So, New Xbox Reveal In About 14 Hours.

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Re: So, New Xbox Reveal In About 14 Hours.

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

Flagg wrote: I weep for the sixteen year olds who can't call me a faggot anymore.
Sixteen-year-olds? I expect half of them were nearer thirty, if some of the stuff I've experienced and read about online is anything to go by. The kids are just arses. The adults, and I use that term liberally, should know better. It's good to see this kinda thing being clamped down on more, though.
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

Vendetta wrote:The Xbox One has more functionality, but I remain unconvinced that it's functionality people want in an all in one set top box.
If it turns out there's market demand for that stuff, Sony can add it fairly easily; some extra software and bundle their camera with the console. The only thing they can't easily do is high quality gesture recognition (finger position, working in poor light etc), although they've had basic full-body motion control since the PS2 era.
chitoryu12
Jedi Council Member

Post by chitoryu12 »

Flagg wrote:
General Schatten wrote: Does this mean that if you get banned from Live your Xbox One is just a $500 cablebox and those potentially hundreds of dollars worth of games are just gone?
Why not? If you get banned you're either a pirate or a cheater so fuck you. That's my take on it anyway.
So 100% of all bans are on people who are pirating or cheating and there's nobody who gets an unfair ban whatsoever? I don't think any of them would be happy with being literally locked out of all of their brand new games because of something they didn't do.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

I'm sure there are ways to appeal an unfair ban.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Flagg wrote:I'm sure there are ways to appeal an unfair ban.
Didn't something like this happen already during the X360's timeframe when they banned over a thousand people on accident for over a week?

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Mr Bean wrote:
Didn't something like this happen already during the X360's timeframe when they banned over a thousand people on accident for over a week?
Probably. No system is perfect, but as long as they rectify their mistake I don't see an issue.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Sharp-kun
Sith Devotee

Post by Sharp-kun »

Flagg wrote:
Mr Bean wrote:
Probably. No system is perfect, but as long as they rectify their mistake I don't see an issue.
You don't see an issue with someone losing potentially hundreds of £ of games, regardless of the reason they were banned?

Its one thing to ban someone from Live for cheating/piracy. Fair enough, that's a service they run and they can choose who they want to be on it. Its another to take away products people have paid for.

At the very least I would expect my money back if MS were to take my games away.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Not content to repeat Sony's mistakes at the launch of the PS3, Microsoft are also set on repeating EA's blunders from the early days of Origin, where they would ban accounts and prevent users from playing any of the associated games on them...
Ritterin Sophia
Sith Acolyte

Post by Ritterin Sophia »

Flagg wrote:Why not? If you get banned you're either a pirate or a cheater so fuck you. That's my take on it anyway.
Because that's why.
A Certain Clique, HAB, The Chroniclers
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

General Schatten wrote:
Flagg wrote:Why not? If you get banned you're either a pirate or a cheater so fuck you. That's my take on it anyway.
Because that's why.
Yeah, how is this an example? The guy was unbanned.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

The process of fighting against a ban isn't something that is easily done. It is going to be quite annoying for people who simply want a hassle free gaming machine.
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

ray245 wrote:The process of fighting against a ban isn't something that is easily done. It is going to be quite annoying for people who simply want a hassle free gaming machine.
Dude, my account got hacked two years ago and got banned. It took me fifteen minutes on the phone and two emails to get me unbanned in about twelve hours after doing an ip check to verify. It was annoying, but MS wasn't the issue, the dick that hacked my account was.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Sharp-kun
Sith Devotee

Post by Sharp-kun »

I don't think the reason for the ban is relevant. What is relevant is that MS would be taking away products that you've paid for. If I download the latest episode of Dr Who should I have my vast DVD collection confiscated as punishment?
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

Flagg wrote:
ray245 wrote:The process of fighting against a ban isn't something that is easily done. It is going to be quite annoying for people who simply want a hassle free gaming machine.
Dude, my account got hacked two years ago and got banned. It took me fifteen minutes on the phone and two emails to get me unbanned in about twelve hours after doing an ip check to verify. It was annoying, but MS wasn't the issue, the dick that hacked my account was.
It's the twelve hours of waiting I have a problem with. I simply do not enjoy being disturbed when I am (or want to) playing a video game.
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

Sharp-kun wrote:I don't think the reason for the ban is relevant. What is relevant is that MS would be taking away products that you've paid for. If I download the latest episode of Dr Who should I have my vast DVD collection confiscated as punishment?
Dude, MMO's have been doing this for fifteen years. They can "take away" a game you've spent hundreds of dollars on. Turns out you get no sympathy if you're a pirate or cheater and get caught?
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Sharp-kun
Sith Devotee

Post by Sharp-kun »

Flagg wrote:
Sharp-kun wrote:I don't think the reason for the ban is relevant. What is relevant is that MS would be taking away products that you've paid for. If I download the latest episode of Dr Who should I have my vast DVD collection confiscated as punishment?
Dude, MMO's have been doing this for fifteen years. They can "take away" a game you've spent hundreds of dollars on. Turns out you get no sympathy if you're a pirate or cheater and get caught?
As I said before, there's a difference between banning you from a service provided (ie PSN, Live, WoW) and banning you from playing games that don't require it.

I have no issues with MS or Sony banning people from using their servers if they're caught cheating. I do have an issue with them blanket banning games that don't require such services (say single player games where the fact you may have cheated in CoD has no impact whatsoever).

