So, New Xbox Reveal In About 14 Hours.

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Lord Relvenous
Jedi Council Member

Re: So, New Xbox Reveal In About 14 Hours.

Post by Lord Relvenous »

Flagg wrote:
Melchior wrote:
Flagg wrote: Eat me, you whiny child. Oh the pirates won't someone please think of the pirates? Hey, you can get jailed mistakenly maybe we should just scrap every justice system on Earth?
The point here is that you can buy the other, largely equivalent or superior, console, a platform where that sort of thing can't happen.
By all means, people who don't want to get banned for piracy and cheating should get the psfail.
Or people who don't want to be mistakenly banned and have to slog through customer service to recover access to their games. You already accepted that this happens, so you switching back to "cheaters and pirates" is nothing more than a continued attempt to troll.

To use your own analogy, you have a choice of two countries, one with a justice system that can mistakenly identify you as an enemy of the state and execute you, and the other where you can be mistakenly charged with a crime and jailed. They both include a chance of you being punished for no wrong-doing, but one is much worse than the other.
Coyote: Warm it in the microwave first to avoid that 'necrophelia' effect.
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Flagg wrote:By all means, people who don't want to get banned for piracy and cheating should get the psfail.
How much personal identity do you have locked into the X-Box franchise to claim that everybody who gets banned is a cheater and/or pirate and to call the PS4 the PSFail?

Can you not understand that the fact that you could lose your games over nothing is enough to make people wary. Even if you get it back there is nothing to say it will be done quickly or easily. Even good companies like Blizzard can take anywhere between a few hours and a few days to correct an issue. This doesn't even cover outages (both to XBL and to your local internet) that could look you out of single player games for who knows how long.

With all this shit involved what would you say to convince me to shell out for an X-Box One?
JLTucker
BANNED

Post by JLTucker »

Jub wrote:
Flagg wrote:By all means, people who don't want to get banned for piracy and cheating should get the psfail.
How much personal identity do you have locked into the X-Box franchise to claim that everybody who gets banned is a cheater and/or pirate and to call the PS4 the PSFail?
The same as those saying "Xbone"?
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

JLTucker wrote:
Jub wrote:
The same as those saying "Xbone"?
Meh, you don't see PS4 fans on this forum lashing out at X-Box fans when reasonable issues are raised about the PS4.
Shinova
Emperor's Hand

Post by Shinova »

JLTucker wrote: The same as those saying "Xbone"?
It's juvenile sure, but the xbox one IS being legitimately deserving of the moniker in the eyes of most people.
What's her bust size!?

It's over NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAND!!!!!!!!!
Marko Dash
Jedi Knight

Post by Marko Dash »

'XBone' isn't really an insult, it's just a way of differing the new console's name from the first xbox.

it's similar to the B-1 lancer's nickname, B-One = Bone, XBox One = XBone.
If a black-hawk flies over a light show and is not harmed, does that make it immune to lasers?
DaveJB
Jedi Council Member

Post by DaveJB »

Dark Primus wrote:Thought you guys wanted to see this, unless it had already been posted.

Angry Joe interview with Major Nelson
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RtSGFryKwo
From the sounds of that interview (and moreso the second part of the video) there's going to be one Xbox Live account per console, and each account can have a certain number of family members assigned to it. Presumably that means that bans for cheating or douchebaggery will only be handed out to individual family members, with total account nukage being saved for instances of fraud or other severe offences.
Admiral Drason
Jedi Knight

Post by Admiral Drason »

In regards to banned users, it seems that you will still be able to play your games regardless of having a banned live account or not according to Major Nelson http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lMhjM9BK7M
A truly wise man never plays leapfrog with a unicorn
So Say We All
Night Stalkers Don't Quit
HAB member
RIP Pegasus. You died like you lived, killing toasters
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Admiral Drason wrote:In regards to banned users, it seems that you will still be able to play your games regardless of having a banned live account or not according to Major Nelson http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lMhjM9BK7M
"It's about having access to your games, anywhere you are, things you really can't do today."

I'm paraphrasing a bit, but man guy this can shovel shit like a pro.

Though it's worth a laugh when his answer to the first question is "don't you worry about the Xbone, let me worry about blank."
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Admiral Drason wrote:In regards to banned users, it seems that you will still be able to play your games regardless of having a banned live account or not according to Major Nelson http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lMhjM9BK7M
Wow it's almost like the people worrying about pirates and cheaters not being able to play their games were engaged in rampant speculation and breathless hyperbole.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

What fucking fantasy land do you live in where "Offical agent says X" makes X rampant speculation? It's not our fault Microsoft can't put forward a cohesive message about anything but the price of their box.
Grandmaster Jogurt
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grandmaster Jogurt »

From what I remember, the official accounts have contradicted each other before multiple times, so at this point I'd figure it's best to take any info on the One with a grain of salt.
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

That's great and all for the people who have already decided to buy an Xbox, but Microsoft doesn't have the luxury they had with the 360 launch and having their direct competitor hit the market at a higher price point and at a time when 360 was hitting a really nice stride when it came to games and console content. This up and down current of bad information isn't cutting it and as a consumer: it's not my fucking problem and I don't have to get all butthurt when people bash MS for shitty business practices.

