Want A New Phone And The Most Important Feature Needs To Be

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Havok
Miscreant

Want A New Phone And The Most Important Feature Needs To Be

Post by Havok »

4.64 x 2.50 x 0.43 inches (63.5 x 117.75 x 10.95 mm)
Like for real. I don't want it to be any bigger than this which are the dimensions of my ATRIX.
I'm not set on brand nor OS. It should have a removable sim card, but even that isn't a deal breaker. I would prefer fingerprint security, but Stark says it isn't common anymore.

Suggestions?
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Alferd Packer
Sith Marauder

Re: Want A New Phone And The Most Important Feature Needs To

Post by Alferd Packer »

Galaxy S3 Mini? I would recommend the S3, of course, as I love mine, but it's definitely nowhere near your size requirements.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is contempt prior to investigation." -Herbert Spencer

"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain." - Schiller, Die Jungfrau von Orleans, III vi.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

I bet he's never had a recommendation for the most popular phone in the world before. :V

The S3 mini is a good match to his size. Is the weak processor a problem with modern stuff?
Napoleon the Clown
Jedi Council Member

Post by Napoleon the Clown »

Looking at the specs, it should run stuff just fine. Few apps ask for more than what the Mini offers, I would imagine.
Sig images are for people who aren't fucking lazy.
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Post by Admiral Valdemar »

Fingerprint security, as with face lock, is a joke anyway. A good passcode on an encrypted volume is all you need (and a complex one, not a stupid slide pattern or four digit deal).

But, really, if someone has physical access to your device, consider it lost. The idea is to never lose it or never keep sensitive stuff on.

I would also throw the Lumia 920 out there or Experia T. The iPhone 5 too, if you are really not bothered about which OS.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Well I have left my phone around and my friends know what kind of goodies are on my phone and no one has gotten through my fingerprint reader yet so I have no complaints. They seem to be completely gone though.

Any way, looks like that Sony may be the way I go. How does Windows stack up to Android though?
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

The experience is better but the ecosystem is smaller. There will probably be all the apps you care about, though.

Win8 phones make me sad the phone market is about trapping people lol.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Do you like Windows better than Android?
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
xthetenth
Jedi Master

Post by xthetenth »

I've been using a Windows phone for a while and it usually works quite well. The only lasting annoyance I have is that the web browser doesn't have a back button in each tab and the hardware back button just doesn't always cut it because it goes back along your history. Everything else is really nice and works quite well. It has a definite coherence of design that makes things pretty easy once you're used to it.

Unfortunately I can't directly compare to Android because I previously used an iPhone, which I didn't like as much for a lot of little reasons.
Lord Relvenous
Jedi Council Member

Post by Lord Relvenous »

If you've been on an Android, switching over to a Windows phone is annoying for a bit before you get used to it. Android is based off sideways swiping in a lot of areas, whereas Windows doesn't use much side-to-side swiping for commands (as in, not at all). Other input themes are different as well (Windows has a heavy emphasis on press-and-hold to bring up more options). The end result is that the Windows OS doesn't feel user-friendly for Android users until they've been able to unlearn the habits that Android built in. After that, it's a pretty good system, and it comes with built-in compatibility with Windows 8 on desktops for easier synchronizing and whatnot.

Hav, are your stipulations on size hard lines? The Droid Razr (not M or MAXX) is a good phone that is just slightly larger than what you've got now. As it is, it's still a very convenient phone to carry.
Coyote: Warm it in the microwave first to avoid that 'necrophelia' effect.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Havok wrote:Do you like Windows better than Android?
Is this a joke?

The number one advantage of Android is that it stops the army of Android enthusiasts attacking you whenever you use your phone. The number two advantage is... I'll get back to you. :v The win8 experience is pretty good (better than iOS even) and I'd say the only real downside is that you won't have trillions of apps.
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Stark wrote:
Is this a joke?

The number one advantage of Android is that it stops the army of Android enthusiasts attacking you whenever you use your phone. The number two advantage is... I'll get back to you. :v The win8 experience is pretty good (better than iOS even) and I'd say the only real downside is that you won't have trillions of apps.
Ha, oh man. I'm going to have to use that Android thing sometime.

I have messed about with a couple of Win8 handsets and, I must say, I like the text edit method and the active tiles. Still, I value the ecosystem of iOS more. No doubt Win8 will advance, I just feel sorry for the people who went for Win7/7.5/7.8 and got sucker punched by Win8.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Yes the size is a hardline. On top of the fact that I hate big ass phones, where I keep my phone while I ride is very fixed and it s not going to change.

And Stark, I honestly have no idea what the differences are between the different OSs of the phones, but I trust your judgement which is why I asked.

Thanks for the suggestions guys and gals.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

Stark wrote:If you get a win8 one and like it Zak and I will end up bemoaning the prison of paid content. :(
If it makes you feel any better, you can send your App Store stuff to me. :P
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Can you really do that? I would totally offload my shit only Sherry and try a new phone. It sucks that so much of the business model of Google and Apple is around locking people in so consumers can't go where the good stuff is. I was going to try an Android tablet even, but I decided to stick with one that works. The Surface was sadly too expensive.

I think for a user like Hav, the smaller app selection won't be a big deal because he's not out for the latest whatever streamer or AAA shooter title. And he'll be able to use Xbox Smartglass, which is the only app he needs!
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Stark wrote: It sucks that so much of the business model of Google and Apple is around locking people in so consumers can't go where the good stuff is.
Is the Window 8 phone business model any different ?
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

No, but it lacks a) a cheap model like the old android phones to capture as many people as possible and b) a competitive ecosystem. It'll always be the little brother of the market. I didn't mean to imply any of the players are different; I left win8 off because that's the one I'd switch to if the system wasn't designed to prevent it.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

My app list: Ebay, Paypal, Facebook, flashlight, Amazon, Craigslist, Pandora, Firefox, NFL and Lookout Security.
Any issues with a Windows phone there?
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

Dude is lookout security one of those terrible theft things? :V

And there's nfl apps, I dunno if one of them is the offical one or not. Stuff like amazon and fb is a no-brainer.
Admiral Valdemar
Outside Context Problem

I think this digital content thing will have to be dealt with when more people die and have a good chunk of change put into App Store content. Who owns it then? I believe you can change the ownership of Steam items.
xthetenth
Jedi Master

Post by xthetenth »

Havok wrote:My app list: Ebay, Paypal, Facebook, flashlight, Amazon, Craigslist, Pandora, Firefox, NFL and Lookout Security.
Any issues with a Windows phone there?
Busy right now but I'll check for you sometime tonight. I know it has equivalents to most and wp8's Pandora is ad free for like a year so it's the best but I don't know about stuff like lookout.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Lookout is probably the least important, I'm not even sure if it was turned on before I just did the last reboot. I kinda figured they are all available otherwise.

Well I'm close to deciding. I kinda want a Windows8 phone just to be different, (plus I'm going to be getting a new laptop soon that has Windows8 and like Stark said, Xbox) but I was so fucking happy with my last Sony that I'm probably going to get the Xperia.

Any last suggestions?
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

Probably, but not on AT&T and I don't feel like starting up with a new carrier. AT&T has always given me awesome coverage. They are fuckballs ass expensive though. Not as expensive as a new unlocked Sony phone though. I mean, I get the Xperia for like $40 and I just have to reup with a company I trust. I can get the Lumina for free as well.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)