Warframe: Free to Play Third Person Coops Bizniz.

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Steel
Jedi Master

Re: Warframe: Free to Play Third Person Coops Bizniz.

Post by Steel »

Do we know if they're going to have cross platform play? Presumably not?
Apparently nobody can see you without a signature.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

I don't think they've announced anything other than "is happening".

Cross platform would theoretically be easy enough for Warframe at least, it's all server side account business anyway, and it's already perfectly playable with a pad on PC, and as a coops game you're not in a position where you're getting instaheadshot by people with high precision mice all day.
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

The only PvP for Warframe is the dueling room and that was even noted by the devs to be a blow-off room for unbalanced fucking around and is unlikely to get any serious development. PvE is their current focus to keep the quality up and the money flowing in with constant small content releases. Bothering with PvP balancing doesn't fit either criteria.

Their P2P hosting system shouldn't have any issue with cross-play on the PS4. At least not anymore than is currently what with constantly being put into games I can only assume are hosting on 14.4k dial-up. I would assume they'd have issues on the XBox side of things, for numerous reasons. Either way, there's more than a few players who use controllers for the game even though I don't find it all that useful considering how the options are tied together. They need to fix that.

On the development front, the materials cost for the Dojo is staggering. Just building connecting rooms can take days of farming for small guilds, not to mention the ridiculous amounts of Forma that is needed (an exceedingly rare drop that's needed in amounts that almost certainly require your guild to pay cash money for. It also has other far more important uses like further upgrading Frames and weapons... so yea.). Small guilds are essentially non-viable unless you have wads of cash laying around in your Steam wallet. Not surprising, but it would have been nice to give some kind of incentive to not form super-massive guilds.
DireApostasy
Redshirt

Post by DireApostasy »

TheFeniX wrote:On the development front, the materials cost for the Dojo is staggering. Just building connecting rooms can take days of farming for small guilds, not to mention the ridiculous amounts of Forma that is needed (an exceedingly rare drop that's needed in amounts that almost certainly require your guild to pay cash money for. It also has other far more important uses like further upgrading Frames and weapons... so yea.). Small guilds are essentially non-viable unless you have wads of cash laying around in your Steam wallet. Not surprising, but it would have been nice to give some kind of incentive to not form super-massive guilds.
They've been made aware of this problem (aparently their thoughts on what an "average" guild size is were skewed by the ebsolutely enormous guilds kicking about) and apparently they plan to rebalance costs on dojo stuff. Either scaling based on members (to a point) or just outright reducing, I dunno.
Victory and Death are the twin sons of War ~ Saint Sabbat
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Is it summer already? Anyone else noticing a distinct increase in people acting like pedantic shits when pugging? I had a guy go into paragraphs of diatribe because I threw one waypoint and hit the "Your teammate needs help opening a door" button. Another guy flipped his shit because I dropped a Snow Globe on Golem. I've had more than a few run-ins besides these two over this past week and I've just been doing the same bit I've always been doing. I may go back to Loki and troll the shit out of people for grins.

Anyways, the Dojo is still crawling along. We're finally research Corpus stuff but it's going hella slow. My Warframe collection grows as I am now about to start crafting Vauban. The Kunai are ridiculously over-powered, making me finally set my Lex aside. And the Strun is still a fucking beast, especially when polarized. I have loads of Void Keys, but I hate getting groups together to use them and my clan uses mumble (ugh) and rarely read Clan chat. Oh well, I'm playing less as it is while we stage the house anyways.
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Two years later, the game is still going strong. They tried to get me into Minecraft, but I couldn't do it. Not for $25. Anyways, we got back into Warframe and have been having a pretty good time. Game is still not gimping you for not dumping money. Our new guy is over a hundred hours in and is having fun with just the starting Platinum (in-game money). They finally buffed Ember. She is incredibly powerful against Infested now, which is great for the "new" derelict missions. We really just need a forth to take them to later waves.

Everything purely cosmetic still costs and they've added a lot. Rather than being stuck at a menu unless in a mission, you now walk around a small ship (the one from all the cutscenes) and do all your crafting and outfitting from there. The Clan system has, thankfully, been reworked. You no longer need tons of mats to research/craft anything. The amount of mats you need is dependent on your clan size. This is a godsend as our 3-man Clan is viable. We have all the research labs built and we're making progress. Every room still costs Forma which is a rare blueprint drop, or you buy it. Still, I figured the F2P system would lead to straight greed, and it really hasn't. Material drops have been buffed considerably. If you're willing to loot hunt during missions, it will pay off in spades.

They have also added a new mission mode: Archwings. If you've played Zone of the Enders: pretty much the same thing. You fly in either space or underwater, blasting/meleeing things to death. It's pretty fun, but limited at first as it's hard to farm up mods.

Spy missions have been reworked. You now have to run a security gauntlet. If you get spotted, a timer kicks down till data destruction. Be fast. Be Silent. It's not easy. Some of the hacking mini-games have gone insane. I like them.

I figured we'd come back and be so far behind to be a joke. Like many MMOs during mid-expansion. Nope, a lot of my stuff was grand-fathered in. We're doing missions, there's some new tutorials, we're back to ninja cyborgs in space. Still worth the time, even if you don't care to drop any money. I've been using my left-over platinum just to buy warframe slots as I've been building Mag, (just got) Valkyr, and Hydroid.

There's more: resource extractors, PvP mode, more mission types, including ones where you side with either the Corpus or Grineer. New mob types, some incredibly annoying. Too much to go into really.