Now, we're still 6 months out, so it's not over by any stretch and Microsoft can usually afford their buffoonish marketing tactics, but Sony has been bringing their A-game giving us clear information on how their system is going to work. And nothing I've seen has Sony talking about stealing games from customers they don't like.

At this particular point, I can only see an Xbone being a contender if you already have a lot invested into your gamerscore or you give a shit about exclusives, most of which are "Popular Series on a downhill slide: N+1"
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Can anybody tell me why, with what we know about each console thus far, I should buy an X-Box One? I like the PS4 exclusives better than what MS has been offering and the vast majority of the games will be multi-platform anyway. Plus, as I'll be in Aus when the console launches, it being region free will save me heaps of money to go with the region free option.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

CD Projekt Red Reacts To Lack Of Xbox One In Poland
Microsoft confirmed the list of countries in which the Xbox One will be available at launch. The company's official support Twitter account also stated that the system simply may not work, even with an account in an authorized territory.

One of those countries is Poland, home of CD Projekt Red, who is working on The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt for a multiplatform launch that includes Microsoft's console.

We spoke with Marcin Iwinski, co-founder and joint CEO of CD Projekt Red about the matter. "I was just in a restaurant and saw the list," Iwinski told us. "I was surprised, and I really hope that it isn't final. I think Polish gamers will speak out loud. From my perspective, it's a sad situation."
CD Projekt Red are one of the developers that Microsoft decided were important enough that they got a spot in the Xbox conference. But Microsoft didn't even tell them that they would not be able to play the Xbox version of a game they are developing. CD Projekt Red learned about the region restrictions through the news, like the rest of us.

How badly will Microsoft be treating other developers ?
Grandmaster Jogurt
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grandmaster Jogurt »

TheFeniX wrote:That's great and all for the people who have already decided to buy an Xbox, but Microsoft doesn't have the luxury they had with the 360 launch and having their direct competitor hit the market at a higher price point and at a time when 360 was hitting a really nice stride when it came to games and console content. This up and down current of bad information isn't cutting it and as a consumer: it's not my fucking problem and I don't have to get all butthurt when people bash MS for shitty business practices.
I don't think pointing out how bafflingly terribly Microsoft is handling the public relations and marketing ends of this product is unreasonable here. I'm honestly curious as to what the One's going to end up being so I just would prefer things discussed as facts actually be facts. We're sadly at a point where even some of their public statements are more at the rumor end than fact. Discussion about the One probably requires more care to get things right, and this isn't to defend Microsoft, but to try to ensure discussion actually passes real information rather than jumping onto the bandwagon.

If I'm coming across as trying to defend Flagg here I'm not.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

It's pretty funny watching you guys complain about a few hours or *gasp* A FEW DAYS to get your licenses back if you get unfairly banned. Go outside for a while geezus. :lol:

Flagg's overall point is that the people that deserve to get banned can eat shit and those that get banned unfairly will get their shit back, even if they have to wait WHOLE DAYS. :lol:
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Havok wrote:It's pretty funny watching you guys complain about a few hours or *gasp* A FEW DAYS to get your licenses back if you get unfairly banned. Go outside for a while geezus. :lol:

Flagg's overall point is that the people that deserve to get banned can eat shit and those that get banned unfairly will get their shit back, even if they have to wait WHOLE DAYS. :lol:
Okay, what if that happened to say your books or your sports gear or anything else that serves the same roll as gaming? Plus you aren't assured of getting it back. Are you comfortable putting say hundreds of dollars into something that you might lose for no reason?

Not to mention that once the servers go down your games may stop working at the sole discretion of MS. I want to be able to hook up an old system and play my games years down the line if the fancy strikes me. I still play NES every so often, will the X-Box One offer the same longevity?

EDIT: Plus why would I bother risking any of this in the first place when the cheaper option doesn't have these flaws?

Nobody has even attempted to sell me on the X-Box and I've asked twice now in this thread what it does that a PS4 and a smart TV won't?
GuppyShark
Sith Devotee

Post by GuppyShark »

I'm still laughing at the idea of a console that requires an Internet connection at all. I only bother to hook my Xbox up to the net for the occasional patch. I can't justify paying a monthly subscription just to play online games when my PC already does it for free.

