Dark Souls for $10?

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Havok
Miscreant

Dark Souls for $10?

Post by Havok »

I had a thread before asking about this game, do I pass it up at this Australian Thievery price?
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Re: Dark Souls for $10?

Post by Stark »

Is it die by the sword edition?
PS no I don't know what is in the DBTS edition. Maybe a terrible 90s chopping game.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

I dunno. For 10 bucks and 600msp for the DLC expansion ($14 total) I got it.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Apparently the DLC I got is the "Prepare to Die" stuff that they added for the PC version. So yeah.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Jordie
Padawan Learner

Post by Jordie »

To get to the additional areas in PTD you have to get about halfway through the game, pick up some random object from a random enemy, go back to an area you'd have already cleared several hours earlier and then go into a corner of that section of the map you wouldn't go to for any other reason. And then it locks you in the DLC areas until you beat the boss.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Worth noting though that as far as I can tell* Dark Souls is basically about that obtuse about absolutely everything in it. Don't expect a whole lot of explanation in the game about what to do or where to go to do it.

* I got distracted blowing up petrol stations and water towers, the true symbols of fascist oppression.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Yeah, despite what Playstation fans might wax lyrical about, it's really just a series of puzzle rooms arranged at random. That's not bad, but it's also not very compelling. Shame too cause the combat stuff was neat, at least until you got a megasword.
Melchior
Jedi Master

Post by Melchior »

Jordie wrote:And then it locks you in the DLC areas until you beat the boss.
No. Spoiler
You need to have the lordvessel in order to enter the area, so you can teleport out. Which game did you play?
CaptHawkeye
Sith Devotee

Post by CaptHawkeye »

Stark wrote:Yeah, despite what Playstation fans might wax lyrical about, it's really just a series of puzzle rooms arranged at random. That's not bad, but it's also not very compelling. Shame too cause the combat stuff was neat, at least until you got a megasword.
The combat system was excellent but I did not find the level design or art terribly interesting, so I lost interest in the game pretty fast. Unfortunate because I could sense it was different in a good way, and I had no problem at all with the game's challenge and difficulty. I just didn't find that it held my interest beyond figuring out the nuances of the excellent combat mechanics.
Best care anywhere.