Rome 2 Total war Faction preview

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Thanas
Magister
Magister

Re: Rome 2 Total war Faction preview

Post by Thanas »

The battle of the Teutoburg "forest" should be named the most misnamed battle in history as it did not take place in a forest at all. It should be better known as the "battle of the Teutoburg trade road". But hey, expecting anything but pop history in CA games is kinda lol anyway.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

As for the battle itself, chariots are clearly overpowered and behave more like modern tanks instead of horses who are afraid to run into pointy things. same with the bales of hay. It looks like checking for collisions/evading is not the AI's strong suit.

The Zoom in and zoom out feature is great.
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

I'm not sure whether having capture points on the battle map would actually make the real time battles more fun though.
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

It could stop the old "screw original positioning, just run up the hill" trick. But I fear capture points are a bit stupid as they will essentially force you to not maneuver at all.
------------
------------
My LPs
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

Thanas wrote:It could stop the old "screw original positioning, just run up the hill" trick. But I fear capture points are a bit stupid as they will essentially force you to not maneuver at all.
You will probably end up with players using the good old Spartan Box tactic.
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
Lord_Of_Change 9
Youngling

Post by Lord_Of_Change 9 »

Yeah, those chariots sure are overpowered. Same with the artillery, one shot sent a whole cohort flying around like bowling pins.

As for the capture points, I'll reserve judgement till I can see first-hand how they work in-game. Probably should work to counter the old strategy of sitting your Spartans in the corner of the map and being invincible. Apparently in city sieges there are also multiple capture points so you can fight to take over the temples, palaces, etc. instead of just slogging in the city plaza like before.

I also like the full-screen tactical map you can bring up and the unit view camera. As well as the new Ptolemaic Egypt they have, which is far better than RTW1's New-Kingdom-in-280-BC version.
Vaporous
Jedi Knight

Post by Vaporous »

As long as "mod the shit out of everything" is still an option, I'm on board.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

I hope they reversed that godawful decision to lock up the files so that those evil modders could not open them.
------------
------------
My LPs