So, New Xbox Reveal In About 14 Hours.

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Havok
Miscreant

So, New Xbox Reveal In About 14 Hours.

Post by Havok »

Anyone got the skinny on it?
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Losonti Tokash
Sith Devotee

Re: So, New Xbox Reveal In About 14 Hours.

Post by Losonti Tokash »

I can firmly predict that it will have an entry from the obscure underground franchise sometimes known as Cod. There may also be upcoming titles in the controversial Forza series.
Lord Relvenous
Jedi Council Member

Post by Lord Relvenous »

There may or may not be a Halo title announced to complete and total surprise.
Coyote: Warm it in the microwave first to avoid that 'necrophelia' effect.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

You guys are dingleberries.

Anything not completely fucking obvious? HAI GUISE I THINK THERE WILL BE A NEW MADDEN ON THE NEW XBOX HUR HUR
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Temjin
Jedi Council Member

Post by Temjin »

Well, I do have some really easy predictions.

They're not going to call it the Xbox 720. That's a terrible name. The only reason they called this last one the Xbox 360 was because they didn't want to be the Xbox 2 going up against the Playstation 3. Because consumers are that stupid, apparently.

It's going to have integrated Kinnect. It's Microsoft's new pet. Most games aren't going to make use of it, and alot of the ones that try will have it be in really gimmicky ways (I'm looking at you Mass Effect 3). The few that are centred around it can be fun.

It's going to have blu-ray functionality. This is a given. Also hilarious.

It's going to have integrated Wifi, because fuck you original xbox 360 with your god damn hundred dollar wifi addon.

It's going to have specs comparable to a modern upper mid range computer, but not going into crazy high end territory.

And that's because it's going to be sold for around $450 to $550.

And that's about it. Either really easy predictions, or predictions pulled straight out of my ass.
"A mind is like a parachute. It only works when it is open."
-Sir James Dewar

Life should have a soundtrack.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Anyone want to guess at the ratio of talking about games to talking about using it as a media hub and trying to sell people on social features that they can all get on their phones and/or tablets?
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

Vendetta wrote:Anyone want to guess at the ratio of talking about games to talking about using it as a media hub and trying to sell people on social features that they can all get on their phones and/or tablets?
Oh, I do so hope they sell us on that, like Sony did. Because if there's one thing I hated about being a bedroom ridden gamer teen, it's not being able to have the morons in society I actively avoid, interact with my gaming.
Tolya
Jedi Council Member

Post by Tolya »

I call the name: Xbox Infinity. Orsomsuch. Because Infinity is so hip right now.

Also, the Kinect thingy will record you at all times now, so don't go playing Gladiators without your pants on.
Losonti Tokash
Sith Devotee

Post by Losonti Tokash »

Peter Molyneux just said he's not working on any Xbox titles right now. That's the first bit of good news for the new console, at least.
DaveJB
Jedi Council Member

Post by DaveJB »

New system is called the Xbox One. And appropriately enough, it looks to be about the same size as the original Xbox...

EDIT: Looks like it has voice control over the whole system via Kinect. And credit where it's due, so far they've avoided a repeat of the "Dear Aunt" foul-up from the Vista beta demo. :P
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

All the voice stuff sounds impressive, but I've a feeling that it will probably only work in America because other nations have different content providers and it's not the sort of thing I want my xbox to do. Also, 90% of the "harmonise your living room" :roll: stuff is just stuff that modern smart TVs do anyway.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Halol TV series, new forza, all the new EA business. Alan Wake devs making a new spacemans game (so look forward to that in 2016).

Smartglass content for telly programs, it sounds like?.

Apparently there are a bunch of exclusive games they're not talking about yet as well.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Also, apparently the new CoD game is going to be out first on the Xbox One, which I cynically think means that this is technically true because they are intending to beat the PS4 to market.
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

Oh no. I won't get generic, gritty racism shooter in 1080p before Sony peeps.

Guess I'll be sticking with Sony, since MS, once again, don't tell me on anything. I am, however, so glad the "Xbox 720" name isn't real. What a fucking retarded meme that was. Duh, Xbox 4 will be called the... what's 720 plus 360?

Also, starting off with Skype and TV. Yeah, I hate it when games get in the way of games consoles' ability to show me telly.
JLTucker
BANNED

Post by JLTucker »

Useful information: http://reviews.cnet.com/microsoft-xbox-one/

Perhaps less useful information: Under the hood, details so far include: an eight-core processor and graphics made by AMD, 8GB of RAM, Blu-ray, USB 3, HDMI in/out, and a 500GB hard drive. Besides all of this, Microsoft is promising a new operating system fusing Xbox and Windows.

If specs are your thing, a comparison with the PS4: http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-9020_7-575 ... station-4/
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

I think we all already knew the specs would be amazingly similar to the PS4.

I have heard that they're massively increasing the number of servers in the Xbox Live infrastructure (by a factor of 20), so hopefully it will be less horribly slow.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Did they reveal enough about specs to demonstrate whether it will be significantly weaker than the PS4, as people had suggested?
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Everything they said about specs is the same as PS4, except it uses DDR3 instead of GDDR5 RAM. (which aren't directly comparable in terms of which will be "better" because they're good at different things)

I would be entirely unsurprised if it's basically the same chip running both of them, both are confirmed to be 8 core AMD x86 chips.
Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

Post by Ritterin Sophia »

Stark wrote:Did they reveal enough about specs to demonstrate whether it will be significantly weaker than the PS4, as people had suggested?
Not that I'm aware of, there wasn't even a single bit of gameplay for the games they announced for it, just pre-rendered cutscenes they said were running on the hardware.
A Certain Clique, HAB, The Chroniclers
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

So... Sony is fucked?

That said, the one is amazingly ugly. Maybe hold off six months to get the new design. :v
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Stark wrote:So... Sony is fucked?

That said, the one is amazingly ugly. Maybe hold off six months to get the new design. :v
Well it does say "box" in the title. :lol:
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
DaveJB
Jedi Council Member

Post by DaveJB »

They did show a little gameplay footage from Call of Duty: Ghosts, and if nothing else it does look noticeably better than the current generation (and Wii U). However, there's been so little actual gameplay footage from the XBOne or PS4 that it's difficult to make any actual guess as to which is the stronger. I'm guessing E3 is when we're going to see anything resembling actual games for the two console.
So... Sony is fucked?
Depends whether they make as much of a shit sandwich of the PS4's launch as they did the Vita's launch. :P
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Since PS4 doesn't have the BD advantage and XBox has always had better marketplace, content and social features, I'm hoping the consoles being parity will make the result even more lopsided than last time.

Now just port World of Tanks and game over. :v
CaptHawkeye
Sith Devotee

Post by CaptHawkeye »

Stark wrote:So... Sony is fucked?

It actually seems to lean back to the first Xbox in appearance I think.
Best care anywhere.