsell minecraft three-fold.
If a black-hawk flies over a light show and is not harmed, does that make it immune to lasers?