EDIT: although beating rednecks at madden during free Gold weekends certainly had a unique charm
AniThyng
Sith Devotee

Post by AniThyng »

Havok wrote:It's pretty funny watching you guys complain about a few hours or *gasp* A FEW DAYS to get your licenses back if you get unfairly banned. Go outside for a while geezus. :lol:

It's not just sitting back and waiting a few days, it's spending hours dealing with overworked underpaid customer support to get your problem dealt with in the first place. I say this as someone who had to talk to my Bank, Paypal and Steam due to an error on Paypal's part that triggered automatic account lockout on Steam's part that etc etc etc.

In any case, I'll hang on to be 360 and just go ahead an get a PS4*. There don't strike me as a lot of XBONE exclusives that won't make it to my PC anyway - even more so now that all of them are x86 based. Cross-platform's going to be the thing aint it.

*Oh right, MS doesn't care about selling XBox's to my third world hellhole anyway. I have to register my Live account to a fake Singaporean address. (nevermind One's).
I do know how to spell
AniThyng is merely the name I gave to what became my favourite Baldur's Gate II mage character :P
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

Even if we are OK with MS banning people from their accounts, why is that feature a good reason for me to buy XBOXone over PS4? Think about it for a second. If I buy the PS4, I never have to worry about my games being banned unfairly, but I do need to worry a little on XBOXone.

Flagg seems to be defending a feature that I as a consumer simply do not care about. Why should I be concerned about pirates downloading games illegally? After all, I bought a game legitimately, and most people who pirate will not be able to play the games online. There is no need for me to praise MS for their anti-piracy measures.
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
Losonti Tokash
Sith Devotee

Post by Losonti Tokash »

You don't lose games on the One if you get banned, the support account was talking about the 360.
Lagmonster
Master Control Program
Master Control Program

Post by Lagmonster »

Jub wrote:Are you comfortable putting say hundreds of dollars into something that you might lose for no reason?
How many people, in the years of service and millions of customers, have had accounts banned "for no reason"? How big of a risk is it, really? What is the average outcome for those affected by this risk?

A smart person actually figures out if an issue is worth giving any shits about before he gives any shits. If you find out that the risk is negligible or manageable, you don't need to consider that risk in your decision, particularly if other factors (ie. the actual function of the device itself) has more influence on you anyway.
I want to be able to hook up an old system and play my games years down the line if the fancy strikes me. I still play NES every so often, will the X-Box One offer the same longevity?
I've got a long-standing hunch that "people who replay ancient games on ancient systems" is such a tiny consumer group that no company needs to care about it in order to make a profit. I realize this is analogous to telling you to sit on it and rotate, but I'm not here to defend Microsoft's business strategy, merely to suggest what it implies.
Nobody has even attempted to sell me on the X-Box and I've asked twice now in this thread what it does that a PS4 and a smart TV won't?
This is because nobody gives a shit how you choose to spend your money.

If it makes you feel better, your choice will probably be made for you based on the brand loyalty of your peer group and the quality of the titles available for each system within the first year.
Note: I'm semi-retired from the board, so if you need something, please be patient.
Melchior
Jedi Master

Post by Melchior »

Lagmonster wrote:How many people, in the years of service and millions of customers, have had accounts banned "for no reason"? How big of a risk is it, really? What is the average outcome for those affected by this risk?
The realistic issue here is the possibility of authentication server outage. It's probably not going to be a persistent problem, but since the whole scheme doesn't actually do anything to benefit consumers...
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Havok wrote:Flagg's overall point is that the people that deserve to get banned can eat shit and those that get banned unfairly will get their shit back, even if they have to wait WHOLE DAYS. :lol:
I doubt anyone really cares that Flagg's ok with MS owning all the stuff he paid the money for. I buy Steam games myself. My problem is his constant stream of "fuck you guys for defending consumer rights and quoting Microsoft spokespeople." Yes, some of the info is bad. But it's not like people are quoting SDF (who still lists PS4's online as free) to discredit the XBone.

However, I don't care if a 13-year-old offends every group out there while aimbotting on his pirated COD35: you don't have the right to steal his property because he stole yours or offended you in some way. Even if I thought that was a good idea, Microsoft has no incentive to be fair in their support system because keeping the ban benefits them numerous ways and lifting the ban doesn't.
Losonti Tokash wrote:You don't lose games on the One if you get banned, the support account was talking about the 360.
That Major guy already cleared up the banned games thing. Even then, get your shit straight. "@XboxSupport If my XBOX LIVE account was banned, would I continue to have access to my XBOX ONE games?"