Mechwarrior Online

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Re: Mechwarrior Online

Post by PainRack »

Why do you like the new lazorz? I still remember Stark complaining that the idea of not being able to inflict damage was wrong.....

Now, no complains, I DO like that they make mechs more durable and I like the style of lasers, the only complain I have is that they made large lasers worthless without DHS, because its actually harder to hit a mech with a large than a med.

To me, the game still have the same gameplay problem of 3 and 4, namely, certain weapons systems were useless and it devolves rapidly into cookie builds. It made a difference of course, the weapons systems here are merely marginal instead of worthless, autocannons are much more useful here than in the past(although I suspect the only reason why the Gauss rifle doesn't make them obsolete is due to the short range of the game).
Let him land on any Lyran world to taste firsthand the wrath of peace loving people thwarted by the myopic greed of a few miserly old farts- Katrina Steiner
Cykeisme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Cykeisme »

Was there some issue with the lazorz in previous iterations of the game?
At present they work fine.. the detailed stats tracking (including per-weapon stats) for my use of large and mediums indicates they're working all right, and I don't see any complaints about them on the official forums right now.

Can you describe the issue with the lazorz?
"..history has shown the best defense against heavy cavalry are pikemen, so aircraft should mount lances on their noses and fly in tight squares to fend off bombers". - RedImperator

"ha ha, raping puppies is FUN!" - Johonebesus

"It would just be Unicron with pew pew instead of nom nom". - Vendetta, explaining his justified disinterest in the idea of the movie Allspark affecting the Death Star
PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Post by PainRack »

Oh... it seems that its changed now. I just rechecked the wiki.

I was under the impression that large laser required 1.5 seconds of lock on time to do damage.
Let him land on any Lyran world to taste firsthand the wrath of peace loving people thwarted by the myopic greed of a few miserly old farts- Katrina Steiner
Hawkwings
Sith Devotee

Post by Hawkwings »

Ahahaha. Ahaha. No.

This implementation of lasers (hitscan damage over time rather than laser blobs flying towards enemies) makes much more sense and elegantly differentiates lasers from ballistics. And it's one of the few excellent decisions that PGI made.
Vendetta wrote:Richard Gatling was a pioneer in US national healthcare. On discovering that most soldiers during the American Civil War were dying of disease rather than gunshots, he turned his mind to, rather than providing better sanitary conditions and medical care for troops, creating a machine to make sure they got shot faster.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

And a decision that could have (and should have) been made literally a decade ago. Pretty 'excellent' work! Too bad the damage and targeting model is still ass so it isn't as interesting as it could have been, but I guess they deserve credit for dragging the franchise out of the 80s.
PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Post by PainRack »

Hawkwings wrote:Ahahaha. Ahaha. No.

This implementation of lasers (hitscan damage over time rather than laser blobs flying towards enemies) makes much more sense and elegantly differentiates lasers from ballistics. And it's one of the few excellent decisions that PGI made.
I'm not. I was complaining that large lasers were worthless, because my memory of my time in game was that larger lasers required an even longer DOT than medium lasers but it seems that I either remembered this wrongly or that it has changed