To take Steam as an example, if you're banned there my understanding is you can't buy new games and use the online services but you're still free to play the games you've bought. That's fair.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

Sharp-kun wrote:
Flagg wrote:
As I said before, there's a difference between banning you from a service provided (ie PSN, Live, WoW) and banning you from playing games that don't require it.

I have no issues with MS or Sony banning people from using their servers if they're caught cheating. I do have an issue with them blanket banning games that don't require such services (say single player games where the fact you may have cheated in CoD has no impact whatsoever).

To take Steam as an example, if you're banned there my understanding is you can't buy new games and use the online services but you're still free to play the games you've bought. That's fair.
You sound like a fucking child. Waaaaaa, not fair!
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Sharp-kun
Sith Devotee

Post by Sharp-kun »

Flagg wrote: You sound like a fucking child. Waaaaaa, not fair!
So its ok that someone might lose a few hundred pounds worth of software because they cheated (or are suspected of cheating) at CoD?

Maybe I'm old fashioned in that I like to own what I buy. I presume MS's T&C's for the Xbone will say you don't actually own any game you buy for the console so they can take them away at will.
Shinova
Emperor's Hand

Post by Shinova »

Flagg wrote: Dude, MMO's have been doing this for fifteen years. They can "take away" a game you've spent hundreds of dollars on. Turns out you get no sympathy if you're a pirate or cheater and get caught?
This has nothing to do with whether you're a cheater or not. Also nothing to do with being a pirate cause we're talking about legitimately bought games right now.

Okay so you're cheating or being an ass online, and having online connectivity taken away from you is one thing because that connectivity is a service they're providing you with certain rules and conditions attached. But outright taking away from you the product you've paid for and own? Remember, online connectivity is a service, but individual games are property, paid for and belonging to you. It's like you're in a boxing ring and you hit the other guy too hard in the wrong place during a sparring session. You might have to apologize, be banned from sparring, even be banned from said gym, or perhaps even have to pay medical costs for the other guy. But do they take your personal boxing gloves that you bought at Big Five or Sport Chalet away from you? No they don't.

Now xbox one is different granted because Microsoft is making it pretty clear that they are allowing gamers the license for the privilege to play games, not pay to actually own games.

Still, try to understand the reasons why this whole taking away your games if you get banned is iffy at best.
What's her bust size!?

It's over NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAAAND!!!!!!!!!
DaveJB
Jedi Council Member

Post by DaveJB »

If there's one saving grace to this situation, it's that MS's tweets haven't really been specific enough to clarify whether they're going to take the same approach as Steam and only go for complete account obliteration in the event of transaction fraud, or whether you could potentially have your game collection nuked for using an unapproved server or saying something really stupid in a moment of frustration in an online match. But if the latter does turn out to be true, does it strike anyone as a remotely proportional reaction?

And that's ignoring that the XBone has two competitors, both cheaper, one of which is more powerful, and neither of which has the same restrictions on gaming usage as the XBone.
chitoryu12
Jedi Council Member

Post by chitoryu12 »

Flagg wrote:
General Schatten wrote:
Because that's why.
Yeah, how is this an example? The guy was unbanned.
Unbanned after the mayor of the town got involved. There's also cases where people who are unfairly banned DON'T get their accounts restarted and have to wait for the ban to expire, if it ever does, and support won't hear your complaints. I know big name companies don't really care about the consumer when they claim that they do, but Microsoft isn't even trying to pretend. They're almost transparently evil.

And even if they do, it doesn't matter because denying people the ability to use the things they spent large amounts of money on over a mistake on your part is being an asshole. Calling people whiners for not being happy that they may lose all of their games for an indeterminate length of time because of a rule that they didn't violate is being an asshole. I know we don't have as much of a problem with that here as other forums do, but you're being an asshole for the wrong reasons and being a bigger asshole when you get called out on it.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

chitoryu12 wrote:
Unbanned after the mayor of the town got involved. There's also cases where people who are unfairly banned DON'T get their accounts restarted and have to wait for the ban to expire, if it ever does, and support won't hear your complaints. I know big name companies don't really care about the consumer when they claim that they do, but Microsoft isn't even trying to pretend. They're almost transparently evil.

And even if they do, it doesn't matter because denying people the ability to use the things they spent large amounts of money on over a mistake on your part is being an asshole. Calling people whiners for not being happy that they may lose all of their games for an indeterminate length of time because of a rule that they didn't violate is being an asshole. I know we don't have as much of a problem with that here as other forums do, but you're being an asshole for the wrong reasons and being a bigger asshole when you get called out on it.
Eat me, you whiny child. Oh the pirates won't someone please think of the pirates? Hey, you can get jailed mistakenly maybe we should just scrap every justice system on Earth?
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Melchior
Jedi Master

Post by Melchior »

Flagg wrote: Eat me, you whiny child. Oh the pirates won't someone please think of the pirates? Hey, you can get jailed mistakenly maybe we should just scrap every justice system on Earth?
The point here is that you can buy the other, largely equivalent or superior, console, a platform where that sort of thing can't happen.
Dark Primus
Jedi Master

Post by Dark Primus »

Thought you guys wanted to see this, unless it had already been posted.

Angry Joe interview with Major Nelson
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RtSGFryKwo
EAT SHIT AND DIE! - Because I say so

"Me Grimlock Badass" -Grimlock
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

Melchior wrote:
Flagg wrote: Eat me, you whiny child. Oh the pirates won't someone please think of the pirates? Hey, you can get jailed mistakenly maybe we should just scrap every justice system on Earth?
The point here is that you can buy the other, largely equivalent or superior, console, a platform where that sort of thing can't happen.
By all means, people who don't want to get banned for piracy and cheating should get the psfail.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw