ATTN: When talking about the plot of a game....

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Thanas
Magister
Magister

ATTN: When talking about the plot of a game....

Post by Thanas »

...please remember to use spoiler tags.

Thank you.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Re: ATTN: When talking about the plot of a game....

Post by Stark »

Does this make 'spoilers' in the thread title meaningless and should people stop relying on it being taken seriously? Should we depreciate this use for individual spoiler boxes?
Pint0 Xtreme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Pint0 Xtreme »

Stark wrote:Does this make 'spoilers' in the thread title meaningless and should people stop relying on it being taken seriously? Should we depreciate this use for individual spoiler boxes?
I personally dislike the concept of 'spoilerizing' an entire thread since it dissuades me from even opening the thread in the case I want to discuss something about the game's mechanics without having the game's story plot ruined for me.
DPDarkPrimus
Emperor's Hand

Post by DPDarkPrimus »

Pint0 Xtreme wrote:
Stark wrote:Does this make 'spoilers' in the thread title meaningless and should people stop relying on it being taken seriously? Should we depreciate this use for individual spoiler boxes?
I personally dislike the concept of 'spoilerizing' an entire thread since it dissuades me from even opening the thread in the case I want to discuss something about the game's mechanics without having the game's story plot ruined for me.
Apparently that's not a popular position to take around here.
Mayabird is my girlfriend
Justice League:BotM:MM:SDnet City Watch:Cybertron's Finest
"Well then, science is bullshit. "
-revprez, with yet another brilliant rebuttal.
Stark
Emperor's Hand

Post by Stark »

If you could do anything but whine you might get somewhere. You'd think you'd be happy that it appears your passive-aggression has resulted in a change of expectation, but you just can't stop the fucking q.q can you?

Once its confirmed that the board depreciates thread title spoiler tags in this forum, there will be less misunderstandings in this regard.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Wait, what? Wasn't this already dealt with by Alyeska? I'm confused now.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

Does this mean that in other forums it will no longer be possible to indicate that a thread will contain spoilers as has been done for years? Or does this only apply here?
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
Formless
Sith Marauder

Post by Formless »

Why do you guys think the two concepts are mutually exclusive? Thanas hasn't indicated such. Sure it might seem redundant, but still. I'm not seeing any reason to get irritated over this.
"Still, I would love to see human beings, and their constituent organ systems, trivialized and commercialized to the same extent as damn iPods and other crappy consumer products. It would be absolutely horrific, yet so wonderful." — Shroom Man 777
"To Err is Human; to Arrr is Pirate." — Skallagrim
“I would suggest "Schmuckulating", which is what Futurists do and, by extension, what they are." — Commenter "Rayneau"
The Magic Eight Ball Conspiracy.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Formless wrote:Why do you guys think the two concepts are mutually exclusive? Thanas hasn't indicated such. Sure it might seem redundant, but still. I'm not seeing any reason to get irritated over this.
Because my instinct tells me that there's an instigator behind this who complained about spoilers in in a thread titled as having spoilers, didn't get his way, and went "mod shopping".
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Formless
Sith Marauder

Post by Formless »

... AND? That doesn't answer my question, Flagg. Frankly, I don't know nor do I care what arguments you've had over this with whomever. Overlord Thanas made his decision, now why do you think it invalidates the old practice of putting spoiler warnings in a thread title?
"Still, I would love to see human beings, and their constituent organ systems, trivialized and commercialized to the same extent as damn iPods and other crappy consumer products. It would be absolutely horrific, yet so wonderful." — Shroom Man 777
“I would suggest "Schmuckulating", which is what Futurists do and, by extension, what they are." — Commenter "Rayneau"
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

Formless wrote:... AND? That doesn't answer my question, Flagg. Frankly, I don't know nor do I care what arguments you've had over this with whomever. Overlord Thanas made his decision, now why do you think it invalidates the old practice of putting spoiler warnings in a thread title?
I never said it did. But we have conflicting moderator decisions now. I simply want clarification. And if it's policy in this forum that all spoilers must be in spoiler tags, then is it policy boardwide now? I'm in no way questioning a mod action or new board policy, I simply want to know what the policy is now. As does almost everyone else in this thread.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Formless
Sith Marauder

Post by Formless »

Well, then my question was never addressed at you Flagg. Its Ford and Stark that make me wonder. I've seen places where the two practices exist in parallel, and I've never got the impression that it confuses people. Conflicting moderator decisions, okay, but I usually chalk that up to hidden discussion in the moderator forum.
Block
Jedi Council Member

Post by Block »

Formless wrote:Well, then my question was never addressed at you Flagg. Its Ford and Stark that make me wonder. I've seen places where the two practices exist in parallel, and I've never got the impression that it confuses people. Conflicting moderator decisions, okay, but I usually chalk that up to hidden discussion in the moderator forum.
They're irritated because in a thread about the Walking Dead Game that was clearly marked "Spoilers inside" Dark Primus complained that there were spoilers not inside spoiler tags. Alyeksa told him to stop whining as the thread being marked was enough, and since this decision appeared after Thanas came back it looks like DP went crying to Thanas after he didn't get his way with Alyeksa.
ryacko
Padawan Learner

Post by ryacko »

Flagg wrote:
Formless wrote:Why do you guys think the two concepts are mutually exclusive? Thanas hasn't indicated such. Sure it might seem redundant, but still. I'm not seeing any reason to get irritated over this.
Because my instinct tells me that there's an instigator behind this who complained about spoilers in in a thread titled as having spoilers, didn't get his way, and went "mod shopping".
Wait.

Each moderator acts independently and does not consult the others? That'd be pretty poor management.
Suffering from the diminishing marginal utility of wealth.
Ford Prefect
Emperor's Hand

Post by Ford Prefect »

A decision is a decision, but this decision is out of line with accepted best practice in other subforums and I don't think it's unreasonable to ask for a clarification.
What is Project Zohar?

Here's to a certain mostly harmless nutcase.
Havok
Miscreant

Post by Havok »

So certain people have no self control and/or can't start their own "no spoilers" version of threads in Games and Computers like has been successfully done in every other forum... I even think in Testing once or twice, and now we all have to acquiesce to them?

I thought this was a place of intelligence and mockery of the lack of it, not appealing to the lowest common denominator. Although I guess it fits the current status quo as N&P reads more like a Newsweek now.
It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.
Hit it.
Blank Yellow (NSFW)
"Mostly Harmless Nutcase"
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

To elaborate:

When you see a thread with Spoiler
in the title, anything goes. Don't come crying if that won't work. If however you see a thread about, say, the latest RTS game or whatever, you should spolerize things like massive plot developments.

Example:

A: [Spoilers] Diablo 3 - anything goes concerning the Diablo III plot
B: Diablo 3 discussion - please spoilerize things like Spoiler
So Ms Stereotype 101 was actually carrying Diablo within her? Lame. Thanks for hitting me over the head with it, Blizzard
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

So status quo, no policy change at all. Gotcha.
Chronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

Out of Context Theatre, this week starring Darth Nostril.
-'If you really want to fuck with these idiots tell them that there is a vaccine for chemtrails.'

Fiction!: The Final War (Bolo/Lovecraft) (Ch 7 9/15/11), Living (D&D, Complete)Image
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Indeed. Just a friendly reminder to actually adhere to that policy.
------------
------------
My LPs
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

Thanks for the clarification, Thanas. :)
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw